PDA

View Full Version : Does Anyone Use a Powder Baffle?

500KV
02-26-2011, 11:13 AM
So I found It sometimes hard to obtain consistent charges with certain types of powder and I had read about these simple devices on other forums and thought I'd try one.

I added the baffle to my RCBS Uniflow and it really seems to work well.
I had problems with consistent charges using certain powders, Unique for one, which I like for several handgun loads.
Using Unique with the baffle, I'm now able to stay right on the money or within .1 gr which I hadn't been able to do before.

They can be ordered for a few dollars but I made mine out of a piece of aluminum scrap. Some guys said they used a beer can.
In fact, I believe they are included with some powder measures.

While some powders meter very accurately, like Universal, HP-38, Bullseye,etc, which I also use for several handgun loads, some give inconsistent charges and the baffle really helps with these. In fact I use it with all my powders now.

Thought I'd include the templates for those who might want to try one and go the cheap route like I did. :)

http://www.gabma.us/britbike/Powder%20Baffle%20Instructions%20and%20Templates.p df

Bawanna
02-26-2011, 11:22 AM
My uniflow and my Hornady all came with the baffle inside. Guess it's good to know that it actually does something good.

I don't know what it would be like without the baffle.

slowpoke
02-26-2011, 11:48 AM
I found that a baffle helps IMR 4350 also.

ruf45
02-26-2011, 02:17 PM
My dillion came with a baffle,works great

500KV
02-26-2011, 02:57 PM
I'm still living in the past I guess. Didn't realize that practically all the newer powder measures had the baffles included.
All my reloading components are 1950-1960 vintage but still going strong.
Heck, I still have some primers with a $13.00 sticker on the box and I'm still using Elmer Keith's loading data.
Now I'm giving myself away I suppose.

Well, maybe someone has an old measure that could use the info.
I need to go check out the new equipment I guess but the learning curve might be too steep. :D

Bawanna
02-26-2011, 03:06 PM
Elmer Keith is my hero, even drove thru Salmon Idaho once to see if I could see his ghost.

Funny how everything reloading is the same as it was 40 years ago only completely different.

garyb
02-26-2011, 03:35 PM
My uniflow and my Hornady all came with the baffle inside.

Does the Hornady LNL come with a powder baffle?

Bawanna
02-26-2011, 03:41 PM
Does the Hornady LNL come with a powder baffle?

Yes.

OldLincoln
02-26-2011, 06:38 PM
Does the baffle sit on the bottom of the powder tube? If not how far above it?

I was pretty sure when starting I read to keep the tube 2/3rds or better full to keep the powder consistent. The baffles should to do the opposite. Powder will flow around them but baffles will support the column of powder to keep the pressure off the feeding hole.

So, how do I know if I need them?

Bawanna
02-26-2011, 07:16 PM
Does the baffle sit on the bottom of the powder tube? If not how far above it?

I was pretty sure when starting I read to keep the tube 2/3rds or better full to keep the powder consistent. The baffles should to do the opposite. Powder will flow around them but baffles will support the column of powder to keep the pressure off the feeding hole.

So, how do I know if I need them?

If your useing the powder measure I sent you I think you have one. Thats a uniflow. I'm pretty sure it had a baffle, it's right at the bottom. I've never tried to take one out before.

OldLincoln
02-26-2011, 10:19 PM
That's the one I'm using (only one I have), but no baffle and the instruction parts list doesn't show one. Seems to work okay.

Sorry for the big green pic. I think it's too cool not to show.

http://i762.photobucket.com/albums/xx269/OldLincoln/Joes%20Pass%20Thru/P1010146.jpg

http://i762.photobucket.com/albums/xx269/OldLincoln/Joes%20Pass%20Thru/P1010148.jpg

500KV
02-27-2011, 06:52 AM
That's the one I'm using (only one I have), but no baffle and the instruction parts list doesn't show one. Seems to work okay.

Sorry for the big green pic. I think it's too cool not to show.

Yours is a newer model O.L. but apparently doesn't have the baffle.
Mine is identical but probably much older,-1960's model.
The link I posted shows the orentation of the baffle in the powder hopper.
It simply keeps the powder volume/weight consistant in the drop tube allowing more accurate charges.

It is important to keep the powder level above the baffle.
Now get busy and find you a beer can. :D

OldLincoln
02-27-2011, 01:29 PM
OK, now I'm baffled! Started out with a recently emptied pie tin, but it was razor sharp thin (.005) and don't want blood in my powder, so I switched to a Marie Calendar pie tin awaiting redemption. It cost my 80 cent redemption but is exactly .01 as suggested and not nearly as sharp.

Bawanna
02-27-2011, 01:47 PM
Well spank me and call me daddy. I just looked at my uniflow, exactly like the one I sent you and it isnt baffled either. Guess I never noticed. Guess I can add making a baffle to my list of to do stuff.
I don't use it very often so it will probably be low on the list but shouldn't be a long project either.

OldLincoln
02-27-2011, 01:54 PM
I'll leave the spanking to Dietrich and would feel silly calling you daddy, so you're stuck with Bawanna. Be careful cutting that puppy cause it can bite!