PDA

View Full Version : CW9 barrel has a bullet lodged inside

yoyomeng
02-20-2011, 04:49 PM
Hello again, long time since I've posted here. I'm still loving my gun and haven't had any problems until yesterday.

I went to an outdoor range for the first time, temperature was 15 to 20 degrees. I put through 23 rounds of Red Dot 124 +P and proceeded to load up my mags with some WWB 115 gr practice rounds.

I let my buddy have a try with the 1st magazine while I used his gun - I think the 5th shot had the problem. Thankfully there was a FTL as the round couldn't get into the barrel far enough to be fired again. I don't know if that could have been very bad or not.

Anywho, I have a damn bullet stuck in the barrel and I tried to push it out with no luck. I actually smooshed the tip of the bullet a bit as it's relatively soft. I almost put it on a press but figured I should check with you all and probably just bring it to a gunsmith so I don't screw up the rifling.

Thoughts? I'm guessing it was a bad cartridge without enough powder or something.

jlottmc
02-20-2011, 04:54 PM
Sounds about right. I usually use a steel cleaning rod, a vice, and a mallet. I wouldn't worry about mangling the bullet, just drive it out. That rifling is tougher than you think as well. I have had to drill a couple out. Go slow and be careful, you should be ok.
Oh and that's called a squib load. They happen from time to time, and can be a real PITA, the hard part is to catch them before lighting of another round.

jocko
02-20-2011, 05:14 PM
Having never had a squib round to get out of the barrel. I would think it would be best to push it from the chamber area out towards the front of the barrel. Maybe alittle penetrating oil first and let sit a few minutes and then I would think a dowel rod and mallet with barrel in some sort of a vice hold and it should travel out the front of the barrel.. The back of the bullet should be flat where as the front is not made to be beat on.

IMO ur buddy was darn lucky he did not squeeze off another round. He did nothing wrong, just a bad round. Sometimes with shooting muffs on we don't hear those squibb rounds either. As jlottmc said, go slowly...

pappy42
02-20-2011, 05:45 PM
I'm thinking, that if the bullet is lodged in the barrel just a short distance from the chamber, it may be better to punch it out from the muzzle.

If it is a copper jacketed projectile; it's possible that a copper solvent might penetrate and provide lubrication to ease things a bit. It goes without saying to use a hardwood dowel, brass or nylon squib rod.

A sharp rap rather than tapping lowers the chance of peening the bullet tighter in the bore.

Good luck.

tconroy
02-20-2011, 06:35 PM
Damn, I hope this never happens to me!! I have never had that happen all all the years I have been shooting.

tconroy
02-20-2011, 06:38 PM
Jocko, 30,000 round and not one stuck in the barrel???? Are we just lucky or what!!:ohmy:

tconroy
02-20-2011, 06:40 PM
Hey I hit a 100 posts.woopeeee!!!!!!:D:D:D

joshh
02-20-2011, 06:41 PM
pushing things out the way they went in is typically the rule.

yoyomeng
02-20-2011, 06:56 PM
So would the gun have gone boom if he had been able to fire off another round?

jocko
02-20-2011, 07:09 PM
Jocko, 30,000 round and not one stuck in the barrel???? Are we just lucky or what!!:ohmy:

I don't know. I have been around alot of shooters over my 67 years and I can't remember one every mentioning a "squib". It is just so so rare. Some squibs are just powerful enough also to exist the barrel but still called a squib..

jocko
02-20-2011, 07:11 PM

definitely, and then all hell would have broke loose to, busted barrel, possably totaled frame, possably messed up hand. It is a violent act..:ohmy:

yoyomeng
02-20-2011, 07:12 PM
phew...thx for the info guys

Bawanna
02-20-2011, 07:13 PM

Very good chance it would have. The bullet apparently went far enough so you were able to remove the barrel but not much further.
I fed mine some too long reloads and it tied the whole gun up. Had to drive the bullet and case back into the gun to get the slide to retract. Not fun at an indoor range but I did it to a couple different guns.
Been reloading 30 years and never had that happen before. Another lifes lesson.
Let us know when you get that driven out. These guys got it, a little lube a good bore fitting hard wood dowel or rod and whack a mole till it pops out.

Jeremiah/Az
02-20-2011, 07:29 PM
Put a few drops of light weight oil in the muzzle & stand the barrel upright for a few minutes. Get a block of hardwood, oak works well, & drill a hole the size of the bullet, but smaller than the barrel. Stand the barrel muzzle down over the hole. With the wooden dowl in the breech end, drive the bullet out. A vise may damage the barrel.

jocko
02-20-2011, 07:35 PM
cool idea jeremiah. I was even going to say put the barrel between to peaces of plywood if one was going to vise it even, but your idea souds much neater to and not juury rigges like I would have done.

