PDA

View Full Version : P380 Vs. PM9

Polygon
03-13-2011, 02:11 PM
I recently got a P380. I have yet to shoot it. However, I've been thinking I should have gotten the PM9 instead. I'm obviously would intend to use either for concealed carry.

I would really like to hear some opinions from people who have owned both or at least shot both. I'm really curious to know which one is considered more reliable.

MikeyKahr
03-13-2011, 02:50 PM
A case of buyer's remorse sucks! I have no experience with a P380 (and love my PM9), but thought it may be a bit helpful to post links to two similar threads while you're waiting to hear from someone with experience.

http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=728&highlight=P380+vs+PM9

http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=3127&highlight=PM9+versus+P380

jocko
03-13-2011, 03:17 PM
Owning them both and loving them both, the PM9 is more reliable.

Polygon
03-13-2011, 04:19 PM
A case of buyer's remorse sucks! I have no experience with a P380 (and love my PM9), but thought it may be a bit helpful to post links to two similar threads while you're waiting to hear from someone with experience.

http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=728&highlight=P380+vs+PM9

http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=3127&highlight=PM9+versus+P380

Tell me about it.

I got this P380 to replace my P3AT and without having even shot it yet I love the P380 over the P3AT. It wasn't until after I got the P380 I started to see stuff on the PM9. That's when buyer's remorse set in. :(

Thanks for the links. That's exactly what I was looking for.

Owning them both and loving them both, the PM9 is more reliable.

And that's the deciding factor. Plus, I really like the prospect of getting ammo when I need it and for a lot less.

Thanks for the help guys. Now I just need to find someone to buy my P380, ammo, and accessories I already bought for it.

cgo99
03-13-2011, 05:25 PM
Keep in mind that the forum has a Market Place thread, no harm in trying to sell it here.

jocko
03-13-2011, 05:33 PM
Polygon: keep in mind, I own a P380 and an lcp. The P380 shoots better for me than my PM9 does but I just can carry my PM9 any place I can carry my P380 and it is all about firepower for me also, plus the fact that they just rip one off for 380 ammo price let along even finding it available in alot of places. I just trust my PM9 more for some reason..

Do I wish I neve rhad my P380 today with xs sight s on it??? I am 50-50 on that decision. I just don't know. I normaly don't buy stuff just to say I have it and I just don't shoot my two 380's anymore..

MikeyKahr
03-13-2011, 06:45 PM
Now I just need to find someone to buy my P380, ammo, and accessories I already bought for it.

Hey Polygon, I'd suggest thinking about it a bit before putting it on the market. The P380 is a fantastic gun. Yes, the reliability of the PM9 seems to be a bit better than the PM9 (generalizing) but they're both great guns. Yes, they are similar in size, but there are times that a P380 would come in handy as it is smaller and lighter. The upcoming summer comes to mind, shorts and t-shirts weather, the P380 would be a fantastic companion during those summer months when the PM9 is just a tad bit big.

All that said, can I make a proposal? Keep the P380 for the time being, shoot it some to see how she runs for you. If she's a keeper, keep it. If for some reason it unfortunately is not, send it to Kahr and they'll fix it on their dime (as yours is new). Then once good, either keep it or peddle it then. If you do want a PM9 and money's an issue and you can't have both, think about getting the new CM9 that will be coming out in the next two weeks (comparable to the PM9 but without some of the bells and whistles). That should be a sweet selection at right around $400 for a fantastic Kahr. The P380 and the CM9 would be great companions. Just my $0.02 to think about.

wyntrout
03-14-2011, 12:43 AM
Here's the pdf brochure with the comparisons:

http://www.kahr.com/PDF/p380sellsheet.pdf

I have both and have been carrying the P380 most of the time... it's so tiny and has quite a bite with the right ammo.

Wynn:)

Bill K
03-14-2011, 08:24 AM
Hi,

Concealed carry how? If you're favoring something like pocket or ankle, carry then, in my opinion, you made the better choice. If you favor IWB or OWB then the PM9 (and a whole bunch of other guns) would be a better choice - again, in my opinion.

