PDA

View Full Version : Show your reloading station

xmanridesred
02-17-2011, 06:30 PM
my small reloading setup, I am no where near done with it yet.;)

Tilos
02-17-2011, 09:34 PM
This is the latest build and I went vertical this time.
For me, benches "collect" other stuff not related to reloading.
2 sheets of OSB from Home Depot and some scrap framing from new home jobsites.
I painted the inside white for my old eyes and added bifold closet doors to keep out my grandson's curious little fingers.
Tilos

Bawanna
02-17-2011, 09:38 PM
Mine is a perfect example of what tilos mentions, it collects everything. I'll try to take some pics tomorrow.

xmanridesred
02-17-2011, 11:26 PM
Yeah my bench collects alot of things not related to reloading. I did make it about 6 ft long tho so there is plenty of room for it. The future holds plans for casting equipment to fill up all the empty spaces on the bench.

Bawanna
02-18-2011, 07:37 PM
I just sent some pics of my setup to my technical advisor Old Lincoln. Please note that I made no effort whatsoever to straighten anything up or organize. It's just the way I left it last time I left it.
It's a perfect example of what Mr. Tilos describes as benches catching stuff.

Seeings as I'm vertically challenged among other things I sort of lose a little space in the high areas. When I reload everything is cleaned up the bench is clear and things are organized. It's usually that way but I've been really busy just moving from one deal to the next and not reorganizing in between.

I love the vertical setup as a stand alone reloading area where its contained and setup nicely.

Looking at the photos I feel a little Fred Sanfordish. Maybe tomorrow will be clean up day. 3 day weekend yeehaw.

OldLincoln
02-18-2011, 08:06 PM
Here they are:

http://i762.photobucket.com/albums/xx269/OldLincoln/Joes%20Pass%20Thru/DSCN1412.jpg

http://i762.photobucket.com/albums/xx269/OldLincoln/Joes%20Pass%20Thru/DSCN1411.jpg

http://i762.photobucket.com/albums/xx269/OldLincoln/Joes%20Pass%20Thru/DSCN1410.jpg

http://i762.photobucket.com/albums/xx269/OldLincoln/Joes%20Pass%20Thru/DSCN1409.jpg

OldLincoln
02-18-2011, 08:19 PM
Okay, guess I better show off my setup. Actually I am very proud to show it off as the setup really works well. I can set it up and stow it away in less than 5 minutes leaving a clean desk top. Bringing it out the same. Why, it's so compact I could actually use it in an Old Lincoln!

http://i762.photobucket.com/albums/xx269/OldLincoln/Reloading/P1010124.jpg

wyntrout
02-18-2011, 08:21 PM
Hey! I think it's neater than our dining room/(my computer room/hobby room/work room/whatever for 5 days a week). You wouldn't believe it. Maybe I'll take a picture, but that would be thread wander... <sigh>.:rolleyes:

Wynn:)

yqtszhj
02-18-2011, 09:44 PM
I've been thinking about reloading but I ask myself how many rounds would I have to load to recover the cost of the setup and then how much would the cost per round be then. For lets say 9mm and .45 ACP? And would I tell myself "man I don't have time to reload, I'll just stop by Walmart on the way home." Still pondering....

OldLincoln
02-18-2011, 10:03 PM
Snicker, why don't you just try reloading a few? You can always sell your gear later. Snicker...

The reality is you just might like doing it, and shot more, and become better at shooting, then hang out with this bunch and load some more, then get a progressive loader and build a wing on your house for reloading, and start buying bullets in the thousands and powder in barrels to "save money",then of course you have to use it or it will spoil so you buy brass by the truckload, then .... and then..... since you don't have time you show up at work in the same clothes as the day before with powder smudges and dark circles under the eyes, because the master has deemed that you have no option but to reload more and more.

OK, funs over...

It pays back fairly quickly if you buy inexpensive gear and shoot a fair amount. I wanted to get into it because even 45 target ammo was $25 per 50. That and CA was going to pass their stupid ammo law putting restrictions on buying on-line and how much you can buy etc, and ammo was hard to find.

Then my friend Bawanna knowing my circumstances gave me an old press he wasn't using and some of his extra extra equipment. So with that I punched a few primers and liked that, then the next step and the next. I have spent more than planned but it beats most other vices.

That's my nickel's worth.

Tilos
02-18-2011, 10:27 PM
yq:
I don't think you will save money reloading but will shoot more.
You could load either 9mm and 45ACP for about 10 cents per round using the walleyworld brass you have saved and $50 worth of equipment.