I will ask Bawanna to give you a bonus of 200 posts. He won't do it but just wanted u to know that I tried. He is now deducting my post count even..????

LouisianaJoe
02-20-2011, 08:35 PM
I had this happen a couple of years ago with a Jericho. It has polygonal rifling also. I used a nylon rod and put the rear of the barrel on a block of wood. Once you get the bullet in the rear of the barrel, there is more space there and it is easier to just hold it up and finish knocking the bullet out. I believe the cause there was lack of powder in the round.

joshh
02-20-2011, 09:42 PM
the block of wood as a base is a great idea but again, i'd try & push it out the way it went in.
ive seen a squibbed bullet removed from a blackpowder revolver with a wood dowel from the craft store, some pb blaster and a lot of taps from a hammer. couldnt use a block for a base tho and the revolver was old. it took 2 guys and a 6 pack but it came out w/out so much as a scratch to the pistol.

wyntrout
02-20-2011, 09:50 PM
Take the chamber into consideration and push it out the shortest distance. I would prefer to push towards the chamber, though. The back of the barrel can take more abuse than the barrel crown, if'n you don't whack the barrel with a hard object.

JMHO

Wynn:)

larryf1952
02-20-2011, 10:49 PM
Coming back out the chamber end would be the proper way to remove the squib. I've had only 1 squib in handloading since 1976, and that was with a 9mm 115 grain JHP bullet fired from a Colt MKIV Series 70 9mm Government. A few sharp taps on a dowel from the muzzle pushed the bullet back out of the chamber.

I knew immediately what had happened, as the gun didn't cycle, there was barely any recoil, and the sound was just a "pop" instead of a bang.

jocko
02-21-2011, 06:08 AM
never having done one, I am just supposing, but I would choose the path of lease resistance. If it is an inch down the barrel, then out the chamber it would come. If it was an inch or so from the end of the barrel, then out the end of the barrel it would come.

jlottmc
02-21-2011, 07:38 AM
Let me clarify, go through the muzzle end, pad the vise, and tap it out. If the bullet deforms around the rod worst that'll happen is you drive through the bullet. That actually makes it easier after you get the rod out. I've had a couple, and they came right out like that.

frank_drebin
02-21-2011, 08:26 AM
Guns do some amazing things with barrel obstructions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEOEu6k6sFE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWygoxV_ApM

jimbog
02-21-2011, 03:22 PM
hey guys new here,great site.my friend put one of his reloads in my kimber,of course it was a squib.i went to hardware store & got a wooden dowel and hit out to chamber,no damage.i ordered a pm45 still waiting.

wyntrout
02-21-2011, 03:39 PM
Welcome to the forum and great pick for a Kahr... unbelievably compact... tiny, but has a big bite!

Wynn:)

yoyomeng
02-21-2011, 09:30 PM
Thanks for the idea. It popped out after about 8 raps on the dowel!

Looking down the barrel it looks new, no scratches anywhere i can see. Should I take it to a gunsmith for a look see anyhow?

Bawanna
02-21-2011, 09:49 PM
I'd just run a tight patch real slow down the barrel. See if you feel any difference in pressure the length of the barrel. Since there was just one bullet and not a stacked situation your probably fine. You'd no doubt see a bulge even on the outside of the barrel if you shot a live round into the squib. Course the gun probably would have blown so the bulge wouldn't matter a whole lot to ya while getting your hand reattached to your arm.

jocko
02-21-2011, 11:58 PM
u did good, the barrel is OK, now just go out and shoot it like you stole it.

pappy42
02-22-2011, 07:40 AM
Thanks for the idea. It popped out after about 8 raps on the dowel!

Looking down the barrel it looks new, no scratches anywhere i can see. Should I take it to a gunsmith for a look see anyhow?

If you can't see a "ring" inside the barrel, with a corresponding "bulge" on the outside; I would say you have no damage. Those are the inspections that a gunsmith or armorer would perform and you can do that inspection yourself.

The proof is in shooting. If it runs well; shoot it and enjoy.

Squib
02-22-2011, 09:27 AM
You called?:rolleyes: The name not withstanding, I've always been told that you drive from the chamber to the muzzel. The copper solvent doesn't sound like a bad idea, however.

