PDA

View Full Version : SP 101's - Who's got em

MW surveyor
03-18-2011, 10:01 AM
Just wondering about this. I know that there are a number of you guys out there that have an SP 101 (Mr. surveyor, t conroy, me, etc.).

I got a good used 3" last year for a darn good price (250). For some strange reason, I always wanted one but just never got around to it. Saw mine in the evil pawn shop (bought about 5 guns from these guys new and old) and it just said buy me, buy me, you won't be sorry. It was right. I haven't been sorry at all about this purchase. Love shooting it and it is accurate as all get out. However, since it shot soooo good, had to get into reloading to keep it well fed!

I know that this is just not an "old dude" gun as a number of the younger members have them.

So...Who else has an SP101?

kahrking
03-18-2011, 10:04 AM
Love mine, its quite simple. SS 2" 357mag.

Bawanna
03-18-2011, 10:08 AM
I have the 22 version, planned to get the 357 as a running mate someday. I put CT grips on it and use it for training. It's actually the wifes gun but she lets me hold it, and clean it. She doesn't carry and rarely shoots it but it's still hers.

Lobo_79
03-18-2011, 11:06 AM
Just wondering about this. I know that there are a number of you guys out there that have an SP 101 (Mr. surveyor, t conroy, me, etc.).

I got a good used 3" last year for a darn good price (250).

So...Who else has an SP101?

Most of the time I carry my PM9 but occasionally I carry my SP101. Darn accurate gun.
http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz154/Lobo_79/Ruger_SP101/L1000887.jpg

Fedor
03-18-2011, 11:09 AM
I plan on buying one in the near future. ( 2.25" .357 )

500KV
03-18-2011, 11:13 AM
Built like a tank aren't they?
I have a 5720 DAO 2.25" that I carry once a week (Sunday morning) in an ankle holster.

MW surveyor
03-18-2011, 11:16 AM
Bawanna - If you ever want to sell your wife's 22 SP101, let me know! Those are hard to find and when you do, they are darned expensive (at least for me).

Lobo - nice grip inserts, mine have zebra woods. Made them myself and are just a tad thicker than the originals. Seems to sit better in my hand being slightly thicker.

Fedor - you will love it.

kahrking - yea, point pull trigger, goes bang, and hits what you are aiming at.

They are heavy for their size in the new world of light weight guns.

Gotta go out to the range and shoot. Be back later!

cgarcop
03-18-2011, 11:18 AM
I have the spurless .38 version. Ruger calls it the SPNY

Bawanna
03-18-2011, 11:23 AM
Looks like some spalted maple on Mr. Lobo's gun. Like the grip escutions too, look a little more better than what I usually find.

I thought the 22 would be perfect for the wife to practice on and make an excellent running mate for a 357 some day. I was shocked when I called my local shop to see if they could get me one. Wife saw my bosses at the time and decided she wanted one. They had it in stock and I had it within a couple hours. Didn't abuse me at all on price either.

If she goes on the block I'll let you know. I'm to the point where if I want something new, something has to go. Seems like we should become financially more sound as we grow up but doesn't seem to work like that for me.

Lobo_79
03-18-2011, 11:23 AM
Built like a tank aren't they?
I have a 5720 DAO 2.25" that I carry once a week (Sunday morning) in an ankle holster.

I've dumped all of my Air Weight S&W J-Frames in favor of the SP101. On my first range visit I hit 3 bowling pins at 50 yards with the first 5 rounds. I didn't expect to hit any. Admittedly I was using .38 Spcl ammo but I was amazed at how well I shot that gun.

On the physical construction, I probably won't live long enough to wear it out...LOL.

Just One Shot
03-18-2011, 11:39 AM
Ooo, Ooo, I have one err, I mean my wife has one. It's a 2 1/4" .357 mag.
Here's a pic after some time with the Mother's Mag Polish and a set of Tim's inserts.

(The pics don't do it justice but it's the only camera I had at the moment.)

http://i52.tinypic.com/rm0cnn.jpg

http://i54.tinypic.com/w17eo3.jpg

RonC
03-18-2011, 12:14 PM
I have one as well. It is heavier than my Kahr MK9, and the MK9 is a pretty dense piece of metal (for a small pistol, that is).

