PDA

View Full Version : P380 Holster Choices

Cokeman
03-12-2011, 12:58 AM
I pulled the trigger in a P380 today and now need to decide how I am going to carry it. What ways do you carry yours? If you switch styles from time to time, mark more than one answer in the poll. Also, what types of holsters work well with this gun? What brands do you recommend?

CPO15
03-12-2011, 02:31 AM
One of the advantages of pistols such as the P380 is the various methods one can employ in carry alternatives. I think you'll find that many responders choose the carry method to fit circumstances at the time. For example; I carry owb when I can wear a cover garment, front pocket in dress slacks and back pocket in jeans. If I'm wearing jeans but will be driving I'll use owb for comfort and wear a cover garment. If I'm wearing dress slacks with a sport coat I pick owb for comfort. I use a Remora if I'm going about in shorts with an untucked shirt. For golf, it usually rides in my golf bag. The pistol, for me. goes where circumstances dictate. 'Course, I got the "big box 'o holsters" too.

In addition to the Remora I use a back pocket/front pocket leather holster from Bear Creek, a belt slide nylon from Active Pro Gear (I love these, have several for everything from a BHP to Glocks to P380). Here's some links:

http://www.activeprogear.com/holsters.html

http://remoraholsters.com/

http://www.bearcreekholsters.com/back-pocket.php

Bear Creek is a great vendor: he'll stay in contact with you and he ships fast, got mine in less than a week.

Cokeman
03-12-2011, 03:16 AM
Cool!

One thing I just thought of, is it better to carry a gun this small in a canted holster or noncanted holster when carrying IWB?

jocko
03-12-2011, 05:37 AM
just to me seems like the P380 should be in the pocket. If I was gona waist band carry, it would then be a PM9 or that dreaded PM45..!!1

BuckeyeBlast
03-12-2011, 06:05 AM
Jocko took the words out of my keyboard...

For my purposed, the gun doesn't determine where I carry, but instead where I need to carry determines what gun.

If I need to pocket carry, then the P380 it is. If I can IWB carry, then it's the PM9.

onegun
03-12-2011, 07:10 AM
Pocket only. Any other place it's something bigger.

Pender1
03-12-2011, 09:59 AM
I've got a CrossBreed Microclip for the occasional IWB (got it at a steal) and I just ordered a pocket holster from Aholster, should be here in a couple of weeks

Cokeman
03-12-2011, 01:26 PM
Does the crossbreed stay in place pretty well? I always wonder when they only have one clip on the side of the holster.

Pender1
03-12-2011, 02:06 PM
the microclip isn't great if you're going to be very active as it'll rotate some as you move, but most of the time the front of the grip sits on top of my belt and it works fine. I only got it because I got the holster cheap, I don't carry it IWB much. One thing I will say is it weighs NOTHING.

I did buy my brother the minituck(the 2 clip one) for his lcp and it works incredibly well.

Cokeman
03-12-2011, 04:04 PM
I do IWB now with my Glock. I am looking for a small holster can do IWB and front pocket, like a pocket holster with a clip. Or a small IWB that also fits in the pocket.

JCP281
03-12-2011, 05:06 PM
I do IWB now with my Glock. I am looking for a small holster can do IWB and front pocket, like a pocket holster with a clip. Or a small IWB that also fits in the pocket.

Remora holsters. See the light ;)

CPO15
03-13-2011, 01:03 AM
Some folks use a Remora for both IWB and front pocket; I find the Remora just a little too sticky to easily go into and out of my pocket. Other folks will do the same thing with a DeSantis Nemisis or a Blackhawk pocket holster although these don't seem to be sticky enough to handle the IWB duty. None of these three have a clip. Lastly, I've read of some guys using an Uncle Mike's IWB (w/ a clip) for the two roles.

I predict you'll end up with a "box 'o holsters".........get over it, it happens......

Good luck in your search.

Cokeman
03-13-2011, 01:31 AM
Maybe. I only bought one for my Glock and like it. It's a High Noon Bare Asset (http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Product_Line/Bare_Asset/bare_asset.html). I like it but wanted something a little nicer for the Kahr. Maybe I'll end up with another High Noon holster.

Cokeman
03-13-2011, 01:34 AM
I like #16 on this page (http://hiddenholsters.net/). I thought it would be cool with a clip on the back.

Pender1
03-13-2011, 11:13 AM
not sure what he charges for custom work, but look at the one on the bottom left here (http://www.rkbaholsters.com/Custom.htm)
I know his holsters are good quality, i've got one for my PM9

Cokeman
03-13-2011, 05:25 PM
That's what I was thinking exactly. Thanks!

