PDA

View Full Version : Newbie from Allentown, PA

Cookster
03-10-2011, 08:55 PM
Hi Everyone,

Thank you for the nice 'greeting' John!

I look forward to being a member of this forum. I 'found' a reference to the forum while doing some research on pocket .380's. I think something in this category will be my next purchase. The usual cast of plastic framed characters are in the running, with the P380 and the LCP being the top runners.

I have a MK9 which I really like (natch).

The quality, reliability, shootability and other features of the P380 put it at the top of the list.

The LCP is no slouch either. It has proven to be a reliable weapon as well. One can get an LCP with a CT laser for about $100 less than the P380.

This is where a decision will be difficult. Wish I could get both so I wouldn't have to make a decision, but that's not happening.

All my best to everyone!

Regards,

Rob

Kahr Carrying Infidel
03-10-2011, 09:22 PM
Welcome from a fellow newb. You might consider the Sig P238 as well. Very, very nice 380 and a wide variety of styles to suit your needs.

Willieboy
03-10-2011, 10:05 PM
Welcome Rob from a broken down old white guy. Plase say "Hello" to all the pretty girls in Allentown for me.

Ljutic
03-10-2011, 11:35 PM
Hi Rob. Welcome aboard from an ex-NJ PA border guy.

I had both the LCP and P380 for a few months and ended up keeping the P380. Check out Gunbroker for a reasonable price on a P380 with night sights. The LCP may be cheaper, but I bet if you tried both you would see and feel the extra value you get for your Kahr dollars. Can't beat that Kahr trigger.

jocko
03-11-2011, 05:18 AM
cookster: I own um both the lcp TODAY is one flawless little gun, it goes bang every time. My P380 is no doubt a betterquality gun, it shoots alot better and doesn't tear me up when shooting it. I can hit with it where I could not hit with the lcp BUT that being all said the lcp is definitely a great gun. Your not gonna shoot either one alot. Just not that type of gun ,ammo is expensive, and hard to find even. It is what it is a very close up small ass gun. I don't shoot either one my 380 hardly at all . Indeed you can get the lcp with a laser on it for far less than the P380 and that laser will make that little gun one heh of a shooter to.
My lcp andP380 both had to go backone time for work on them,both now are shooters. No comparison i the two triggers either. Kahrt wins that one hands down. Stainless over blued steel,kahr wins that one hands down. sight system. kahr wins that one hands down. accuracy of each in the same shooters hands, kahr wins that one hands down more bells and whistles, kahr wins that one hands down. Price, Ruger wins that one hands down. Both going bang when u needit to. Kahr and Ruge rboth winners..

MW surveyor
03-11-2011, 06:10 AM
Welcome to the forum Cookster.

If at all possible, see if you can rent both the LCP and P380 before you make your final decision. If you've never shot one of these pocket guns, you will definitely know which one is the best for you after you shoot them both at the same outing.

WMD
03-11-2011, 06:49 AM
Welcome to the forum Rob!

Ditto on what Ljutic and MW Surveyor says. I have shot them both and definitely favor the P380. It has much less recoil and therefore more easier to shoot. If you have a better half (or girlfriend), she will have no issues with the P380, whereas the LCP may be a different story. (Keeping the little lady happy means a lot when you are a gun person and want to buy guns!)

LCP has a snappy recoil that can hurt after a few shots! :eek:

The LCP "works" but the Kahr works just so much better in every way (but price)! IMHO, you do get what you pay for. :D

johnh
03-11-2011, 07:00 AM
I have to agree with the above posts on quality. Also must stress that the LCP trigger pull is bad. Not God awful, but heavy and long. Kahr's DAO pulls are very hard to beat. On a little pistol where your grip is tenuous at best, having a stiff trigger can really mess with your point of aim. The LCP is a product improved Kel-tec, with a lot of that effort going into reliability. So in that respect, far better than its ancestry, but not as shooter friendly as the P380.

TD2K
03-11-2011, 08:54 AM
Good ole Allentown! The company I work for has a plant in PA, I fly into Allentown when I work up there. The plant is in Shartlesville.

Welcome, from an Okie. :)

and I LOVE my P380

Cookster
03-11-2011, 08:29 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone, and for the excellent input on the P380 and LCP!

It would indeed be nice to shoot both of them at the same range session. I'll have to check with our local indoor range to see what they've got available.

What I gather from everyone is that they are both decent pistols, with the edge going to the Kahr for its trigger, shootability (less felt recoil), build quality and sights. I think the slide locking back after the last round is a nice feature too.

I'll keep ya posted.

Have a great weekend!

Rob

TD2K
03-14-2011, 06:29 AM
you are correct, sir. I shot my hubby's LCP during the same trip with my P380 and there was no comparison. The P380 is much more pleasant to shoot (less recoil), I am MUCH more accurate, and IMO, it's much prettier (shiny). :D

kahrseye
03-14-2011, 07:33 AM
Welcome from a fellow Pennsylvanian, this is a great forum and I'm sure you're going to love it here. With regards to your post....I've owned both the LCP and P380 and in my opinion there is no comparison between the two. The LCP is not a bad weapon but it's just not as good as the P380. The LCP's sites are not as good as the Kahr, the trigger is not as smooth as the Kahr, and the overall shooting experience is no where near as good as the Kahr. All that said, I'd suggest you go with a PM9, it's slightly larger than the P380, but I pocket carry mine all the time. You already have a 9mm so you don't have to buy more expensive ammo and it's readily available. Just my 2 cents worth.