Because of its weight, I only carry it when I am hiking in the Rocky Mountains near home. Let's call it my "cougar gun." Attack by a mountain lion is unlikely, but I feel MUCH more comfortable having the SP101 stoked with 357.

I had the Crimson Trace grips on it at one time, but felt that I needed a softer, shock absorbing grip to shoot 357 on a regular basis. Now, with Hogue grips, I can shoot more than 5 rounds without mumbling nasty things under my breath.:yell:

Ron

Lobo_79
03-18-2011, 12:30 PM
I have one as well. It is heavier than my Kahr MK9, and the MK9 is a pretty dense piece of metal (for a small pistol, that is)...

As a personal preference I recently ( and selectively) weeded out all of my Polymer framed handguns except for my PM9. Functionally they're okay I just prefer all steel or military grade alloy. So my three primary carry guns are a PM9, the SP101, and the CZ75 P01. Among these three I'd be hard pressed to pick a favorite.

Eventually I'll get the SP101 in the .327 Magnum if for no other reason than it adds a sixth round to the wheel.

RonC
03-18-2011, 12:49 PM
Although the MK9 is heavier than the PM9, it shoots (for me) better than any gun that size has a right to. It does feel like a little chunk of lead in my pocket (OK, a little hyperbole and exaggeration is alright, sometimes). Frankly, I really like the MK9 even if it is heavier than my P45.

I worry that if I leave the MK9 in my pocket, my pants will drag down and I will look like a gang-banger.:o:D. I do carry it in a Com-Tac tuckable Minotaur holster and it doen't feel massive there. It only is about 22 or 23 ounces unloaded, but that is high compared to the PM9 and common 380 pistols.

Ron

Lobo_79
03-18-2011, 01:40 PM
..I worry that if I leave the MK9 in my pocket, my pants will drag down and I will look like a gang-banger.:o:D. I do carry it in a Com-Tac tuckable Minotaur holster and it doen't feel massive there. It only is about 22 or 23 ounces unloaded, but that is high compared to the PM9 and common 380 pistols.

Ron

FYI: I just bought one of these for my PM9 and Ruger SP101 (3.16"). It really supports the heavier SP101 but it does require a little practice getting used to it.
http://www.kangaroocarry.com/air-marshal-am-holster

CJB
03-18-2011, 02:00 PM
Mine is from the first production run - olive green hard polymer grip inserts! Its seen much use, and also was my standard "training revolver" for 10 years, getting dry fired at least a couple of hundred times a week! Last month, I took it out and cleaned it. I noticed that there was actually some pitting starting to form on it. Never had a Ruger stainless gun pit before. It had been in storage for nearly a decade, so... I s'pose things can happen. Just one little rough stainless spot. Some day, before I die, I'll polish it out. This one's a 3" .38, before the days of .357 SP-101's. Its a fun gun to shoot standard .38 lead bullets with.

mr surveyor
03-18-2011, 02:33 PM
yep, mine was built in 1995 and bought in new, unfired condition last year from a "collector" for $425. I carry a revolver every day "in the field" (which reminds me, it's time to put the snake shot back in the carry ammo), and have gone through 3-4 blued .38 spl and .357 mag models and S&W 637 in the last several years. The blued models just required too much care and attention due to the conditions I have to work in, and the .38 airweight just was substantial enough for the kind of boogers I tend to run into occassionally. The 3" SP101 .357 mag has proven to be an excellent belt carry, and requires very little in the line of daily care.

The Sp101 IS the world's "best little big gun"!

surv

Willieboy
03-18-2011, 03:26 PM
I do, I do:

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g21/WhiteWillie/Badger1.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g21/WhiteWillie/Ruger-Hogue1.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g21/WhiteWillie/SP4.jpg

Double action only conversion done by Actions by T.

Bawanna
03-18-2011, 03:39 PM
Love the cylinder jeweling and those grips knock my socks off. Awesome.

MW surveyor
03-18-2011, 04:27 PM
Bawanna - Keep me in mind if your wife ever wants to let go of that 22 SP101. They don't make them any more so as I said before, they are hard to find.

Bill - Who are the black/silver grips from? And most importantly, how do they feel? Does your middle finger get jammed against the trigger guard when shooting 357's?

LOL on dragging your pants down. If I don't really cinch up my belt, have to keep hitchin up my pants. May have to go with suspenders for the SP 101.

Does that Kangaroo carry system really work? And most importantly, what size fits both the CW9 and the SP 101?

onegun
03-18-2011, 05:52 PM
FYI: I just bought one of these for my PM9 and Ruger SP101 (3.16"). It really supports the heavier SP101 but it does require a little practice getting used to it.

The Kangaroo is my answer to pocket carry. Since retiring a few years ago the only time I have a tie on is at funerals (sadly, more and more lately) so the holster works well for me. I can actually draw faster with it than I could get my J frame or PM9 out of a pocket. Not only that, it is one of the most comfortable holsters I have ever worn. It's a daily wear for either my BUG or smaller primary. I wear mine over a cotton tee shirt or A shirt so it's not directly on my body. I think you would need two or three if you had to rotate them to the laundry.

..... May have to go with suspenders for the SP 101.

Does that Kangaroo carry system really work? And most importantly, what size fits both the CW9 and the SP 101?

Really works for me. I have the standard size and it carries my Kahr K9 perfectly, as well as a S&W 640-1 and 340 M&P. I can almost get my 396 Night Guard and SIG P229 in it so I imagine the Air Marshall would work for them. I carry them IWB so haven't bothered to get a larger Kangaroo. They are so inexpensive and comfortable everyone should have one. And none of my guns print in it although a really large handgun would probably print and not be as comfortable.

About suspenders...I had back surgery last year and my Doctor told me to wear suspenders during the rehab stage. He said nothing is as bad on your back and hips as a lot of weight on your belt. I ordered some from Perry and was amazed at how it helps my back. As long as your shirt isn't tucked you can wear them and nobody knows (again, over the T-shirt) It actually makes carrying my favorite full size SIG P220 easy.

But we were talking about the Ruger. I would love to have one. I have really liked the ones I have shot. But, I gotta dance with the one that brought me and there is just too much duplication between an SP101 and my old and trusty 640-1. Hmmm...Maybe a .327.

I'm going fishing at a friends really snaky pond tomorrow and I'll take my only Ruger loaded with snake shot. A 4" .45 Colt.

mr surveyor
03-18-2011, 07:29 PM
onegun...

are the Perry suspenders the ones with the "J" hooks that actually support by hooking under the belt? I saw some suspenders advertised several years ago with that design, and have not found them anywhere. That's the ones I need. I carry a lot of stuff on my belt quite often, including the SP101 (which is light compared to the other stuff), and with the family "no butt" condition I have nothing to hold my pants up except for wearing tight fittin' (and studly:D) jeans.

surv

RonC
03-18-2011, 07:53 PM

Lobo_79,

I have seen those under-shirt, around the chest holsters and find them very interesting. Thank you for adding the Air Marshall site in your post.

The one like that I saw was made of a soft cotton that was not irritating. Is the Air Marshall comfortable and soft like that? I wore a belly band once while hiking in the mountains and it irritated the heck out of my skin. So, comfort is a concern for me. Maybe I am just getting wimpy as I get into my mid-60s (but I feel like I am 35 - the mirror doesn't agree).

Thanks,
Ron

onegun
03-18-2011, 08:05 PM
Surv -

Yep. look here http://www.perrysuspenders.com/persus.html

RonC -

Kangaroo is soft cotton, very comfortable all day long.

RonC
03-18-2011, 08:34 PM
Thanks, onegun!

Willieboy
03-18-2011, 08:42 PM
Bawanna, the jeweling was free from Teddy Jacobson, that is, he threw it in because i was a repeat customer and was having quite a bit of work done. I think the jeweling was a new service he was offering and wanted to practice on my gun. It came out very nice. When I'm strolling in New Orleans, and the girls see the jeweling, they think I'm a pi*p.