You won't be loading 200 rounds an hour but can make enough ammo for a day at the range.
For me, by loading in steps instead of a marathon all in one night, works better.

All I can say is, some of us are shooters who reload, others are reloaders who shoot, and a lot of us are both.
Try and find someone who will show you what's involved and try it with their stuff.

Tilos

yqtszhj
02-18-2011, 10:40 PM
yq:
I don't think you will save money reloading but will shoot more.
You could load either 9mm and 45ACP for about 10 cents per round using the walleyworld brass you have saved and $50 worth of equipment.

You won't be loading 200 rounds an hour but can make enough ammo for a day at the range.
For me, by loading in steps instead of a marathon all in one night, works better.

All I can say is, some of us are shooters who reload, others are reloaders who shoot, and a lot of us are both.
Try and find someone who will show you what's involved and try it with their stuff.

Tilos

Thanks. I think I'll try that. I shoot quite a bit. I have been buying bulk when I find it on sale cheap and can get free shipping on top to save a pretty good amount.

yqtszhj
02-18-2011, 10:44 PM
Snicker, why don't you just try reloading a few? You can always sell your gear later. Snicker...

The reality is you just might like doing it, and shot more, and become better at shooting, then hang out with this bunch and load some more, then get a progressive loader and build a wing on your house for reloading, and start buying bullets in the thousands and powder in barrels to "save money",then of course you have to use it or it will spoil so you buy brass by the truckload, then .... and then..... since you don't have time you show up at work in the same clothes as the day before with powder smudges and dark circles under the eyes, because the master has deemed that you have no option but to reload more and more.

OK, funs over...

It pays back fairly quickly if you buy inexpensive gear and shoot a fair amount. I wanted to get into it because even 45 target ammo was $25 per 50. That and CA was going to pass their stupid ammo law putting restrictions on buying on-line and how much you can buy etc, and ammo was hard to find.

Then my friend Bawanna knowing my circumstances gave me an old press he wasn't using and some of his extra extra equipment. So with that I punched a few primers and liked that, then the next step and the next. I have spent more than planned but it beats most other vices.

That's my nickel's worth.

Now that's funny too. Thanks for the info.

xmanridesred
02-18-2011, 11:47 PM
I started reloading as a means of making my ammo more accurate for my rifles, and at a lower cost. Now it has evolved into multi press madness, if I have a gun that shoots that caliber I reload for it. I would suggest starting out with a cheap single stage press and learn the basics, the process will be slow but will will get you started in reloading. I also would suggest you watch some video on youtube to get an idea of what best fits your needs. If you shoot in any volume reloading will eventually save you money no matter what. In my case I love reloading just as much as shooting.

Like Tilos said" some of us are shooters who reload, others are reloaders who shoot, and a lot of us are both."

Looking back on all the brass I wasted before I started reloading it makes me sick.

BuckeyeBlast
02-26-2011, 09:55 PM
Here's my little privacy corner:

http://i1037.photobucket.com/albums/a453/RightClickError/Reloading/PICT0116.jpg

Bawanna
02-27-2011, 12:41 AM
What do you got a housekeeper or what? Wheres the dust, empty pop cans, general trash?

You must have cleaned up for the photo op.

Way too clean.

xmanridesred
02-27-2011, 01:08 AM
I never thought about using the juice bottles to store brass that is a good idea. And caution: consuming alcohol while reloading is strongly discouraged, lol i couldnt help it. Very nice setup and great pic. keep em coming!

MW surveyor
02-27-2011, 04:11 AM
xman- I think if you look real close, there's a top on that bottle.

Bawanna - can you say "staged"

Looks good. I seem to never remember to take a picture of my bench until after everything is put away. My bench gets mulit-purpose use and some of the purposes are adverse to my reloading equipment. Just about the only place around my house that I clean up religiously.

BuckeyeBlast
02-27-2011, 05:40 AM
What do you got a housekeeper or what? Wheres the dust, empty pop cans, general trash?

You must have cleaned up for the photo op.

Way too clean.

I've got a 4yr old and a 5 week old son... clean up the powder, etc after every session. :)

I never thought about using the juice bottles to store brass that is a good idea. And caution: consuming alcohol while reloading is strongly discouraged, lol i couldnt help it. Very nice setup and great pic. keep em coming!

Yeah, with the 4 yr old there's never a shortage of juice bottles. I didn't even notice the beer bottle. The bottle's half full of water and primers. I pull the plug on my spent primer tube and empty them into the bottle and recap it. I know it's against the 'rules', but I have had a beer while decapping only. :cool:

xman- I think if you look real close, there's a top on that bottle.

Bawanna - can you say "staged"

Looks good. I seem to never remember to take a picture of my bench until after everything is put away. My bench gets mulit-purpose use and some of the purposes are adverse to my reloading equipment. Just about the only place around my house that I clean up religiously.

Good eye, sir.

The only 'staging' I did was remove a couple of shooting certificates from the wall that have my name in bold on them... never know who's out there, ya know. ;)

Bawanna
02-27-2011, 12:07 PM
Dang you guys got good eyes, I had to play wheres Waldo to find the bottle. Took me awhile too.

OldLincoln
02-27-2011, 01:50 PM
We shop at Costco and buy their nuts in the perfect sized containers for brass storage. They are large, holding up to 800 9mm (haven't counted the 45) and have large lids to get your hand in their to grab what you want, and are square sided so fit efficiently on a shelf. I just started marking them so it looks messy, but will go to printed check sheets and neater markings for quantity with 9mm on the right and 45 on the left.

http://i762.photobucket.com/albums/xx269/OldLincoln/Joes%20Pass%20Thru/P1010155.jpg

http://i762.photobucket.com/albums/xx269/OldLincoln/Joes%20Pass%20Thru/P1010156.jpg

Bawanna
02-27-2011, 02:05 PM
Very nice. You are indeed organized. I love the check off about whats been done to each batch. I use the plastic coffee cans and put a label on top and write on the side the caliber. Usually its just clean or dirty mixed.

I get all mixed up when we go shoot. I get all organized and then things get out of wack. I've tried keeping track of how many times a case has been fired but picking them up off the floor and keeping them separate for your once fired or twice fired gets near impossible.

I just inspect cases and toss the ones that look worn out. They last a long time.

MW surveyor
03-01-2011, 09:56 AM
Whoa! A graduated container. Good idea that I may put into use with my empty juice bottles. I normally use the Hillshire farms deli meat containers for the primed and separated cases. Got a whole lot of them.

I hereby solemnly promise that when I get back I will take a picture of my bench (with the reloading equipment set up).

OldLincoln
03-01-2011, 10:15 AM
Thanks for the kudos, but I was embarrassed after looking at my container hack job I posted, so I cleaned it up with printed labels. Looks much better. I like the containers and since nuts are an excellent source of protein, it works out well.

garyb
03-01-2011, 10:55 AM
Great idea on labeling graduated brass containers like that...not to mention that the concept is nourishing too.

Realistically, "typically" how many times can a pistol brass (40cal) be reloaded? Tx.
Rookie Me

Bawanna
03-01-2011, 11:02 AM
It varies of course and there is no black and white for sure answer but 10 times would not be out of the ordinary. Some of course will split or otherwise be unserviceable after the first or second time but most will go a long way.
One reason I don't over bell and try not to work the brass anymore than necessary.

garyb
03-01-2011, 03:53 PM
10 reloads would result in a pretty good savings on brass, understanding that is an estimate. Good incentive to save brass. I recently shot with my son-in-law in FL at a Shoot Straight and could not save my brass. It kind of ate at my craw to see all that brass go to waste. Actually, it probably went to some one elses reloader.
Appreciate the info. Tx.

OldLincoln
03-01-2011, 06:47 PM
Yep, reusing it saves big. Say you buy new Starline 45 brass for 14 cents (1,000 rd lots) divided by 10 reloads = 1.4 cents per reload. Starting with good brass like Starline may give you more than 10 reloads.

94zcar
03-03-2011, 11:08 AM
Good post, I like checking out everyones reloading area's.

I have been reloading on my Lee turret for about 3-4 month's and really enjoy it. I load 9mm, .380, .357 magnum and 9X18.

Got a great deal on my bench from Craig's list. It was $40 and is made of 1/8" steel. It's about 5 feet long must have come out of a machine shop or some kind of factory. there was about 6 layers of paint on it. I sanded most of it off and put on some fresh paint, it's nice and sturdy.

I keep my dies, powder, and reloads locked in the cabinet above the bench, we have small children.

