PDA

View Full Version : My p380 Range Report

zeromeow
03-17-2011, 08:08 PM
I don't have much luck with small 380 pistols. I've looked for something less bulky and lighter than my J-Frame for pocket carry and always thought the small 380s were a good substitute. In my experience, however, those guns were unreliable. But I decided to give one last shot with the Kahr p380, since it's suppose to be higher quality and more expensive. I vowed if this gun gave me problems, I'm going to give up on small 380's and stay with my J-frame or figure out something else.

At first, I got quite nervous reading various threads about Kahr p380. It seemed like people were having multiple FTF, FTE, and light striker hit issues. So I went in, expecting the worst.

Before I went to the range, I disassembled and cleaned it thoroughly. I also racked the slide a few hundred times to speed up the break in process.

I shot about 150 rounds. I wasn't trying too hard to hit the target. I just focused on breaking in the gun. In about 150 rounds, I got 1 FTE and a few failure to feeds. The FTE came on the first 6 rounds I fired, so I'm not concerned about that. The FTFs came only when I tried to load the first round. So I'm not too concerned about that either since it looks like it won't happen during a life or death situation. I found that a bit troublesome though. I'm thinking it's because I didn't seat the magazine all the way, or maybe it's the magazine itself. I need to do some more testing.

The slide didn't lock back after the last round. That's because of my grip. I use a thumb forward position and my thumb rests on the slide lock. I tried shooting one handed on my last 6 rounds and the slide did lock back. So it's definitely my grip. I don't really mind this. I just have to change my grip, or hope I don't need to do tactical reloads.

Overall, I'm happy with this gun. The gun is accurate once I got used to the recoil and began to focus on actually hitting the target instead of just shooting it to break it in. I did find the recoil stiff, and my hands started ringing after 150 rounds. But the gun is thin and light, and very easy to carry.

I'll probably shoot another 150 rounds before I deem it ready for regular carry. But overall, I'm happy with this gun.

onegun
03-17-2011, 08:53 PM
It's good to hear a favorable review. As mentioned in other threads that is certainly not my experience with my P380. Kahr got it today so I expect it back before very long and am anxious to give it another try. If it works it should be a great backup - if not - I'm through with .380s. One thing about the J frames is that they usually work. I have a 640-1 and a 340 M&P so one of those is always available. Got my fingers crossed on the P380 tho".

zeromeow
03-20-2011, 08:27 PM
I went back and shot about 50 more rounds of Winchester White Box. Me and my wife shot it. All cycled well. No problems at all. My Kahr seem to love the Winchester White Box, even during my first range trip with the gun. Next up, I'll try some defense ammo.

Jinx
03-22-2011, 05:26 AM
Very nice report! I was very concerned with the recoil of this gun. I used to carry the keltec p32, and that little pistol was kind of a pain to shoot. Granted my keltec cracked its slide (i have no clue how!) and its back at keltec now, but from my memory, this p380 is a softer recoil than that p32, i know that sounds rediculous but seiously, i couldn't shoot 2 mags in that p32 without my trigger finger going numb, and i have no problems at all with the p380, though i have yet to put a full 150 rounds through it in one trip. So i may not be shooting it enough, but it still beats the keltec hands down!

Great report again!

jocko
03-22-2011, 06:21 AM
not really the design of the P380 over the kel tec is totally different. The bore axis of your kahr is lower and there fore felt recoil is farless. Your not dreaming, it is softer to shoot thant he P32 kt. I ownedone of the P32 kt. (sent it back 5 times) Two broekn barrel lugs in a row..