PDA

View Full Version : New Kahr user question

hdtaxman
02-21-2011, 11:24 AM
Hope this finds everyone well today...

New owner of an MK9..actually, not me but my wife. I soend more time with a flyrod in hand and on a Harley so guns are not my area of knowledge, but she wants to learn. Her dad grew up owning guns, she looked at them but never really used them. Made the mistake of taking her to a gun show this weekend.:D She started looking, picked up an MK9 and it felt just right in her hand..so we purchased it for her..going to go to an indoor range this coming Thursday, but a question first as to initial prep for use:

I see it is recommended that the gun be cleaned prior to initial use..this one has been fired before and was cleaned before being put in the show so it is in working order. As to cleaning the MK9 though, any recommendations on the basics..type of cleaner, cloth, bore bristle, etc.? Or is a good quality cleaning kit from a gun shop enough at this point? Just want to protect the investment we made..

I am actually looking forward to it as well..an 86 year old woman who is a close friend left me a Colt 1903 Hammerless .32ACP (1924 production model) so will compare the old to the new and see what is preferred..For me, might be the Colt since I have large hands but I'll give both a try..the MK( does have a nice feel though...

Thanks for any comments..

jocko
02-21-2011, 12:11 PM
have u looked at the kahr tech section and found the #1 kahr lube chart. it is super

#2 propper prepping or your new kahr.

a pistol cleaning kit from most gun stoes willkeep you going. Nice gun. If you have no manual. make sure the recoil spring is with the open end towards the front of the slie. Have her use the slide stop lever to load that first round. Hand racking can be a chore with kahrs, expecially for a women. She can pracitce that with snap caps at home . Have her practice close 7 yards and under. Kahr triggers are looooong but so smooth and it will take time for her to adjust to them. They are what they are a close up defense gun that will save her life if needed and really a fun gun to shoot the MK9 is heavy enough to shoot comforatble. Buy some wwb 100 pak fmj ammo from wal mart ofr range fodder,try to keep with american ammo.

do read the kahr tech section.. Never assme it has been cleaned and lubed, check it all out yourself.
\
welcome aboard and being a harley rider, again welcome aboard. Mywife rides a 2011 street glide and she rides it like she stole it it. Mne is a 2010 Screamin eagle CVO streetglide. Been riding for over 50 years...

hdtaxman
02-21-2011, 01:02 PM
Thanks much for the reply..I will definitely check out the tech section and follow advice accordingly. Kahr's website has the manual online and downloaded and reading through it tonight..a good point to about assuming on the gun being cleaned. Kahr has a good video about breaking down the gun so I can follow that accordingly before cleaning with a good quality kit..

My wife used to ride too..had a 2000 Springer softail..fully chromed, beautiful bike..but just enjoys riding 2 up more so..I've been going on about 47 years of riding myself now and just got a 2010 Electra Glide Calssic..heck of a lot of changes in the 12 years since last bike, but still love 2 wheels anyday of the year!

Thanks again for thecomments and really look forward to getting on the range with the MK9..

jocko
02-21-2011, 01:29 PM
Yup bougvht my wife the first heritage springer sofetail in 97 . the all white version with the red awoze aroundthe tank and black big bags with red skirting around it. Super bike, . I loved that bike to, . Its style was just in its own class, A shame they don't make the fl springers now, but I guess salses just declined to much to keep it in the line.

FX springers just don't do anything for me like the fl heritage springer..

WMD
02-21-2011, 02:00 PM
Jocko's points are good to follow. I wanted to comment on the Colt 1903. I have one and had it in my hand just the other day. Very nice gun. Probably not as safe to carry as the MK9 however. This is assuming you (or your wife) will carry with a chambered round. Quite frankly, that is the only way to carry.

In any case, you will see a mild recoil from the .32. The MK9 may have a bit more recoil but should not be excessive for the wife. The safety lever on the Colt just never impressed me as something that would stay on safe while being carried. Perhaps others will have additional info on the Colt. Very nice gun however and a bit of a collectors item.

Good luck with the MK9 and welcome to the Forum! Keep us posted on you and the wife make out with the MK.

hdtaxman
02-21-2011, 02:07 PM
Thanks for the words on the Colt..look forward to trying it out as well..it needs a good cleaning, so I will do that this week before I try it out..

Bawanna
02-21-2011, 02:10 PM
Jocko's points are good to follow. I wanted to comment on the Colt 1903. I have one and had it in my hand just the other day. Very nice gun. Probably not as safe to carry as the MK9 however. This is assuming you (or your wife) will carry with a chambered round. Quite frankly, that is the only way to carry.

In any case, you will see a mild recoil from the .32. The MK9 may have a bit more recoil but should not be excessive for the wife. The safety lever on the Colt just never impressed me as something that would stay on safe while being carried. Perhaps others will have additional info on the Colt. Very nice gun however and a bit of a collectors item.

Good luck with the MK9 and welcome to the Forum! Keep us posted on you and the wife make out with the MK.

I agree especially the collector part. It should be shot affectionately if shot at all. I would not consider carrying it as a CCW. Keep it in a place of honor, fondle carefully and give it the love an historical piece such as it deserves.
If you don't have enough love to bestow upon it, send it to me. I have buckets full of love and respect, just waiting for a proper recipient.

I'd love to see a picture of yours if you find the time.

hdtaxman
02-21-2011, 03:17 PM
I so appreciate the congenial offer but I think I will keep sleeping with her :D..The gun is well used and definitely shows it but be glad to post a photo later on..They are beautiful guns no matter what the condition....
No intentions to carry but definitely an itch to try it out...as well as the MK9

Thanks for the comments..