PDA

View Full Version : Low-tec aiming aid 4 fast, automatic, and accurate aiming

5shot
02-16-2011, 07:51 PM
at close quarters.

My latest video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLrJBYSYsok

The aiming aid is patented, but individuals are welcome to add one to their personal gun/s at their own risk and expense. I have the patent, so I can say that. US 6023874

Ditto for Police Agencies.

http://www.pointshooting.com/1ahowto.htm
A link to info on how to do that.

With the new flat sided mini's (S&W Bodyguard,Walther PPS, Beretta PX4, Sig P290), the device could be a big help in insuring fast, mechanical, and correct sight alignment, and fast and accurate target engagement even though the mini's are very short.

Of course, if there are sights on the gun, and if circumstances allow for their use, the sights should be used.

Also, if the light is bad, or the situation is a dynamic one, or if the sights are dark and the target is dressed in black and you are at close quarters, you still will have a viable SD option at your disposal.

Consider the aiming aid to be a Sight Shooting assistant, not a device to thwart it.

A couple of magazines and three or four targets at 15 feet +/-, can prove that to be the case.

.................................................. ..

Even the NRA, recognizes the need for shooting options in real-life violent encounters.

In Chapter 6 - of the NRA's guide to the basics of personal protection in the home that was published in 2000, we find that "...real-life violent encounters occur at very close range, often in reduced-light conditions, and are over in a matter of seconds. One study of Police shootings in a major urban area showed that the majority of encounters took place after dark, at 3 yards or less, in less than 3 seconds, and involved the firing of an average of three shots."

It goes on to say: "Often, either the assailant or the defender - or both - are moving rapidly during the encounter. Such conditions do not permit the careful alignment of the sights on a specific aiming point on the target."

Here's a pic of one attached to a Kahr pistol and one result of five shotsfour of which, can be covered with a dollar bill.

http://www.pointshooting.com/kahr1.jpg

http://www.pointshooting.com/kahrtarg.jpg

When I shoot, I usually shoot as fast as I can point-n-pull, point-n-pull.... It is the fastest way I can shoot effectively at CQ distances, and way faster than trying to use the sights.

eastenn
02-16-2011, 09:31 PM
not exactly aesthetically pleasing, but an interesting concept..I don't think I could get used to using my middle finger on the trigger

garyb
02-17-2011, 08:22 AM
5shot,
I tried this method for dry fire on my PM40, but without the tape on gadget. I believe as a point and shoot method, it is a faster and accurate means to get on the target. Obviously, it would mean "getting used to" changing trigger squeeze from index to middle finger. That is not at all out of the question....it is very possible to get used to this quickly. However, it would take a long time to get the brain reprogrammed for when a self defense situation came up. With the adrenalin pumping, I suspect that the brain would put whatever finger it was used to using, back on that trigger and the entire middle finger trigger technique could go out the window. I could be wrong about this, because once again, in battle, it would require reprogramming the brain to do it automatically and without thought.

Another BIG Problem is, holstering...especially for pocket carry.

On the PM40, I found that my index finger can be placed against the bottom portion of the slide stop pin, without the need for any device taped to my gun's frame. The slide stop pin does protrude enough to be felt by the index finger. However, I do not know how this will work with live fire on the range....especially with concern about safety for that finger.

Otherwise, your method seems to work well. Just seems to raise some questions/concerns. Thanks for sharing.

MW surveyor
02-18-2011, 03:00 PM
Doesn't work on a DA or SA revolver!

OldLincoln
02-18-2011, 04:18 PM
On one of my frequented forums, they would definately agree with the notice to avoid using it in a 1911 pistol. Their reasoning is that "If it needed such a device, John Browning would have designed it that way!" :)

I'm training for self defense for which that device is suggested. However, I doubt it would help much for weak hand training or lefties in general. It's one more thing to get in the way and being plastic corner molding held by tape, if it broke and you depended on it, it could work against you.

Really good thinking and may apply for others, but not for me.

JodyH
02-19-2011, 08:42 AM
and way faster than trying to use the sights.
Want to make a friendly wager?