Bawanna and Surv, the grips are from Jim Badger, http://www.badgercustomgrips.com/. They are a comfortable grip and do help save that middle finger from getting banged around. The Hogues are a comfortable shooting grip too, but are harder to conceal.

mr surveyor
03-18-2011, 09:24 PM
Surv -

Yep. look here http://www.perrysuspenders.com/persus.html

RonC -

Kangaroo is soft cotton, very comfortable all day long.

I looked, I ordered, I wait!

Thank You Onegun.

Since my two favorite colors are clear and camo, guess which I ordered:D

boykinguy
03-19-2011, 03:13 AM
Have a 2.25 spurless and wife has a 3" version both in .357. I love my PM9 but you just cant beat a good wheel gun.

Lobo_79
03-19-2011, 08:03 AM
...Does that Kangaroo carry system really work? And most importantly, what size fits both the CW9 and the SP 101?

The Air Marshall is a little big for the PM9 but it does work nicely for my 3.16" SP101 and my CZ75P01. Like any other form of concealed carry system you need to plan for it. But the short answer is that it does work and I like mine.

gunmut
03-19-2011, 08:07 AM
I have a 3" 357 and a 4" .22. Great guns, simple and strong like a hammer.

RonC
03-19-2011, 08:47 AM
My Air Marshall is on order.

Thanks to you all.

Ron

MW surveyor
03-19-2011, 08:53 AM
I read something like this about the SP 101 (not quite a quote)

"Strong like Russian woman, beautiful like Russian tractor"

Thanks Lobo 79.

mr. surv - clear is a color?

Bill - I thought that they were Badgers. Had a brain fart when I asked. I have a set of Butler Creek boot grips on mine right now. Definitely more rounded than the stock grips and not bad shooting it with +P 38s but still jamb my middle finger when shooting magnums. So for now, I've got three sets of grips for the thing, originals, the full Hogue and the Butler Creeks. +3 different insets for the original grips.

jlottmc
03-19-2011, 03:36 PM
I have a GP-100 the big brother to the SP-101. That is probably going to be the next revolver I purchase. I may end up getting one for the wife too, or an LCR at any rate, it will be chambered in .357. I like round guns too, and Ruger has some good uns.

mr surveyor
03-19-2011, 04:34 PM
If I could find, or afford the ammunition, my next SP101 would be in .327 mag. If I decide to set up for reloading that flavor, I may just have to track one down. I would also like to have one chambered for 9mm with moon clips and certainly one of the rare .22 cal models. Heck, after finally discovering the best little big gun ever designed last year (the SP101 of course) I was finally forced into taking up reloading .357 mag (on a very small scale).

My SP101 and CW9 have caused all my other former carry guns to disappear into the dark recesses of a safe that rarely gets opened.

Anyone have the SP101 in .327 mag?

HadEmAll
03-19-2011, 05:04 PM
I have a 3" .357 SP101 with the spurless hammer. I actually traded hammers between it the 2.25" SP101 I owned before giving it to my son. My son doesn't carry concealed yet, and the spur doesn't bother him.

I shoot nothing but Remington and Speer 125 grain JHPs through them, and they hold up better than the competition. I know this for a fact.

I love the rugged little SP101.

Bawanna
03-19-2011, 05:06 PM
If I could find, or afford the ammunition, my next SP101 would be in .327 mag. If I decide to set up for reloading that flavor, I may just have to track one down. I would also like to have one chambered for 9mm with moon clips and certainly one of the rare .22 cal models. Heck, after finally discovering the best little big gun ever designed last year (the SP101 of course) I was finally forced into taking up reloading .357 mag (on a very small scale).

My SP101 and CW9 have caused all my other former carry guns to disappear into the dark recesses of a safe that rarely gets opened.

Anyone have the SP101 in .327 mag?

Heck I feel like a winner. I have one of the rare 22 models. Never give it much thought. Kind of puffs me up knowing thats its desireable and rare.

cw9newbie
03-19-2011, 06:17 PM
I have the 3.06" in .357 with the hogue grips. Love it, I also put on the 10# wolff trigger return spring and added a meprolight night sight. I'm done tinkering with it for now but the badger grips sure do look good

Willieboy
03-19-2011, 06:36 PM
Welcome CW9newbie.