TheTman
02-22-2011, 09:47 AM
I had a squib lodged in the barrel and we just used a piece of dowel rod and knocked it out with hammer. I was very lucky. I didn't hear the primer go off and I thought I had a dud, but the cylinder on my S&W 629 .44mag wouldn't turn. I guess I had a cartridge with a primer and no powder, just enough to force the bullet between the cylinder and the forcing cone where it locked up the cylinder, thank god. I knocked the bullet back into the cylinder, than back out the front of the cylinder. I hate to think what would have happened had that bullet made it all the way into the barrel. And the cylinder rotated and I fired another round. KABOOM.
It's funny, that's about the time I lost interest in reloading. Had a Lee single stage press and loading was very slow going. Don't know how I missed putting the powder in the cartridge. Some distraction probably.

pappy42
02-22-2011, 09:49 AM
You called?:rolleyes: The name not withstanding, I've always been told that you drive from the chamber to the muzzel. The copper solvent doesn't sound like a bad idea, however.

Driving a squib load from the muzzle probably started from revolver shooters.

In my early days on LE ranges; revolvers were the norm as were reloaded cartridges. Squib losds were common and every instructor bag contained a "range rod" and mallet for knocking out the squib.

I personally would still drive a squib load from the muzzle of a pistol barrel because the pistol barrel is much more heavily constructed at the chamber end; thus more safely supported on a block of wood. Just my 2 cents

gman
02-22-2011, 08:57 PM
Hate to admit, but I've squibed a round AND followed up with another round. Bulged the barrel 1/2 inch from the muzzle, and it pushed the squibed round clear. It was on a 1911 so dissasembly was difficult since the barrel bulge wouldn't pass thru the bushing. Had to hand emery the bulge so could disassemble.

I was shooting an IDPA match going fast. LESSON of the story.
When the gun goes fizz, STOP. Check for a squib (bullet in the bore). A primer has just enough pop to push the bullet past the chamber.

OH yea, don't let your grand kids distract you when your loading.

yoyomeng
02-25-2011, 12:26 PM
The funny thing is that this squib had a normal sound and feel, it just didn't chamber the next round fully. I think i figured out what happened. There is a damn hole in the bullet core, that's not normal right? I had a guy pull apart one of his WWB 115gr rounds and it doesn't look like this.

MW surveyor
02-25-2011, 03:44 PM
That is definitely not normal.

jlottmc
02-26-2011, 07:53 AM
That would be the first time I have ever seen that, where I didn't cause it. Not normal.

yoyomeng
02-26-2011, 08:58 AM
Considering that should I write a letter to Winchester or just take it as a lesson and move on?

jlottmc
02-26-2011, 10:06 AM
That is your call to make. I can't see any reason for that to have happened, but ammo companies make mistakes too. With the levels of demand as high as they are right now, it's a wonder we don't see more rejects fall through the cracks. I just don't see how that could have happened.

MW surveyor
02-26-2011, 10:54 AM
Go ahead and write them if you feel like it and don't forget to send a picture. Can't hurt and may just help someone else down the line. I've been seeing a number of rounds of 9 mm from various ammo makers that have defects of some kind or another (case or bullet). (ROs will normally keep them to the side after a shooter discovers them and they show them to me for some reason?)

cgo99
02-26-2011, 04:02 PM
never having done one, I am just supposing, but I would choose the path of lease resistance. If it is an inch down the barrel, then out the chamber it would come. If it was an inch or so from the end of the barrel, then out the end of the barrel it would come.
Makes perfect sense to me, but then again that's not saying much.

Bawanna
02-26-2011, 05:36 PM
The funny thing is that this squib had a normal sound and feel, it just didn't chamber the next round fully. I think i figured out what happened. There is a damn hole in the bullet core, that's not normal right? I had a guy pull apart one of his WWB 115gr rounds and it doesn't look like this.

Unless that hole goes all the way thru the bullet I dont see how it could have any negative effect myself. Perhaps I'm missing something here. The picture isn't real clear to me.
If the hole was all the way though it would probably still shoot, just lose some velocity.

yoyomeng
02-26-2011, 06:10 PM
It doesn't go all the way thru, but it still seem strange that this round that looks different than others had the problem. Don't know what else it could have caused it.

jocko
02-26-2011, 06:17 PM
I kinda have to think like the "great one" is thinking, unless that hole goes all the way through, I can't see what your photo showed as it causing the squib, unless it was a combination of bullet and maybe just a primer firing and no powder at all. A primer will send a round down the barrel with out powder.. Hell who knows the entire box could have had bullets looking like that but with a good primer and powder behind the bullet, it will exit the barrel with ease, IMO. anyway u are safe, the gun is good to go and there was nothing you could have done about what happened, The smart thing was that you didn't follow it up with a live round..

cgo99
02-26-2011, 07:11 PM
Maybe the hole made the bullet expand more than it should have due to internal pressure just like a balloon.
Just a guess since i don't really know enough about ballistics or anything else for that matter.