PDA

View Full Version : God Old Days

luka
11-22-2009, 04:08 AM
It would be Nice if the Old days of Buying Ammo was Back, Do you think Ammo will be Plenty someday or is this what we have to look forward to. I keep thinking first the Health Bill and then After the Gun and then wait and see if you

can get ammo for less then (Who Knows.?

Any thoughts:rain:

500KV
11-22-2009, 06:53 AM
It would be Nice if the Old days of Buying Ammo was Back, Do you think Ammo will be Plenty someday or is this what we have to look forward to. I keep thinking first the Health Bill and then After the Gun and then wait and see if you

can get ammo for less then (Who Knows.?

Any thoughts:rain:

I personally think that handgun ammo, or maybe all ammo, restrictions could well become the method the antis use to infringe on our gun possession rights in the future.
It's already being done to some extent with the powder markers/shell casing database requirements.
Ammo restrictions can be formulated and implemented much more subtly than actual gun restrictions.
IOW start buying bullets, powder and primers before this happens.
Hope I'm wrong..

Dietrich
11-22-2009, 02:03 PM
Big gun show in Raleigh this weekend.If anyone needed ammo or reloading components they were there to be had.I don`t think we`ll ever see prices drop back to pre-Obama rates but they seem to be stabilizing for the time being.There were still a couple of dealers who were out of line with their prices but they were easily avoided.I went both days and loaded up with 12 lbs.of powder, 8,000 primers and some brass that I needed.Got more once fired brass coming next weekend from a widow woman who is selling her dead husbands reloading supplies.

500KV
11-22-2009, 02:36 PM
Sounds like you did alright Dietrich.
That stuff sure wont go bad if you halfway take care of it.
Heck, I'm still using primers I got back in the '60s and '70s. Think they cost like $5/thousand.
You're right about ammo prices and you have to wonder if availability is really going to show a lot of improvement either.

Bigcube
11-22-2009, 03:17 PM
They happened to have one box of 9mm Win wb at Wally World this weekend. When I bought it they not only checked my permit but also to make sure I had a 9mm firearm registered on it. First time every they checked for that. Not sure if it's a new rule or someone new at that counter that is being over careful.

Dietrich
11-22-2009, 06:33 PM
They happened to have one box of 9mm Win wb at Wally World this weekend. When I bought it they not only checked my permit but also to make sure I had a 9mm firearm registered on it. First time every they checked for that. Not sure if it's a new rule or someone new at that counter that is being over careful.

Christ almighty Bigcube,where in the world do you live?Down here in Dogpatch,they don`t care if you can even spell gun,much less have one to fit the ammo you buy.

Raoul
11-22-2009, 06:59 PM

Yet another good reason to be southern.

BigD
11-22-2009, 09:55 PM

Gotta agree with the others on here, that's absolutely ridiculous! I realize ammo can be hard to find in some places but I believe I would have turned around and walked out. None of that info is any of their business!

Are you of age to purchase "handgun" ammunition? Do you have a drivers license to prove it? Do you have the $$ to pay for it? That is ALL they need to be concerned about!
:31:

(none of my rant is aimed personally at you BigCube just to be clear!)

wagon
11-22-2009, 11:26 PM
I've been hearing a lil voice keep saying to me that some day Chairman O and the gang, while will not / may not (be able to) push for a gun ban, will come up with some "ammo tax" ... by then we may regard our current price "cheap". They might just call it "2nd amendment tax"

I've been telling that lil voice to go away but it's just too stubborn... I hope it is wrong.

Bigcube
11-23-2009, 04:09 AM
Christ almighty Bigcube,where in the world do you live?Down here in Dogpatch,they don`t care if you can even spell gun,much less have one to fit the ammo you buy.

That's good old Upstate NY. Just to be clear, they have always checked for a permit to purchase handgun ammo around here. What was new was the kid checking the permit for a 9mm firearm. In NY every handgun you own it recorded on your permit.

500KV
11-23-2009, 06:43 AM
That's good old Upstate NY. Just to be clear, they have always checked for a permit to purchase handgun ammo around here. What was new was the kid checking the permit for a 9mm firearm. In NY every handgun you own it recorded on your permit.

Just curious; do the guns listed on your permit also have the caliber listed as well?

Are you allowed to carry any gun that's listed or is your permit for a specific weapon?
We're allowed to carry any handgun we choose (or as many) and none are listed on the permit.

What if the ammo is for a long gun?

Man I just can't get my head around some of these idiotic requirements some states have. :crazy:
Anyway, glad you got your ammo Bigcube. Rant off!!

Bigcube
11-23-2009, 06:31 PM
Just curious; do the guns listed on your permit also have the caliber listed as well?

Are you allowed to carry any gun that's listed or is your permit for a specific weapon?
We're allowed to carry any handgun we choose (or as many) and none are listed on the permit.

What if the ammo is for a long gun?

