PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding the finish on an all black P9

DBP9
03-03-2011, 07:22 AM
Good morning folks! I have been thinking about sanding down the sharp edges and corners on my P9 slide stop, but I am afraid that I'll be removing the finish on the areas I work on. Since I am in South Florida where it is very humid in the summer, I need all the help I can get keeping my gun rust free. Does anybody know what the finishing process is for Kahrs? Is it merely a surface coating like Gun Blue, or something more durable and below the surface? I guess since they are only $25 I could keep a few spares on hand, or send it off for refinishing after I have worked on it. I imagine the latter would be more expensive than it is worth.

CJB
03-16-2011, 03:06 PM
The slide stop is stainless. You can file/sand/polish it to hearts content. Yes, you'll remove finish. If you want, it can be blasted to be "evenly stainless" colored. It can be refinished with - good old K-Kote (KG Kote now days). That finish is pretty tough, nice black finish.

PM me, being a fellow south Floridian!

jocko
03-16-2011, 03:49 PM
DBP9: if you will look up jocko's custom PM9, u will see my slide stop that I dremel contoured myself. It is all stainless, U can after that either olish it otoa stainless shine or take some borchwood gun blue and it will blue up perfecty. If u look at the right side slide stop pin that comes through the fame on my custom PM9. I contoured it to be flush with the frame. ( hated that it stuck out so much) and then I just birchwood blued that end tip and it blends right in like a frame or trigger pin, but yet I left the slide stop lever stainless finished. It is an all stainless peace, no surface coating.

CONTOUR AWAY.

CJB
03-16-2011, 08:04 PM
Amazed BC "blue" works on it, as it wont touch most stainless steels. Learnt somethin'!

OldLincoln
03-16-2011, 08:37 PM
I had the same issue when my Black PM9 was new and kept checking to see how much skin I had left after racking. It seemed at the time the razor edges reached out to grab me, but now it is much less sharp. There's still a pretty sharp edge but it feels like the edges have buffed themselves over time.

I haven't done it, but if you like the black finish and would stone the black off anyway, you might try buffing the edges to see if the DLC itself forms the sharpness and a light buffing could help. That is the only way I can figure the bite getting easier over time. Mine is still black.

Something I just now did for the heck of it... I felt the edges for sharpness and a couple were still sharper than I like. I rubbed my thumbnail on the edge like trying to cut it and felt rough spots which came smooth after a couple swipes and took away the remaining sharpness. Try it first then decide.

DBP9
03-17-2011, 01:38 PM
I ended up grinding down the edges, and then used some cheapo matte black spray paint from Home Depot but it came out looking like crap (I am sure it was user error when I applied the paint...Too close or far away and moving too fast or slow). Since I'm a perfectionist, I had to redo it. So I could keep my gun fully functional as my EDC I ordered a spare Slide Stop from Kahr, smoothed out the edges, and then sent it off to have it refinished w/a matte black Cerakote. I'll post some pics when I get it back next week.

CJB
03-18-2011, 01:19 PM
PM sent to ya a bit ago.

FWIW, I've got coating here, would have gladly applied it (and let you go home and bake it for an hour - woo-ooo that smell!)

DBP9
03-23-2011, 06:58 AM
Hey CJB. Never got your PM. Did you get mine a few days ago?