Bill K.

nativeson
03-14-2011, 08:53 AM
I recently got a P380. I have yet to shoot it. However, I've been thinking I should have gotten the PM9 instead. I'm obviously would intend to use either for concealed carry.

I would really like to hear some opinions from people who have owned both or at least shot both. I'm really curious to know which one is considered more reliable.
I have both the PM 9 and the P380. I have shot both several hundred rounds and have not had a failure of any type with either. I would say from my experience both are very reliable and concealable. IMHO the choice is a simple matter of confidence. Which would you be more comfortable carrying?

TD2K
03-14-2011, 09:28 AM
I have both the P380 and MK9. Wouldn't trade either of them. What's wrong with having BOTH?!?!?!?!!

Garland
03-14-2011, 11:01 AM
I was in your situation six months ago. I bought the P380 because I wanted a well-made ultra concealable weapon. I had not carried before, and I was concerned that if the gun was too large I would leave it home.

Still, I ended up purchasing a PM9 recently because of that buyer's remorse bug. In retrospect, if I was only going to have one, I would get the PM9. But the P380 showed me that I could carry every single day with no problem. If I had started with the PM9 it would not have been as easy for me, in the beginning at least.

My P380 was not fully reliable for about 300 rounds and a recoil spring change, my PM9 perfect out of the box. I enjoy shooting the P380 more, though, and am more accurate with it also.

I like them both, and I plan to keep them both.

wyntrout
03-14-2011, 11:07 AM
Sometimes you just feel like a "Lite"... PM-Lite... the P380. :D

The PM9 is my "tweener"... between the P380 and the PM45.

Popeye
03-14-2011, 01:17 PM
Hate to rain on your parade, but you did indeed ask. P380 is a nice little pistol, but the .380 round is just so limited compared to a 9mm. I have a .380 but I was not willing to lay to much money down on one when you can get a nice reliable little KT P3at. for under $250. I do not carry the P3at nearly as much since I got my PM9 but there are times when it has it's place. After break in and a F&B the P3at has proven itself to be a very reliable piece, but like I mentioned IMO it has it's limitations. IMO the PM9 is the perfect CC pistol.

wyntrout
03-14-2011, 02:00 PM
If you don't mind a bit more recoil, the Buffalo Bore +P .380 loads are good performers and work well in the P380. I have the 90-grain JHP +P and the +P 95-grain flat nosed FMJ's for defense loads. The solids are for possible northern excursions and heavier clothing. These were the top performers velocity/energy in the Ballistics by the Inch tests, especially in the P380.

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/megraphs/380auto2010.html

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/380auto2010.html

BB 90-gr .380 JHP+P: http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=129

BB 95-gr FMJ FP +P: http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=128

I'm not trying to sell this ammo and I usually carry Winchester Ranger T ammo in my .380 these days, but if I want the Lite gun and heavy ammo, I have some choices.

JMHO

Jeremiah/Az
03-14-2011, 10:03 PM
I have both the PM9 & the P380 & they have both been very reliable. The PM9 goes on my belt when I get dressed & stays there until I go to bed. I have never carried the P380, but it sure is fun to shoot. If I ever get paranoid enough, I may carry one on each side!!! LOL

Goffman
03-15-2011, 12:10 AM

Think about passing on your P380 to your wife or significant other. My wife loves her P380: small, flat, light weight, ultra concealable, manageable recoil, accurate, durable, simple to operate (i.e., no extra safeties, bells, whistles, etc.)....hard to beat, in my opinion. She tried out a variety of small semiautos and settled on the P380. Certainly up there among the best $600 I've spent in terms of peace of mind gained. I should say, though, that I'm partial to the pocket-sized 380s myself, and I own a S&W BG380 as well as a PM9.

wyntrout
03-15-2011, 12:32 AM
I hope that one day Kahr will make a CM380, as well as a K45. A cheaper, full-featured CM380 would surely be a hot seller. And, I think a K45 would, too.

