PDA

View Full Version : Changing the sights

JohnR
03-04-2011, 10:01 AM
I don't particularly like the 2-dot sights my used K9 came with. If I decide to replace them, I figure I might as well get night sites.

How hard is it to change them out? What tools do I need?

Bawanna
03-04-2011, 10:06 AM
I don't particularly like the 2-dot sights my used K9 came with. If I decide to replace them, I figure I might as well get night sites.

How hard is it to change them out? What tools do I need?

A hammer and a brass and steel punch, a good vise is a big help. Those sights can be a real bugger to get off sometimes since they are so tight. Sometimes a sight pusher helps to crack em loose a little bit but you'll still need the hammer and punch.
Sometimes its less risky just to send the slide off and have them installed. They got all the good stuff and won't beat anything up that shouldn't be.
Not to say you can't do it, you certainly can but it can be tough.
I did one K9 that was easy and another that I didn't think I'd ever get em off.
You can fit the new replacements so not near so difficult.

ripley16
03-04-2011, 10:24 AM
What Bawanna said is 100% accurate. I changed a set with a punch and hammer only, but it was difficult to both remove and install. A sight pusher may help, but paying to have them installed is money well spent IMHO. For the record, as careful as I was, I did put a mar on the slide. Gunsmiths around me won't work on Kahr sights because they are so difficult.

pappy42
03-04-2011, 11:02 AM
The sights on my PM45 are the type with the dovetails cut in the slide. I changed them myself; but it was tough.

JohnR
03-04-2011, 01:44 PM
Sounds like I'd be best off sending the slide to Kahr?

JohnR
03-04-2011, 02:37 PM
About $170 with all shipping and labor, wow. But probably worth it for a professional job.

Internet Blohard
03-04-2011, 07:34 PM
I don't especially like the punch and hammer method...a bit risky for my tastes.

I use this:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=163458

Every now and then Midway has these on sale for about $100. I don't think it will work great work on all pistols, but they did fine for NS on my MK 9. Read the customer reviews on the midway site.

With a sight pusher, you can sneak up on adjustments very gradually. Small steps, small mistakes.

Once you own a good tool, it will pay for itself again and again.

JohnR
03-06-2011, 02:18 PM
What if I just ordered a new slide from Kahr with the sights already installed? Do they sell them that way, with night sights? Might save the postage to MA and the labor of removing the old sights (not to mention the gun's down-time), but I imagine the cost of a new slide offsets that and then some.

jocko
03-06-2011, 02:40 PM
I don't especially like the punch and hammer method...a bit risky for my tastes.

I use this:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=163458

Every now and then Midway has these on sale for about $100. I don't think it will work great work on all pistols, but they did fine for NS on my MK 9. Read the customer reviews on the midway site.

With a sight pusher, you can sneak up on adjustments very gradually. Small steps, small mistakes.

Once you own a good tool, it will pay for itself again and again.

for about 3 years, after hammerng te episs out of my K9 sights to TTY to get them off with no luck , I broke down and bought the pusher. Best investment I ever made. It is a quality tool.

jocko
03-06-2011, 02:45 PM
What if I just ordered a new slide from Kahr with the sights already installed? Do they sell them that way, with night sights? Might save the postage to MA and the labor of removing the old sights (not to mention the gun's down-time), but I imagine the cost of a new slide offsets that and then some.

u need a slide, don't do it, slides have tro be broken in like a new gun, sometimes they don't mate up good either. kAHR wants the entire gun back for that to, so they can "fit" it, so they say. No they don't come with sights on them to my knowledge, ... certainly not night sights for sure..

The down time on getting sights on your kahr would not be as long as buying a new slide IMO. Kahr is fast with service, My bet if u wanted sights changed on your slide, that you would have it backin less then `10 days and u can just send the slide in for aobut $5 also. they don' tneed the entire gun.. If your slide is working great in your gun, then, don't rock the boat, stick with it....You won't wearthat slide out in ur lifetime...

Bawanna
03-06-2011, 02:53 PM
A sight pusher is a great tool for adjusting and fine tuning sights. It is not designed or intended to install sights. They are great once the sight is started and nearly in place. Sometimes they are good for cracking them lose to take off the old but some have been ruined when the sights were too tight.

I spent many hours with a gunsmith who specialized in sights hence his name the sight man. Never once did I see him use a sight pusher.

wyntrout
03-06-2011, 03:00 PM
I took off my Springfield's sights using a cheap plastic rod from a two-tier lazy-Susan spice rack thingie. I don't have anything else and I'm glad what I had worked, but that wasn't a Kahr. I think you need to make sure you're pushing the sights in the right direction. One side is narrower than the other... left to right for Off? and right to left for On?? I measured but don't remember for sure. The wrong direction could be a real b!tch!!

Wynn:)

JohnR
03-09-2011, 09:40 AM
u need a slide, don't do it, slides have tro be broken in like a new gun, sometimes they don't mate up good either. kAHR wants the entire gun back for that to, so they can "fit" it, so they say. No they don't come with sights on them to my knowledge, ... certainly not night sights for sure..

