PDA

View Full Version : Recoil/Flip

garyb
03-01-2011, 10:00 AM
I've always wondered why some shooters are more sensitive to recoil and muzzle flip than other shooters. Big guys complain, while I know of several average men and their petite wives who shoot the 40S&W well. For them, recoil is never an issue. Others have a real problem with recoil/flip. Brian Enos (speed shooter) helped me to answer many of these questions in his book "Practical Shooting". I now see that it is truly a matter of the WAY we shoot, which can make recoil your friend or enemy and cause us to be insensitive or sensitive to recoil/flip. Enos book will help you understand.

Many deal with recoil control by caliber because they are fighting recoil, by tensing of antagonistic muscles in an attempt to stop the muzzle rise and by bringing the gun off center to the strong side, etc.... Enos explains that you can not fight recoil and shows how we can cause the muzzle to track inconsistently during recoil. In his words, "If the recoil you experience is consistent it really does not matter how high the muzzle actually lifts.... The Consistency of recoil is more important than the amount of recoil." Enos provides the WAY to "learn by feel" to control recoil, so you are able to use the recoil effectively by relaxation, neutrality, alignment, sight tracking, control, timing, etc... so the gun returns like it's spring loaded (like it's does when shooting off sand bags) for that quick follow-up second shot and for speed shooting.

His book is a real lesson that helped ME to understand WHY some shooters are more recoil sensitive and the PATH to use recoil to shoot faster follow up shots. Anyone wanting to effectively deal with recoil and muzzle flip will be well served to read this book and practice his advice.

I know, I know...about the critics out there. But, as Enos also says, "...everything that you do is dependent on your own attitude.... and you're responsible for every single function you have when you're shooting....every single problem you'll have to deal with and you can solve..."

I highly recommend his book. Rob Leatham (6 time National Champion) says "There is only one person in the world who I would allow to talk to my students and that is Brian....listen to him." Check it out.

Kingcreek
03-02-2011, 02:05 PM
You're right, recoil is somewhat subjective within the usual laws of physics. I've never been bothered by recoil (fortunately).
Brian Enos is great. Years ago I had the opportunity to shoot with Rob Leatham and I knew Brian and some of the others. I saw those guys make 1911s look like full-auto bullet hoses.