TD2K
03-14-2011, 09:26 AM
IWB with my MK9, purse carry with my P380

kahrking
03-14-2011, 01:37 PM
I would not buy a holster unless it is specifically fitted for the Kahr p380. The "one size fit all" or "non fitted" holsters are for junk pocket guns. If you can afford the Kahr you can afford a quality holster I would say a minimum of 10% of what you spent on the gun as a rule of thumb would be reasonable. People with $600 guns and $16 holsters have a lot to learn. Let me guess, your wearing a $12 Walmart belt with that $16 holster?

Also beware of "over fitted" holsters with deep creases and un-needed tooling as they can hinder the draw and make re-holstering difficult. They are all show!

The double duty holster is a also a joke, who wants the outline of the clip printing through your pocket or worse pressed into you leg making the gun print more. Removable clips are risky at best in an IWB carry.

Buy good, buy two, and only do it once. Repeat this for your other models.

Junk holster have no resale.

Pender1
03-14-2011, 02:49 PM
kahrking, you have a few good points, but you'll find holsters aren't always "get what you pay for." I've had several "cheap" holsters that worked exceedingly well. I say find what you like and go for it.

jocko
03-14-2011, 03:02 PM
actrually a desantis willfit many of the pocket 380's and I find the desantis one of the finest little pocket holsters made. I have had my fill of top dollar leather pocket holsters and IMO my desantis is stillmy 24/7 carry holster for my PM9 and P380. It fits well tomy body, closed end keeps it clean.

Leather pocket rigs IMO take so damn long to get broken in and body fitting and then what, if itis any faster drawing it out of my pocket over my desantis, I can't tell the difference. Really not a fast draw area anyway.

Now waist band carry is a different thing. A good quality fitting leather holster is very very nice when made for any gun to. So for me it all depends where the gun is going to be carried.

kahrking
03-14-2011, 05:28 PM
I have always had suede pocket holsters so they break in real quick and don't move around. Good leather holsters wont wear out like the synthetic ones tend to. My buddy has had 2 Nemesis pocket holsters now for his LCP.

I think some people spend months, days and weeks deciding on a gun and about 4 minutes on making a holster decision.

I haven't found a "one size fits all" holster that I felt comfortable with fit, I often wear cargo shorts and I want my gun to stay in the holster even when its made its way upside down. I wish 5.11 or someone made cargo shorts with some sort of inner pocket for pocket holsters!

Could be a million dollar idea?

Cokeman
03-14-2011, 09:20 PM
Give me some examples.

kahrking
03-17-2011, 10:49 AM
[QUOTE=Cokeman;59435]Give me some examples.[/QUOTE

ALL my pocket holsters are are made by Jason Winnie, they have a finished leather inside with a suede outer and are fitted with an actual P380 for a perfect fit. He is in Missouri. I have 7 or 8 of his holsters.

I will post pics of my 380 holster later. Oh yeah it was like $35.00 (thats a steal!)

Cokeman
03-17-2011, 07:11 PM
Cool. Can't wait to see them.

kahrking
03-17-2011, 09:27 PM
Cool. Can't wait to see them.

Cokeman here a couple of pics. I think I will open a new post for others to see so I will post more pics on that one including the guy who makes them info.

Cokeman
03-17-2011, 10:39 PM
Nice!

I found his site. Jasonwinnie.com (http://www.jasonwinnie.com/)

No pocket holsters on the site though.

Show us what else you have and post a link to your thread.

Cokeman
03-17-2011, 10:42 PM
Who voted other? What is your other? Concealed carry hat?

kahrking
03-17-2011, 10:52 PM
Nice! Does he have a website?

He has a website check out the new post I put up on the P380 pocket holsters I put more info on there.

If you search for his name you will find his website, let me know if you dont and Ill find it and post it.

I also posted some pics on that post.

kahrking
03-18-2011, 10:08 AM
Here is the website,

www.jasonwinnie.com (http://www.jasonwinnie.com)

He doesnt show everything on his site so if your looking for something you might call him.

Cokeman
03-20-2011, 08:37 PM
IWB with my MK9, purse carry with my P380

So I should get a purse? :confused:

kahrking
03-20-2011, 10:33 PM
Nice!

I found his site. Jasonwinnie.com (http://www.jasonwinnie.com/)

No pocket holsters on the site though.

Show us what else you have and post a link to your thread.

Cokeman- how do I post a link to a thread? Cut and paste the HTTP:?

Cokeman
03-21-2011, 12:49 AM
I'm not sure what you mean.

kahrking
03-21-2011, 09:58 AM
I'm not sure what you mean.

Sorry, I mis-typed link. Im not sure how to post a link to a thread.

Cokeman
03-22-2011, 12:03 AM
Copy the address in the address bar at the top of the page with the thread that you want to link to. Then click the icon with the world in the reply box on this page. Is that what you mean?

kahrking
03-22-2011, 10:39 PM
Copy the address in the address bar at the top of the page with the thread that you want to link to. Then click the icon with the world in the reply box on this page. Is that what you mean?

Cokeman-I will have to try that.