On another subject I bought my 8 year old daughter a pink red ryder bb gun for her biirthday. She was not very happy at first. After about a week I got her to try shooting it, now she just loves it. One of her teachers at school was telling her guns are bad, which is funny because everyone I know has guns and hunts or shoots here in northern WI.

earle8888
03-03-2011, 11:22 AM
FYI personally I have 45ACP, (low pressure), brass loaded well over 100 times. I inspect and trim to length as needed, very seldom after first fire, debur everytime, its getting old. I have Weatherby 240, 300,378 brass that has been reloaded 40 or more times, neck sized only. I look very hard at 40 S&W brass do to pressure and MUST check overall length before decap, again after tumble and "M" died, so far 3 reloads and counting.

Recycooler
03-20-2011, 01:34 PM
No flaming about the free wall decor.
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll27/funkdrawer4/reloader.jpg

joshh
03-20-2011, 06:16 PM
No flaming about the free wall decor.
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll27/funkdrawer4/reloader.jpg

love the decor! got any extra? got my safe in my pellet stove room in cellar and turning it into my "gun room." think im gonna set up reloading bench in there too but i cant determine if its worth the $ to reload. i dont have a ton of extra time either. i shoot a god amount of 9mm and getting a spikes a/r so i imagine 5.56/.223 will be $ to buy

garyb
03-21-2011, 12:26 PM
I have a 16' work bench in my garage that is used for woodwork, taxidermy and varied projects. There is always some project on it that keeps it actively busy. It gets congested and also damp in the winter (snow and salt melting off the cars). There can be some corrosion on tools if I do not have them waxed well. Typical garage work area. During taxidermy season, I use alot of salt solutions which also contribute to the dampness and corrosion issues. I prefer to not clutter that bench any more, nor deal with the dampness and corrosion for my gun powder, dies and other reloading supplies, etc...

I have an alternate location in a spare bedroom that is warm and dry, but space is limited to a reloading bench that would only be 44W" X 18D ". There is storage available in an adjacent closet for supplies that I currently use for gun and bow "stuff". It is kind of a hunting room that serves as a guest room. I could integrate some shelves under and over the new reloading bench that I build to fit that space. In order to keep the decor, I would need to build it furniture grade to match the dressers in that spare bedroom. I do alot of woodwork, so building something fairly furniture grade and tasteful will be no big deal. I will only be reloading one caliber initially with my new Hornady LNL progressive, but can see expanding up to about 4-6 calibers.

Think that size reloading bench will be too small or should I consider setting it up on my garage workbench? Just looking for input/opinions from experienced reloaders. At least I have some options available to me. Thanks.

Bawanna
03-21-2011, 12:37 PM
Sounds like plenty adequate amount of room to me.

earle8888
03-21-2011, 06:10 PM
Agree w/the B!
I used to use one of those 'work mate' folding vise for the press and the folding table in my camping trailer, with the sink counter for the powder scale. That's crowded, BUT, beats doing without!

Bawanna
03-21-2011, 07:11 PM
It seems the more counter space you have the more crap gets stored all over it. The key for that LNL is solid. No movement. Make it a rock. With it, other than your scale, your reloading books, incoming brass and out going loads most everything else is hanging on the press.

MW surveyor
05-04-2011, 07:23 PM
Not the best photo with the iPhone.

Everything on the bench gets removed from time to time, including the white bench top. This is also my work bench so gotta keep it sort of neat. Where the powder measure is, is also where the single stage goes. The small items such as the scale, powder measure, bullets and a few other items get stored in the cabinet on the left hand side. The presses go under the bench if I have to remove them.

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l605/MWsurveyor/loadingbench.jpg

Making up test rounds for the new 45 today. 230 grain LRNs using Bullseye and HP 38. The Para's barrel is sitting there as my "test" gauge.
If all goes well, will shoot them on Friday with Bill (Willieboy).

garyb
05-20-2011, 09:08 AM
Attached are photos of my loading bench, built for a limited space I had available in a small bedroom. I had to cut an angle in the top because it is placed next to a closet door, so the door will open. I stained it to match existing furniture in the room. The wife approved with the final product because it is out of the way and matches. So far it is working out well. I believe you can click on the photos to enlarge them. I am reloading for 40S&W, but soon plan to reload for my wife's 380auto.

newkahrowner
05-27-2011, 04:37 PM
i plan to start reloading and i have one of those 300 lb metal desks you highschool shop teacher sat at so it will be sturdy and have plenty of drawers for storage. and being about 8 foot long plenty of room to cover it in random crap lol

MW surveyor
05-27-2011, 06:56 PM
Whoa! a 300 pound metal desk with drawers.....awesome.