PDA

View Full Version : A Graphic Reminder

500KV
03-07-2011, 04:50 PM
Picked this up on another forum and thought it worth posting here as a gentle reminder to all of us.
This is one reason I still use an old single stage RCBS Rock Chucker.
Not the speediest setup going but lets me look into every case before I seat the bullet.

After close to a year reloading, I managed a double charge, or at least something close enough to blow up my Premier II this weekend.

I was shooting MBC 200 grain LSWC over 5.0 grains of HP38. At least, that’s what I thought I was shooting.

Round 127 of the day, the first of a fresh mag, flattened the primer, blew out the bottom of the case split both Hogue cocobolo grips vertically, bulged the magazine and peppered my face with debris. The blast broke the nose of the next round in the magazine and caused setback in the top three rounds. The back top right edge of the magazine was driven into the frame of the gun with enough force to raise a burr large enough to prevent removal of the slide.

Except for the inability to remove the slide, the gun appears fully functional and is just as tight as the day I bought it. Obviously it will be checked out by my smith before going back into rotation.

I’m fine, although given the amount of blood and the look on the range officer’s face; initially I was certain I had lost my nose. I have 10 punctures in my nose and right cheek and one in my left hand. X-rays show no metal, so it is likely burnt powder. Everyone at the hospital commented on how lucky I was to be wearing glasses.

Interestingly, as it was a fresh mag and I fire one mag per target, I was later able to see that the round hit point of aim.

Lessons learned.

Always wear safety gear. It was not luck that I was wearing eye and ear protection.

Bad things can happen even when you think you are being careful. Despite my best efforts, I clearly I got distracted during the reloading process. I’ve ordered an RCBS lock out die and am not reloading a round until it is installed and functioning.

If you always practice safe gun handling, you won’t have to think about it when it matters. When the gun blew up, it felt as though someone threw boiling water in my face and drove pins into my hands. I retreated 6 or 8 feet away from the firing line. The RO later told me that I had my finger off the trigger and kept the muzzle down range the entire time. Apparently I tried to drop the mag and rack the slide when returning the gun to the bench, but could do neither. When another RO went to clear the gun while I was getting cleaned up, he found the safety on.

The ruptured casing, broken grips and hospital bracelet are mounted on my bench as a permanent reminder of just what can happen.

Bawanna
03-07-2011, 05:14 PM
Yup always gotta keep your guard up. It's awful easy to make a little slip that can turn catastrophic.

I know in setting up my Hornady progressive I somehow in the process double charged a 45 case. (I've since attached a dental mirror to the frame press so I can easily see in every case).
I shot that double load in my PM45 at an indoor range. My son had his back to me behind me. All was going well and then this round came up. It was like a hot 44 mag load. He turned fully expecting blood and misplaced appendages but all was ok. As he turned he said I was checking to see if my hands were intact after of course making sure the gun was all in one piece.
I fired no more reloads that trip, took them all home and pulled all the bullets and reloaded.
Could have been alot worse.

jlottmc
03-08-2011, 05:29 AM
I was building a 243 for some one, and of course he just had to use his buddy's special reloads. Double charged a case, and the rifle went up in my face. Took out half my sinuses, and to this day a bunch of food tastes like styrofoam, and I can't smell that well either, which is not good because in my line of work and the one I'm going into, that is usually the first sign of trouble. I have a very short list of people whose loads I will shoot.

garyb
03-08-2011, 10:54 AM
Good lessons. Has my antennas up!

wyntrout
03-08-2011, 11:15 AM
I always used a separately mounted powder drop and bullet blocks to load the powder. I could visually check the whole block for same column of powder before proceeding.

I used a turret but still did a lot of stuff one operation at a time... like primer seating with visual inspection and feel... RCBS handheld auto primer.

I made a lot of bullet blocks with a drill press and 2x4's so I could do all of one operation at a time.

Of course I never had a "progressive" reloading press or setup for metallic cartridges... did do shot shells with a few, though.

I always wanted one of the Dillon setups... one each for my major cartridges. Unfortunately, I decided to stop reloading since the range I use doesn't allow picking up the brass. I've since found that some guys do and it's not a strictly-enforced policy.

It's one of those relaxing and rewarding activities where you make something and can be proud of your work... if you're careful! :D

Wynn:)

OldLincoln
03-08-2011, 11:41 AM
I charge mine in a tray with the Uniflow, then shine my handy light in them at an angle to note the powder level. Anything out of line and I can dump & recharge it on the spot. I'm also in the middle of the powder scale so a tad off either way won't hurt anything.

wyntrout
03-08-2011, 11:45 AM
I had several of the RCBS trays, but I found that could be clumsy trying to reach all of the rows. I wanted just two columns of holes so I could reach one side at a time easily.

Wynn:)

garyb
03-14-2011, 08:57 AM
I ordered a powder cop die for my Hornady LNL. I have not used it yet, but the instructions show that this die will demonstrate when there is an under or over charge in each casing during the loading process on their progressive loader. With this, a powder through expander can be used in the powder drop station, so there is no need for a separate case mouth expander slot. This powder through expander frees up a slot for the powder cop die. Again, I have not used any of these yet and am still a rookie reloader, but they sound like great die combos for safety features.

jeep45238
03-14-2011, 02:36 PM
Use common sense, and check your rounds regularly. Always, always, always use eye and ear protection, the best your dollar can buy.

Just remember - if you have to think about it, you did something wrong and should start over from scratch. Just like this soldier and his hand - be careful.

The link is graphic - one of the worst I've seen (and I've seen some bad ones in person).

http://www.snipercompany.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3987&start=0

jlottmc
03-14-2011, 07:35 PM
That is a nasty one alright. Proof positive that one should be careful when reloading and shooting.

earle8888
03-14-2011, 10:29 PM
I'm with wyntrout.....I use the one-thing-at-a-time reloading method, i.e. I use blocks, usually 50 rounds. Pass the block under light and visually inspect each round for the apparent same fill of powder prior to loading a bullet.

getsome
03-15-2011, 05:41 PM
OOOOUCH, Anybody got a bandaid handy or maybe two....:eek:....Man next time the guy might try using a hand grenade to hammer with cause it's heavier with more metal to pound with!!! WHACK WHACK WHA KA-BOOM well al least now that stupid pin is in but has anybody seen my head!!!...:roll: