PDA

View Full Version : Range trip - S&W 4043

O'Dell
03-09-2011, 10:46 AM
I took the new/old 4043 to the range today. The good news is that the gun functioned perfectly and I was reasonably accurate with it. The bad news is that after 100 rounds of ball and 25 of HP, my hands were shaking from the DA trigger pull. For the last rounds I was actually using my weak hand index finger to assist the pull. Since the gun works well and looks new and the NS's work, this is obviously gonna be a carry gun, not a range gun. Fortunately, my other two new 3rd gen S&W's, CS45 and 457S, are DA/SA. I'm still happy with the under $300 purchase

jlottmc
03-09-2011, 11:24 AM
Good. I still need to find one of those to play with. Is there a smitty that can smooth that double action trigger near you? I know Smith's triggers are pretty easy to work on. That may help you get that guy to the range more often (we practice with what we carry right?).

O'Dell
03-09-2011, 01:14 PM
Good. I still need to find one of those to play with. Is there a smitty that can smooth that double action trigger near you? I know Smith's triggers are pretty easy to work on. That may help you get that guy to the range more often (we practice with what we carry right?).

The trigger is actually very smooth and not too long, it's just hard. I'd estimate over 12 pounds. This is an ex-CHP pistol and maybe the CHiPs like them that way. At any rate, it didn't become a problem until I got near 100 rounds. My followup shots were quick and accurate until I got near the century mark - then my finger got tired. If I get in a defense situation where I need to fire 100 rounds, I'm either doing something badly wrong or I'm in a really bad place. anyway, I don't usually carry 8 extra mags.:)

jocko
03-09-2011, 02:03 PM
for the price, u stole it, surely one can get something done to the trigger to lighten it up. I know nothing about them, so just surmising..

jlottmc
03-12-2011, 07:24 AM
Well, I may have the bug now. CTD has new old stock 4566's with night sights and a price of $620. If they still have them at the end of the month, I may just get one. I played with one yesterday, and it felt not too bad. As for lighting that trigger, a new set of springs from Wolfs will do wonders in that department. I looked online yesterday, and saw nothing for a 4066(?) the 40 version of the 4566 that I handled. I would like both, but can live with another 45. The size and weight were pretty spot on, I still got a little of the 2x4 feel at the the top of the grip, but I think my hand size has changed, so it's not an issue. Like I said before, Smith triggers are pretty easy. Glad you found a keeper.

O'Dell
03-12-2011, 01:47 PM
Well, I may have the bug now. CTD has new old stock 4566's with night sights and a price of $620. If they still have them at the end of the month, I may just get one. I played with one yesterday, and it felt not too bad. As for lighting that trigger, a new set of springs from Wolfs will do wonders in that department. I looked online yesterday, and saw nothing for a 4066(?) the 40 version of the 4566 that I handled. I would like both, but can live with another 45. The size and weight were pretty spot on, I still got a little of the 2x4 feel at the the top of the grip, but I think my hand size has changed, so it's not an issue. Like I said before, Smith triggers are pretty easy. Glad you found a keeper.

Hi, Before you make a move you might want to check out Summit Gun Broker in MO if a 40 would work for you. Mark Kitterman is an easy guy to deal with and ships promptly. I bought both 4043's from him, one before and one after the burglary, and with a little work with Scotch pads and oil, they both looked almost new. The 4043 with an alloy frame is $295 and he has some steel framed 4006TSW's that are even newer for $365. The NS's on the 4043 are medium bright. I also got an H&K USP 40 from him for $475. It's in excellent condition and the NS's are very bright.

jlottmc
03-12-2011, 01:59 PM
Does he have a website? A trip from Tx is a bit long. I do like the 4566 and love 45, but at those prices, I should be able to get 2 or 3 for what I was thinking about giving for a new old stock at CTD. I have no problem with a 45, in fact I love my 45's but here lately 40 is starting to out number them for some reason. I may need to get the wife a new gun as well, and that cuts into my play money as well. Like I said, if he has a website, I'll see what I can find.

O'Dell
03-12-2011, 02:35 PM
Does he have a website? A trip from Tx is a bit long. I do like the 4566 and love 45, but at those prices, I should be able to get 2 or 3 for what I was thinking about giving for a new old stock at CTD. I have no problem with a 45, in fact I love my 45's but here lately 40 is starting to out number them for some reason. I may need to get the wife a new gun as well, and that cuts into my play money as well. Like I said, if he has a website, I'll see what I can find.

http://www.summitgunbroker.com/index.html

Yeah, I love the 45 ACP too, but Mark doesn't have any at this time. He has a bid in for some ex-police 4506's. The 4043 was my first 40, but in the last two weeks I've bought two more. The H&K in the picture and an M&P Compact 40. I was going to get another M&P 45, but when I compared them side by side, the 40 was a lot smaller and lighter, so I got the 40. I like to be able to comfortably carry any of my pistols.

BTW, the 4006TSW has a conventional S&W DA/SA trigger rather than the DAO on the 4043.

jlottmc
03-12-2011, 02:43 PM
That's what I got with Google, is there something I'm missing, because I see no drop down boxes not even on the left? Let me try in IE, and see if that helps, because with Firefox I get nada as far as inventory, and pricing.

O'Dell
03-12-2011, 02:58 PM
That's what I got with Google, is there something I'm missing, because I see no drop down boxes not even on the left? Let me try in IE, and see if that helps, because with Firefox I get nada as far as inventory, and pricing.

It works fine in FireFox for me. Just click on the brand you want to see.

jlottmc
03-12-2011, 03:55 PM
I got nothing until I went IE. I like that 4006, it looks like it'll be the end of the month before I can play, I'll check back to see if he has 45's then. I need to get spun up on the model numbers and what they mean again I guess.