PDA

View Full Version : Hello fellow Kahr Nuts!

JCP281
02-26-2011, 12:15 PM
Hey guys/girls. I just purchased a CW9 after owning a G22, then buying a CW9, trading it for an LCP, selling the LCP trading the glock for a S&W990L....then selling the 990L and buying a brand new CW9.

Mouth full huh?

I just figured out that Kahrs are the better fit for me. I love the triggers, the thinness and the looks. BUT...

I HATE the cheesy plastic extended floor plate on the mags. Is there anyway to get the PM9 floor plate to fit, or am I going to have to hack the bottom into a Covert? Also, can I get a machined slide release for the CW or are the dimensions just a tad off?

Im looking in to getting a CM9 when it comes out.. so it wouldnt be a big deal to make a covert CW9.

jlottmc
02-26-2011, 01:28 PM
Lets go down the list here: First, welcome to the asylum, the inmates ain't bad people, but they do run the show. Second, yes you can get the bottom, there was a thread about that I saw today, it works, and all you should need is to order the base plate for the magazines. Third, the parts there are interchangeable, between the CW and P series, keep in mind that those MIM parts aren't a problem, and actually seem to be doing better than the machined parts right now. As for the covert CW9, that's on you, it has been done before, but ok. That should just about do here. Mine the archives for more information, you'll see what I'm talking about.

JCP281
02-26-2011, 01:34 PM
Ah ok, I havnt seen a thread through searching for the base plate swap, iv just seen cw45 mag mods from other pistols. If I can do the baseplate swap then thats fantastic, no need to do the covert. Thanks for the info.

I was just curious about the machined parts because I wanted to mill down the sharp edges on the slide lever. Incase I dont like the way it turns out, ill just order a machined piece.

jlottmc
02-26-2011, 02:24 PM
Roger that; the sharp edges can be taken off with a Dremel, use stones or sandpaper. I know that thread wasn't titled anything about flush fits, but I don't see it now. It's there, I promise.

JCP281
02-26-2011, 02:28 PM
I actually used some search logic and caught a K9 owner doing the swap. there is a little gap(which I knew about) but your not getting the flaring plastic look. Looks better IMO.

jlottmc
02-26-2011, 04:55 PM
Cool. Glad you found it, I knew I wasn't seeing things this morning. Then again, I've been gone for two days and had 457 new posts to read.

jocko
02-26-2011, 05:14 PM
Hey guys/girls. I just purchased a CW9 after owning a G22, then buying a CW9, trading it for an LCP, selling the LCP trading the glock for a S&W990L....then selling the 990L and buying a brand new CW9.

Mouth full huh?

I just figured out that Kahrs are the better fit for me. I love the triggers, the thinness and the looks. BUT...

I HATE the cheesy plastic extended floor plate on the mags. Is there anyway to get the PM9 floor plate to fit, or am I going to have to hack the bottom into a Covert? Also, can I get a machined slide release for the CW or are the dimensions just a tad off?

Im looking in to getting a CM9 when it comes out.. so it wouldnt be a big deal to make a covert CW9.

cm9 is gonna have that same crummy, never fails MIM slide lock lever on it.. IMO ur worrying way to much about this MIM part on the kahr. I have yet to see one break , have seem forged ones go bad for some reason and I am sure one or two MIM have broken to, outta probalby 250K of cw kahrs out there. Just shoot it like u stole it and if a part goes bad then cross that next bridge but certainly IMO don't replace a good part with a part that YOU think is better. MIM parts are all over the airline industry .

JCP281
02-26-2011, 05:17 PM
LOL im not "worrying" about it at all, i was just making sure they fit incase I mess the current one up doing something stupid to it durring the rounding process. If im going to need to replace it, id rather have a machined piece. I couldnt really care less if its MIM or not, it will just look a little better.

rkirk
02-26-2011, 06:25 PM
Welcome you are going to love the CW9!

-- Richard

deuce
02-26-2011, 06:26 PM
Check on the Kahr website. They are offering steel mag baseplates to switch out from the polimer plates on 9's and .40's. Not sure if it will fit the CW but if it does it's only $15.

JCP281
02-27-2011, 12:53 AM
Check on the Kahr website. They are offering steel mag baseplates to switch out from the polimer plates on 9's and .40's. Not sure if it will fit the CW but if it does it's only $15.

can you show me the link? cant seem to find it. Im browsing in the kahr shop section

JCP281
02-27-2011, 08:06 PM
Just wanted to post this so its searchable. This is the baseplate kit

Just ordered min. If mags were not so expensive I would have ordered 2.. but ill wait to go to a gunshow to buy another mag first lol. Got it for 23 bucks shipped.

http://www.kahr.com/Magazines/Kahr-Steel-Magazine-Base-Kit-9-mm-and-40-SandW.asp

BeyondTaboo
03-02-2011, 06:26 PM
Just got my P9 slide release the other day and switched them out. It fits perfectly if you want to make the switch. I've been working with and arount metals for many years and it's just a personal preference to have solid stock milled pieces for me. The little bevel on the end of the P9 slide release looks awesome. MIM should be fine but injected parts can have issues. I am very, very new to this forum and to Kahrs in general but I would agree with Jocko on the don fix it if it ain't broke principal. Based soley on looks the $25 is way worth it though. I'll put up a pic in the next day or so.