PDA

View Full Version : shooting with both eyes open

swampman
03-09-2011, 05:31 PM
I've taught myself lately to shoot with both eyes open,One of the best things I've done for my shooting skills,I learned how to do it from one of those shootings shows,I think the show is called Handguns.Wish I new about this skill 40 years a go.:)

Bawanna
03-09-2011, 05:36 PM
I've been working a long long time to master the two eye thing. I usually have to close one to acquire a target then I can open both. Once I'm on I can track moving targets without trouble, it's just that initial getting on that trips me.

A perfect example of how hard it is to retrain a well broken in bad habit I guess.

earle8888
03-09-2011, 05:48 PM
That's what makes the CTL such a great accessory. It let U the shooter maintain full peripheral vision naturally and thus much better Situational Awareness! and it is easy!!!

Jeremiah/Az
03-09-2011, 05:50 PM
I always shoot with both eyes open. I am a sporting clays shooter primarily & you need to use both eyes to pick up targets, judge their speed, distance, & line or angle. One eyed shooters do not fair well in that sport. I do have trouble using both eyes on a scoped rifle.

JohnR
03-09-2011, 05:51 PM
I was taught from the start to keep both eyes open. Use your dominant eye to aim. The muscles of the other eyelid will get fatigued after a long shooting session if you keep closing it.

swampman
03-09-2011, 05:54 PM
I've been working a long long time to master the two eye thing. I usually have to close one to acquire a target then I can open both. Once I'm on I can track moving targets without trouble, it's just that initial getting on that trips me.

A perfect example of how hard it is to retrain a well broken in bad habit I guess.
Having one eye open and opening the other while on target is one of about three ways to train your brain to accept the correct sight picture.Another way is to cover your eye and increasingly remove the cover or put tape on one lens of your glasses:)

pappy42
03-10-2011, 08:36 AM
It's best to learn to shoot with both eyes open if you carry for self defense.

I assure you, that during a gunfight, you will not be capable of closing one eye.

Ljutic
03-10-2011, 12:20 PM
I had to learn to shoot with both eyes open when I started serious trap shooting. I still find myself trying to close ol' lefty when taking fine aim, but I usually catch myself and open it back up.

O'Dell
03-10-2011, 02:19 PM
I've been shooting for over 40 years and I don't remember ever shooting any other way. Marine Corp training I guess.

jocko
03-10-2011, 02:32 PM
I have shot that way all my life, never knew there was another way. My son just cannot do it though. I guess it is all how u master it..

jocko
03-10-2011, 02:33 PM
I had to learn to shoot with both eyes open when I started serious trap shooting. I still find myself trying to close ol' lefty when taking fine aim, but I usually catch myself and open it back up.

do u shoot a ljutic. What a master peace..

robmcd
03-10-2011, 02:58 PM
There are varying degrees of eye dominance. Shooters who are strongly dominant can usually shoot with both eyes open pretty easily, but those with lesser eye dominance may have to close the other eye or use one of the methods previously suggested. Unfortunately keeping one eye closed will tire the other eye, so perhaps the gray Scotch tape method would be preferable. Many people that I know close one eye for a second to pick up the front sight.

To measure eye dominance, have the other person first extend their right index finger and arm completely and point at your dominant eye, then have them repeat the procedure with their left side. In each instance note the position of their index finger relative to their eye and face. The scoring system is: 1 point for just under their right eye, 2 points for between their right eye and nose, 3 points for their nose, 4 points for between their nose and left eye, and 5 points for just under their left eye. A score of 3 or less means the person is strongly right eye dominant, and a score or 9 or higher means they are strongly left eye dominant. Don't let them cheat by maneuvering their finger after it comes to a stop.

I learned this method from Dr. Richard Colo, a well known shooters' Eye Doctor from CT.

Ljutic
03-10-2011, 06:47 PM
do u shoot a ljutic. What a master peace..

Yes, I did shoot a Ljutic mono gun for a few years. I got it just about the time I started using AOL (96?) and used it as my first email address and various log in IDs for bulletin boards. You are correct that they are a masterpiece of simplicity and strength. I would shoot over 20,000 shells a year through it and never needed to change any parts. When I traded it off it was still tight and had 1000's more rounds through it than your PM9. :D

It still breaks my heart when I think about all the sweet pre-lock Smith & Wessons, Gen 1 Glock 17, Interarms PPKs, High Power, and all the other things I sold to fund the Ljutic purchase. I wish I had the money to keep everything at the time, but I was still working my way up the earning curve at that time. I kept that gun until I started shooting serious doubles and traded it as a partial payment for a Perazzi trap combo.