PDA

View Full Version : AR build

joshh
02-15-2011, 11:31 AM
planning my first AR build.
i live in MA and have some rules to follow:
no push button telescopic stock
no flash suppressor (muzzle brake ok if pinned & welded)
no bayonet lug
no threaded barrel
i want to this one to be a lighter tactical style with a short stock and 16" barrel. i was thinking flat top for optics or removable carry handle too. been looking at a spikes lower and a rock river upper as these companies will make them MA compliant with the features i want. i dont mind doing all the assembly either if it will save me some money. any fellow kahrtalkers been down this road that can offer some input as i dont want to join another forum? Thanks

TD2K
02-15-2011, 11:47 AM
I have my lower built. Still trying to decide on what barrel I want so I can get the upper started.

The AR Forums have really really detailed assembly instructions with photos. It took about an hour (and it was my first one). Hubby talked me through it though. ;)

http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/5287/011pf.jpg

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/8241/20110101180820870.jpg

joshh
02-15-2011, 12:57 PM
nice work. i think its awesome that you are into shooting. sometimes i wish my wife was & other times its nice that she isnt (for my personal safety & sanity lol). i have worked on & built a bunch of other guns & ive watched the vids and read countless instruction so as far as assembly goes im not worried. i just figured i'd fish for some input on hardware & suppliers from the folks on this forum. other forums ive been on have been less than helpful. have you looked at the rock river arms uppers? they have a bunch of options and right now are offering free upgrades on the bolts and carriers if you buy a complete upper. ive read good things about them.

TD2K
02-15-2011, 01:01 PM
I have looked at Rock River. They seem nice. I need to go hold and fondle a few complete guns so I know what I like.

WMD
02-15-2011, 01:37 PM
JoshH,

A friend of mine recently built a MA compliant AR. He did use a Rock River Lower. Not sure whos upper. He got about $650 in it so far. Seems to shoot really well. He has the floating barrel forend and also has a heavy barrel. If you would like I can get the exact details from him and pass on to you. His is also a flat top.

Captain_Cupcake
02-15-2011, 01:40 PM
There is a company in Ludlow called Remsport they will build any AR you would like in any configuration. His labor costs are less than $100 and they come with a lifetime guarantee. I recommend his services highly.

joshh
02-15-2011, 07:48 PM
ive emailed back & forth w/ remsport & he was trying to find me a preban lower but its stupid $$$ so i am leaning away from preban. the only preban feature i really like is the tele stock but i can get over that as there are a ton of nice shorter stocks out there and i can pin a spikes. doesnt remsport just do the ssembly? i can do the labor. just gotta start picking out parts. know where i can get a discontinued johnny cupcakes shirt for the wife?

jackblack73
02-15-2011, 09:29 PM
I just ordered a blemished lower from Bravo Company. Seems like a great deal for a quality lower. And from what I've read, many can't even see the blemish.

johnh
02-16-2011, 06:50 AM
I use M&A internals on all my lower builds. So far none of required fitting, using a couple different receiver brands. I tend to use DSA lowers as I do some consulting work for them.

For the upper configuration, I tend to prefer as light as possible for most uses. I have a shoulder injury, and any weight savings adds to how long I can hold the rifle in ready position. If I want a more accuracy oriented barrel, I go for fluting to reduce weight. 1/7 or 1/8 twist. I tend to go for chrome lined barrels in guns I will shoot a lot, but non-lined for guns that I want the most accuracy out of. DSA and M&A have some really good prices on complete uppers, and mine have been flawless. Both do various ban compliant ones.

Captain_Cupcake
02-16-2011, 09:52 AM
I do not know where to get a discounted shirt haha. I believe John at Remsport does all of the ordering too (and they make some parts in house). The cool thing about his shop is he can piece an AR in front of you so you can see exactly how your final version will work without just referencing photos

TD2K
02-16-2011, 10:02 AM
my receiver is DSA, looking at their uppers