Man I just can't get my head around some of these idiotic requirements some states have. :crazy:
Anyway, glad you got your ammo Bigcube. Rant off!!
NY is one of the few states that tie firearms to your permit. Every handgun you own is listed on your permit. This includes Make, Model, SN and Caliber. If it shoots 2 calibers, they would like to know both of them. You can only legally carry a gun that is listed on your permit. As far as ammo goes , if it's a .22 cal they don't care, just specific handgun calibers requires a permit to purchase ammo. They get worried after 5 or so guns unless your a collector. That's just the way it is in NY :2rolleyes:

steve666
11-24-2009, 09:16 AM
:DHere in Indy there is no permit required to purchase ammo. The only thing I've had checked was my money (guess I look my age). When I've had ammo shipped to me I've had to fax or email a copy of my Drivers License as proof of age and a statement that I was of age and wasn't a felon. As far as listing my handguns on my permit:crazy:, it would have to be an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper.

johnatw
11-24-2009, 09:29 AM
Dietrich and 500kv
I'm interested in learning how to reload ammo for my CW40. Has there been any problems with your reload ammo? Are you able to reload self defence ammo?
Used to live in Johnston Co. NC and always liked the gun shows at the Fairgrounds.

Dietrich
11-24-2009, 10:01 AM
Johnatw,the really nice thing about reloading your own ammo,{beside saving money] is that you can tailor your rounds to a specific need as in target shooting,hunting or self defense.Reloading is a wonderful hobby but it`s one in which you need to pay close attention to what you`re doing.The least distraction can cause a costly error,so be on your toes constantly.I was lucky when I got started because my next door neighbor had been reloading for years and took me under his wing.Reloading isn`t really hard to learn but keep an eye on the details. If you know someone who will mentor you,all the better.The people on this forum will be glad to give you any advice that you may need but a hands-on buddy is a valuable asset.Let us know how things are going.Dietrich.

P.S. Where do you live now,Pal?

johnatw
11-24-2009, 10:47 AM
Dietrich
Thanks for the quick reply which is very helpful. My BIL is into rifle and shotgun ammo reloading and has offered to mentor me.
I am in Arkansas now after 30 years in NC

500KV
11-24-2009, 11:58 AM
Dietrich and 500kv
I'm interested in learning how to reload ammo for my CW40. Has there been any problems with your reload ammo? Are you able to reload self defence ammo?
Used to live in Johnston Co. NC and always liked the gun shows at the Fairgrounds.

johnatw, I can't really add much to what Dietrich has very ably advised.
I actually enjoy the reloading process almost as much as "unloading" them.

While I do reload for long guns as well, handgun reloading is really a simpler process because most handgun cartridges are straight walled and don't require case lubrication or trimming with the right dies.
It sure makes shooting more affordable and simplifies the ammo acquisition process.
I'm sure you will enjoy reloading and will be glad to share what knowledge I have if needed.
Good luck.

Longitude Zero
11-25-2009, 02:24 PM
IMHO supply will probably get back to what we knew before, prices not hardly. Once they go up the generally stay up.

mr surveyor
11-25-2009, 05:23 PM
as most on this forum (from the "age poll"), I think I can safely say, unfortunately, these ARE the "Good Old Days".

How's that for pessimism?

surv

Raoul
11-26-2009, 07:18 AM
as most on this forum (from the "age poll"), I think I can safely say, unfortunately, these ARE the "Good Old Days".

How's that for pessimism?

surv

I think you are way to optimistic Mr S. http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/images/smilies/tinfoil.gifhttp://www.tngunowners.com/forums/images/smilies/yeager.gif

zena
11-26-2009, 06:36 PM

And I thought Massachusetts was bad! You must show your permit to buy ammo (or components) but our guns are listed no where.

zena
11-26-2009, 06:44 PM
johnatw, I can't really add much to what Dietrich has very ably advised.
I actually enjoy the reloading process almost as much as "unloading" them.

While I do reload for long guns as well, handgun reloading is really a simpler process because most handgun cartridges are straight walled and don't require case lubrication or trimming with the right dies.
It sure makes shooting more affordable and simplifies the ammo acquisition process.
I'm sure you will enjoy reloading and will be glad to share what knowledge I have if needed.
Good luck.

johnatw--These guys pretty much covered it. Reloading is very rewarding and if senility is setting in for you as it is for me, I sort of consider my ammo "free" when I've just cooked up a batch. All the stuff was right there and without spending a nickel in the "dungeon", presto! I have ammo. When you start scrounging around in the trash at the range or find yourself on your knees as much as standing, you'll know you are hooked! Enjoy! :33:

johnatw
11-27-2009, 06:40 AM
Thanks to everyone for their imput.
Zena, I am nearing the senile stage, and all ready spending a lot of time picking up spent casings. My wife thinks I'm nuts, but happy I'm not hanging out in bars and poolhalls.

Dietrich
11-27-2009, 03:28 PM
Thanks to everyone for their imput.
Zena, I am nearing the senile stage, and all ready spending a lot of time picking up spent casings. My wife thinks I'm nuts, but happy I'm not hanging out in bars and poolhalls.
Hell,if I didn`t hang out in bars and poolhalls,I`d never find my preacher.:madgrin:

500KV
11-27-2009, 03:50 PM
One of the best innovations yet was when they put pool tables in bars.:9: