PDA

View Full Version : Big mistake avoided - Research pays off

TheTman
03-13-2011, 04:43 PM
I was browsing Bud's and found a Taurus PT145 Millennium Pro 10+1 shot .45 with a 3.25" barrel, 1.25" wide at the grip, 5'1" tall, 6.1" long, in DuoTone for $344. The gun was listed as DA/SA so I figured it would be something like my Beretta DA/SA guns, where applying the safety drops the hammer and your first shot is DA and follow ups are SA. But after going down to Gander Mountain and dry firing it, and doing some research on the internet to confirm my thoughts, I found out the gun DOES NOT drop the striker when the safety is applied, and leaves you carrying cocked and locked in single action mode. I guess the DA mode refers to the ablility to reset the striker and try firing a dud round again with a pull of the trigger. If I wanted to go cocked and locked, I'd go with a 1911 compact model from a company that I'm more comfortable with. Not to beat up on Taurus, I've had great luck with their revolvers, just not so comfortable with their semi-autos. The gun had some features I liked, the 10 round mag, the DuoTone finish, which appears to be a darkened but not black stainless steel slide (still trying to get the info on that), and the accessory rail that I was going to put a compact laser sight on. I was all set to to take a chance on the Taurus, until I found out about the single action carry mode. It also had the key lock to make it unfireable, which I'm not particularly fond of and a fairly large loaded chamber indicator sticking out of the side that I didn't like. I assume all guns are loaded and ready to fire, and don't really want anything more obtrusive than the extracter on the Kahr sticking out a hair when a round is chambered.
That was the only gun that came close to enticing me away from a CW45 in the under $500 price range. Thought maybe I could save a about $65, and get a gun with some features Kahr doesn't offer, but that I just dont want a single action carry piece. It wasn't a scary light SA trigger pull or anything, actually a little on the heavy side, maybe 6-8 pounds if I had to guess. I could live with it if I had too, but I like the Kahr trigger so much better.
I do wish Kahr would offer a .45 with an accessory rail. Not a big fan of the Crimson Trace laser set up. I've tried it on some guns, and it works great, but it reduces the holster selection a lot, and just seems bulky, and uglies up the gun a lot IMO. Of course the rail kind of uglies up the gun a little on it's own, and accesories for it would also limit the selection of holsters. The laser isn't a must have, but I thought it would be a nice addition.
Anyway I was almost lured in by a shiny new trinket, but research and experience with my CW40 has me back on track for the CW45.

jlottmc
03-13-2011, 04:56 PM
My wife has a 24/7c and it does de-****, my 24/7 does not, but the safety is very positive, and the trigger pull is long enough initially that it has not been a problem. The millennium series are reported to be hit or miss (mostly miss), but the 24/7's are spot on. I've used mine to qualify for two different CHL's, and found them to be a bit on the heavy side, but accurate and reliable as the day is long. I currently own three Taurus pistols, and trust my life and the lives of my family to them. I have also had zero malfunctions, hiccups or anything else with mine. Boring and reliable, go bang every time, and accurate or more so than many others. I'll buy another Taurus, and in fact am looking to acquire a 740 slim. YMMV

jocko
03-13-2011, 05:50 PM
a rail on a P45 would be neet. One is gonna holster carry it anyway, so pass on the PM models..

Allblackedout
03-13-2011, 07:11 PM
What!?!? How can you not like the ctc laser.... To each his own though :D

jocko
03-13-2011, 07:15 PM
ur right but many rail lights have the ultra brite light on them besides just the laser. I find the light very good when taking a leak at 2 a.m in the morning off my back deck!!

O'Dell
03-13-2011, 07:37 PM
My 24/7 Pro c 45 does decock the striker. I'm sure there must be others, but this is the only DA/SA striker fire gun I've seen. I'm not that crazy about the pistol in general, [In fact it's for sale]but I have no problems with the trigger.

TheTman
03-13-2011, 09:22 PM
Jlottmc, glad you've had good luck with your Tauruses. I would try one out if it met my needs. Seems like you either get a good one out of the box, or else it's back to the factory multiple times. Didn't know the Millenium series was as problem plagued as you infer. Good info to know. Thanks.

Jocko, yes, I think I'll probably pass on the PM, too big for my pockets, and If I'm gonna need a holster might as well get somethng with a little more barrrel and bigger mag. Glad you've found such a good use for the flashlight on your rail. Having a "gun" in each hand is a little awkward though isn't it?

Allblackedout, The CTL doesn't look too bad on your CW9. I just like the little rail model ones better. I'm sure you get used to it, but the switch under your middle finger kind of bothers me when I shoot a pistol with one. I like those little rail mounted ones that have switch built in so that as you touch it when putting your trigger finger into the trigger guard it comes on. Just something about them looks better to me.

O'dell, I think the trigger wasn't all that bad on the Taurus I looked at. A little heavy for a single action trigger, but not horrible. If I were going to carry cocked and locked, I'd want a trigger about like that. I was very surprised that the gun didn't decock when you applied the safety, but read many posts that stated it was a strictly cocked and locked SA pistol. There is a lot of confusion over that.
I guess I'd have to shoot one to really be sure, but for now will take their word on it.
I will say in DA mode, it was nowhere near as smooth as my CW40.
The more I think about it, the more I believe the CW45 would be a much better carry piece, hold it's value better and be well worth the $65 price difference. Plus accesories such as mag pouches and holsters are readily available for the CW45, while there was a lot of talk about not being able to find a good fitting holster for the Mill-Pro. The mags were pretty oddly shaped too, and wonder if there is a good mag holder for it.

I think it was one of those impulse things, saw a good looking gun at a good price from a reputable company. Just glad i did some checking and got to handle one before I bought it.