PDA

View Full Version : Kahr CW9 Bobtailed, w/ Grip Tape On Slide

Zunkted
02-11-2011, 09:34 PM
!!!
http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/3401/img0285bo.jpg (http://img696.imageshack.us/i/img0285bo.jpg/)

jpshaw
02-12-2011, 05:49 AM
Where did find the extra length barrel? I wouldn't necessarily need a ported one but the extra little bit in length might give some a little more fps.

deuce
02-12-2011, 06:41 AM
Wow, looks fantastic. How's that Hogue Handell Jr sleeve feel to ya. I needed a little more room for my middle finger so i installed my sleeve upside down. Just a tip.:)

Zunkted
02-12-2011, 08:57 AM
!!!

copterdrvr
02-12-2011, 09:20 AM
Is the difference in muzzle rise very noticable? In other words, is it worth the money? :D

I've been thinking about getting one but wanted to hear from a "real" user first!

Wish they made a CW40 barrel-heck, I'd order it right now-anyway!

BuckeyeBlast
02-12-2011, 09:37 AM
Hot looking piece. Nice work.

Zunkted
02-12-2011, 11:48 AM
!!!

copterdrvr
02-13-2011, 07:55 AM
First off, thanks for your reply! I agree that my CW9 doesn't "really" need it as it is a super sweet shooter without it. Thanks for the link for the CW40, as usual, I somehow missed it!!!

Just tried to place the order-every time I click on it and look at my "cart", it disappears! Maybe it's not "really" available yet.

Thanks again.

Cruizer
02-13-2011, 09:26 AM
Also I will update later on how I put the grip tape on the slide and how I did the bobtail cut also.

Can't wait.
Phenomenal job all around!!! Really like the grip tape on the back end of the slide.

TheTman
02-13-2011, 11:52 AM
I noticed that they had removed the ported .40 barrel from the accessories page, and emailed Kahr to enquire about it, and they said in the reply that is no longer available in .40.
I thought that was kind of stupid, since it would probably be a lot more helpful on a CW40 than a CW9.

copterdrvr
02-13-2011, 01:40 PM
That is totally stupid, if you ask me. Guess I'll have to send it to MagnaPort.

jlottmc
02-13-2011, 03:30 PM
Ok, I am now thinking about putting a mirror finish on the slide and all metal parts, and putting that grip tape in like that. I'm not a big fan of kut my Kahr, but that one is not bad. I need to find some time now.

jocko
02-13-2011, 05:13 PM
That is totally stupid, if you ask me. Guess I'll have to send it to MagnaPort.

I doubt if they sold many of the extened ported barrels in the first place. certainly if they sold well they wold have kept it in the line Still makes no sense to drop it as it has been offered for quite a few years..:israel:

Personally, u will like the mgna port version better..

Zunkted
02-13-2011, 08:53 PM
!!!

MikeyKahr
02-13-2011, 10:07 PM
Thank you, I just added a how to for the Grip Tape and the Bobtail it's on the first page. Sorry that it's not as detailed as it could of been but I did my best to explain how I did it. As for the grip tape on the front of the slide I don't think it's going to hold very well the tape moves when I try to rack it from the front. I'm probably going to take the front grip tape off and just do one big piece instead of 4 little pieces it should hold up much better.

Thanks for taking the time to add the how to to the original post, Zunkted and welcome to our little Kahrtalk discussion board. Let us know how the front grip tape change works out for you. It's neat to see a new "home improvement" to a Kahr every once in a while, particularly one that looks good and has a purpose. I think I'd prefer the tape on just the back of the slide in the grooves personally but to each his own.

copterdrvr
02-14-2011, 12:04 PM
Well, I didn't call but I DID email and I got a quick response from Nathan Arsenault. He said that it'll probably be a couple of months before they get any new barrels from the vendor that manufactures them for Kahr, but they ARE on order.

I'm sure you're right Jocko, I was just hoping to not have to send any of my precious gun parts through the mail!!!!

djans1397
02-17-2011, 11:14 PM
Very nice looking gun you have there. 2 questions though;

1.) won't the grip tape prematurely wear your holster AND doesn't it impede or drag the unhosltering process a tad?

2.) I have a Wilson Combat CQB Coompact with the same "round butt" effect to it and I really like it. I also feel that it prints a little less AND I like the way it fits in my smaller hands. Have you found the same to be true with your mod?

Thanks,
Dan

frank_drebin
02-18-2011, 05:35 AM
Your gun looks very nice. I bob'd the tail on my CW40 and just slightly on my PM40 to get rid of the tell-tale edge.

Diocoles
02-18-2011, 07:21 AM
Waiting on how you did the grip tape. That looks nice.

Zunkted
02-18-2011, 08:42 PM
Very nice looking gun you have there. 2 questions though;

1.) won't the grip tape prematurely wear your holster AND doesn't it impede or drag the unhosltering process a tad?

2.) I have a Wilson Combat CQB Coompact with the same "round butt" effect to it and I really like it. I also feel that it prints a little less AND I like the way it fits in my smaller hands. Have you found the same to be true with your mod?

Thanks,
Dan

Yes, the grip tape on the front of the slide will wear the holster a bit, and it doesn't really drag that much. Every time I holster and unholstered my cw9 with that grip tape on the front I was like OOOOOOOOOOOO my leather!!!:eek: LOL, but it's only a $20.00 dollar Don Hume so it doesn't really bother me. As of recently I took the front grip tape off because it moved when you tried to rack it from the front and I was going to try a bigger piece on their instead of 4 little piece's but I haven't got to do that yet but it should work a lot better. The grip tape in the rear serations doesn't rub on the inside of my don hume at all.

The bobtail cut, I really didn't notice a difference with the cut. I always wanted to bobtail my custom built 1911 but never really wanted to spend the money on doing it. I don't really plan on carrying my 1911 either so the bobtail wouldn't help me much on it so I just decided to do it to my cw9 and I thought it would be cool to try and it was free. I like it and would do it again, it my not make much of a difference but I like it. It make's it look different from the rest.

frank_drebin - Thank you, I like it too. Also glad to hear that I'm not the only one who did it either, lol.

Diocoles - Thank you, and yes the how to for the grip tape is on my first post on the first page.

Cornel
02-23-2011, 07:13 PM
Great work Zunkted!!

Is not everyday we get to see a nice mod. on ours guns.

Hey Frank! just out of curiosity, could you post couple of pic's of your CW40 and PM40?

TIA!!

Zunkted
02-23-2011, 09:24 PM
!!!

MrToad
02-24-2011, 07:04 AM
I noticed that they had removed the ported .40 barrel from the accessories page, and emailed Kahr to enquire about it, and they said in the reply that is no longer available in .40.
I thought that was kind of stupid, since it would probably be a lot more helpful on a CW40 than a CW9.
They need to update their site. I did a google search and came across this:
http://www.kahr.com/Guide-Rods-and-Barrels/Kahr-40-Ported-Barrel-P40-and-CW40.asp
It's weird, you can add it to your cart, but on examining the cart it's not there.

frank_drebin
02-24-2011, 08:25 AM
Great work Zunkted!!

Is not everyday we get to see a nice mod. on ours guns.

Hey Frank! just out of curiosity, could you post couple of pic's of your CW40 and PM40?

TIA!!

Well, after I bobbed it, I bobbed it a little more....... :D

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc81/jbabbler/pistols/CW40-5.jpg

Zunkted
04-22-2011, 01:12 PM
!!!

Cornel
04-22-2011, 04:59 PM
Zunkted... thanks for bringing this up again!!

To me is nice looking piece of work. I would really like to do the bob tail to my CW45 sometime in the near future, meaning before this year's end.

Wish me luck!!

TheTman
04-22-2011, 05:57 PM
Maybe it's good news that they didn't remove the ported .40 barrel page. Might mean they are planning on getting some more in stock.
I think the magna porting looks much nicer, and probably works better, but I like the idea of being able to return the gun to "stock" condition with a quick barrel change in case I had to sell it, plus you might gain a few FPS with the extra length.
Some people will not buy a gun with porting for self defense. Something about struggling over possesion of the gun with a bad guy and having the gun go off and blowing burning powder into your face.

Zunkted
04-22-2011, 07:44 PM
!!!

BOBBO268
03-10-2012, 02:06 AM
bringing up an old page here.... any else ever try the grip tape? post some pictures :)

AlbinLee
03-11-2012, 04:36 AM
You ought to do black crayola in the roll markings (glocktalk style!). I did my CW9 and I think it looks great. With the griptape on your slide and all, this minor detail would really add some more contrast and probably look awesome. Overall your pistol looks cool, especially with the ported bbl!

Does the rifling come all the way out to the end of the barrel, or does it stop before the port? Just wondering.