The down time on getting sights on your kahr would not be as long as buying a new slide IMO. Kahr is fast with service, My bet if u wanted sights changed on your slide, that you would have it backin less then `10 days and u can just send the slide in for aobut $5 also. they don' tneed the entire gun.. If your slide is working great in your gun, then, don't rock the boat, stick with it....You won't wearthat slide out in ur lifetime...
Sound advice as always, Jocko. I have a BUG I can live with for ten days. So the question is, is it worth the money to change sights? I'm sure I'll get used to these sights over time.

Bawanna
03-09-2011, 10:10 AM
Sound advice as always, Jocko. I have a BUG I can live with for ten days. So the question is, is it worth the money to change sights? I'm sure I'll get used to these sights over time.

Only you can answer that question. Its all a matter if you want different sights enough. I spent over 350 putting some adjustable XS sights on my double stack Para, had the guy do the melt down so he had to machine the rear of the slide. I love them immensely but I still think from time to time, I spent an awful lot of money for sights.

I personally think that night sights for the most part are highly overrated. They are very nice, and helpful in the dark but most of us could get along just fine without them. Still people want them.

I do have to have sights that I can see which is sometimes challenging. I get along real well with the Kahr factory sights. I like the XS big and standard dots as I can see them good, some out there just don't work for me.

Do your homework and do what works best for you.

jocko
03-09-2011, 10:52 AM
have to agree with the GREAT ONE. night sights are over rated, but they are nice. I do think the xs sights though serve a dual purpose. They are extremely fast in daylight and great at night. I don't consider them target type sights but a fast acquisition sight. I think they are worth the trip back to get done and done right do. down time will be minimal, and the weather we have here in Indiana, one ain't going anywhere anyhow ..

jocko
03-09-2011, 10:57 AM
A sight pusher is a great tool for adjusting and fine tuning sights. It is not designed or intended to install sights. They are great once the sight is started and nearly in place. Sometimes they are good for cracking them lose to take off the old but some have been ruined when the sights were too tight.

I spent many hours with a gunsmith who specialized in sights hence his name the sight man. Never once did I see him use a sight pusher.

ur right, one will do alot of flat sanding with installing new sights until it just feels good. But I bet you a dollar to a donut that kahr uses some type of a pusher to install their sights which you iknow have to be the tightest in the industry. There is no way kahr sights will go in easy and then all of a sudden damn near weld themselves in place.

By the way I have lots of dunkin donuts here to pay my debt to.

wyntrout
03-09-2011, 03:56 PM
Well, I finally broke down and boxed up my Springfield Champion slide and sent it to Novak Sights. I want adjustable tritium sights so I can adjust to point of aim for me. While I don't intend to conceal carry the Springfield, you never know when night sights might come in handy.

Using the flat rate small box, it was $5.20 for 14.9 ounces Priority Mail. Now I can wait about two weeks to get it back. Shipping plus about one week turn around in the shop.

I can't wait to get it back, but I'll have to!

Wynn:)

Bawanna
03-09-2011, 04:13 PM
Waiting is really tough. Probably one of the worst things we go through. We're here for ya if you need a shoulder to sob on, or warm and fuzzy kind words to ease your pain.

Rumor has it that Novak is relatively quick on sight installs. I did play a part in sending a Colt Commander back for some upgrades and didn't see the gun again for 7 months. It was a birthday gift for a friends dad that was about a month after I sent it. He got it for a late Christmas present and we got a bill that still makes me cry in public.

They do nice work though without question. And sights I'm told are much quicker.

Hopefully we'll see your pictures in 10 days or so, 5 would be better but that's just asking alot.

wyntrout
03-09-2011, 05:11 PM
I'm guestimating about $230 to $250 with the sights running about $180 or so. At least the experts will do it and I'll have real Novak cuts! :)

They do say that the turnaround on sights is only about a week. I sent them pictures and explanation about the problem I had and what I want, so maybe it will take TWO weeks!:rolleyes:

Sending the whole gun would probably run me almost a hundred more overall... and be more trouble. I went with cheap... the sights will be adjustable for elevation.

Gotta start cooking... grilled salmon (steelhead trout) tonight.

Wynn :)

JohnR
03-09-2011, 05:56 PM
I'd forgotten about these things: http://www.nitesiters.com/Nitesiters_Handgun_Night_Sights.html

Or I might just paint the whole back of the rear sight white.

earle8888
03-09-2011, 06:11 PM
For what-ever-its-worth!! The way of heating the slide and icing the site Really Works!

Bawanna
03-09-2011, 08:07 PM
I'd forgotten about these things: http://www.nitesiters.com/Nitesiters_Handgun_Night_Sights.html

Or I might just paint the whole back of the rear sight white.

Many prefer an all black back with a white dot or contrasting color on the front.

I don't think an all white rear sight would work to well, at least for me.

JohnR
03-18-2011, 12:23 PM
You're right, the whole back of the sight wouldn't need to be white, just the recessed part that's kind of triangular-shaped, straddling the gap.

JohnR
03-18-2011, 03:25 PM
...and thus, that is what I have done.