jocko
03-15-2011, 12:57 AM
k45 would be a nice peace, just not sure it would be a nice seller. It's all about polymer anymore.

cm380 should be no more of a brainer thaqn the cm9 was..

jlottmc
03-15-2011, 06:23 AM
It's all about the marketing. The P380 needs to make its run, then we can talk about cm380. The K45 issues needs to be taken up on our end though. We all know that it sell like wildfire, but they don't. Let's get on the stick here and start pestering Kahr for it, then a bit later the MK45. Seriously, the squeaky wheel gets the grease, so start squeaking.

bonjorno2
03-15-2011, 07:24 AM
i've owned a couple p380's and ending up selling them in the end because of the availability of the ammo... I had plenty of issues with break in's and had to deal to send my pistol back to kahr a few times to get it working right. I ended up giving up in the end and moving on. I have never had any issues with my cw9 or pm40 when I had those pistols. PM9 in my mind is better than the p380.

Polygon
03-21-2011, 08:32 PM
Just an update. Rather than quoting everyone I'll just post a blanket response.

I bought the PM9. I went to Cabelas to check it out against my P380. After handling both at the same time it just sealed the deal. I carry in an IWB and the difference between the two in negligible. I don't pocket or ankle carry so printing isn't a worry for me.

I didn't want to shoot my P380 because I didn't want to devalue it. I want to be able to sell it as a new gun. Hell, I haven't even loaded the magazine or chambered a round in it. The only pro to going with the P380 was size. Mainly I'm sick and tired of of the crap with getting .380 ammo. It will be nice to be able to get ammo when I want it, and for a reasonable price. Plus, with the grip extension, the PM9 fits my hand perfectly. The added stopping power is always nice.

In the end, I thought about keeping both but I just don't see the point. I would only carry one and it would always be the P380. Also, I wish I had a someone I could just give the P380 to, but I'm single so..... Plus, with the money I get from selling my P380 I'm going to put it towards a Ruger .22 and a Springfield 1911.

However, I have one concern. Recently, on another forum, and disgruntled P380 owner told me not use the grip extensions. Here's what he said:

Good luck. All I can say is shoot 200 or so and take apart your mags and check your followers and the mag catch. If you can feel sharp edges forming on the catch, or see gouges all down the followers, send it back to Kahr. It's not awe inspiring to have mags drop while shooting.

One other thing is I'd probably avoid using grip extensions on it. I shoot mine fine anyway without, much better than the P3AT. The slight finger pressure on the extension seems to rock the mags very slightly to the rear. The magwell seems to be kind of funnel shaped to help loading, but the small amount of extra slack at the bottom allows the mag to pivot slightly. At first I thought this is what caused my mag drop problem. Took them off after the first fix, but the gouging/dropping continued to develop on the new parts.

Is this any sort of concern with the P380 or the PM9?

Goffman
03-21-2011, 11:20 PM
However, I have one concern. Recently, on another forum, and disgruntled P380 owner told me not use the grip extensions. Here's what he said:

Is this any sort of concern with the P380 or the PM9?

My wife has Pearce grip extensions on her P380. No problems whatsoever, and the extensions really help with the "gripability" of the little pistol. I have tried out Pearce extensions on my PM9 as well. No problems, but I find the pistol to be much more concealable without them, so I don't use them.

jocko
03-21-2011, 11:41 PM
at the worst u will only be out the bucks you paid for the externsions. If u desire them go for it. If u don't like um or they act up on your gun, pitch um and move on.

Internet Blohard
03-22-2011, 09:00 PM
I have both the P380 and the PM9. Both work fine.

I bought the 380 to replace my Baby Browning...which I carried if and only if a larger piece was just not practical for the situation or the clothing. Until quite recently, you couldn't get micro small autos (except the Seecamp) in a decent caliber that also shot well.

I would likely first sell the PM9 over the P380 if I had to. I am grateful that I don't have to, because I really dig both guns.

I don't know that anyone makes a small, light polymer 380 as well as Kahr does, and until someone does, the 380 is a necessary gun for me to have.