PDA

View Full Version : Anybody carry a CW9 OWB?

gundam83
03-19-2011, 01:44 AM
I used to have a ruger LCP and it's not that much thinner than the CW9 and I was able to conceal carry it in an OWB holster even with just a t-shirt on. Before I drop the $$$ on a Comptac OWB holster, can anyone tell me if you've had success with OWB carrying the CW9? Some pics would be extra helpful.

eaglefrq
03-19-2011, 02:10 AM
I picked up a OWB at a gun show and don't have any problems concealing with a T-shirt.

http://www.jbpholsters.com/servlet/the-72/LEATHER-PANCAKE-GUN-HOLSTER/Detail

The holster for a 3" 1911 works perfectly for the CW9.

I can't provide any pics right now because the wife is out of town with the camera. I will try and get some ********* pics later today and post up.

ripley16
03-19-2011, 06:42 AM
Not a CW but a P9, in a Mitch Rosen Premier. Galco Matrix should work well too. I'm not too sure a tee-shirt covers a OWB CCW all that well though. It would have to be oversized, IMHO.

rkirk
03-19-2011, 07:38 AM
I have a CW9 and two Comp-Tac holsters. A paddle and a CTAC IWB. The paddle is great under a jacket or at the range, but shows a bulge with a t-shirt or a shirt worn out. The CTAC makes the gun disappear, but is IWB and I can only wear it for 1 or 2 hours before it becomes very uncomfortable! The best OWB for carry under an untucked shirt or t-shirt is a pancake holster.

-- Richard

cav_scout_tj
03-19-2011, 09:27 PM
I use a Galco Matrix M7X with CW9 for OWB daily carry. I did cut down the grip of the CW9 to PM9/Covert size which helps a lot. That hook on the mag base is no help either, replace or sand that down too.

I am a tall guy, so I need a long enough shirt, then it disappears. And I forget its there. Its held tight to the body, and easy off and on. Jeans or shorts, good belt or mediocre it works great.

Stock photo:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31gtk0hjKbL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
I'll try to get a better pic with the kahr.

kahrking
03-19-2011, 09:59 PM
I have a Jason Winnie thumb break for my P40. Im looking at the pancakes he makes also. Here is a link with pics.

http://www.jasonwinnie.com/Blk_J111_pic.html

http://www.jasonwinnie.com/Blk_J131_pic.html

I have about 6 of his holsters and havent found anything better, IMO.

ZenthaneX
03-19-2011, 11:57 PM
I OWB my CW9 but not concealed so I'm sure I can't be all that helpful.

jfrey
03-20-2011, 01:51 PM
I've never carried my CW9 in any way but OWB in a Tagua quickslide. T-shirt covers it and you never notice it. I've even asked friends to point out my gun and they couldn't see it. Works great.

mr surveyor
03-20-2011, 04:50 PM
I occassionally carry my CW9 in a Bianchi OWB holster that was made for the PM9. It's really not well suited as the CW9 barrel protrudes through the mouth of the holster and the front sight will snag on the leather. Also, I really don't like the rubber "O" ring retention as it doesn't fit the CW9's length well. Now, with the CM9 on the horizon, the Bianchi may become useful.

Actually, I prefer IWB anyway as I find the slight discomfort to be "comforting". I can feel it withouth having to feel for it;)

surv

PaiN
03-20-2011, 05:10 PM
I picked up a Don Hume OtW pancake in a local trade, so I can have that as an option to my normal AItW carry. It is a very nice holster but I tried OtW concealed carry with my K9....Wow, all I can say is I'm not comfortable at all carrying like that in public(and I had a big sweatshirt on). OtW is staying an "option" for ShtF and maybe hiking....

GunByte
06-08-2011, 01:31 PM
I have a CW9 and two Comp-Tac holsters. A paddle and a CTAC IWB. The paddle is great under a jacket or at the range, but shows a bulge with a t-shirt or a shirt worn out. The CTAC makes the gun disappear, but is IWB and I can only wear it for 1 or 2 hours before it becomes very uncomfortable! The best OWB for carry under an untucked shirt or t-shirt is a pancake holster.

-- Richard

Amen. I switched to OWB carry with pancake holsters for both my PM9 and P40 and could not be happier. IWB became painful after an hour or two but with OWB I have carried for as long as 6 hours with no discomfort at all. The guns are held against my body at about 4:00 and easily disappear under my shirts. Even if I wear one of those shirts that shrink as we get older, the shape of the pancake holster makes for a nice and smooth rounded slight bulge that is much less than my cell phone. Printing is not a crime and no one ever notices it so I no longer sweat it.

wdg
06-08-2011, 06:50 PM
I use a Galco Speed Paddle. It is made to be used with a Crimson Trace Laserguard LG-437. Can be used with or without the LG-437. I have Laser on order but have been carrying for 3 weeks with this holster works great. Highly recommend. (cost: $70 shipped to your door). Get holster now and laser later ...

DBP9
06-08-2011, 07:43 PM
I usually carry my P9 IWB, but picked up a Kydex OWB Pancake style from a guy on Glocktalk for range work, and FL winter weather when I'm wearing more than just a T-Shirt. I have found that it actually works pretty well w/light cover, and have found myself wearing it around more than I initially planned. The gun's actually sagging a bit because I've lost some weight and need to get a new belt that I can tighten a bit more.

http://glocktalk.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=491&title=custom-glock-and-other-holsters&cat=8

Here's some quick pics I just had my wife snap:

Diocoles
06-09-2011, 10:40 AM
I have a leather and nylon slider holster that I use OWB. It hides nicely under my tshirts or work shirts.
I can use it with my velcro belt and can wear it that way with literally anything.
I use the nylon one at home and with sweats and the leather for when I go "places"...
I have no issues and it doesn't fall out and is much faster to access.
Fits well regardless of the loops on jeans/dress slacks.
I just slide it between the belt and pants. The belt helps hold the weapon in tight against the body, and is easy to adjust or get to.
Some come with that little metal clip so you can use it IWB as well if you want/need to.
Just the cheap $20 sliders. Works great for all my guns from full size double stacks to the little CW9. Just small or large slider depends on the weapon.
The nylon ones I've had last about 5 years before wearing out to the point I need to replace them. $20 - that's a deal.
Just about everyone carries a variation of them..
I like the NRA ones, but they cost extra just for the NRA logo... silly.
But that's the style of slider I like.

Can't link to good site for them from work or upload pics. Sorry about that.
NRAstrore.com has them I'm sure.

Bob G
06-09-2011, 11:06 AM
What about with a laserguard..

wdg
06-09-2011, 05:45 PM
Bob G. Haven't received Laserguard Laser yet ...due Saturday. Have been carrying my CW9 or sons in this holster for couple weeks works well. Purchased holster knowing I would be getting Laserguard. will report back after installing laserguard.

carnesee
06-10-2011, 09:09 PM
The DeSantis Mini Slide rides high and tight. Easily covers summer shirts. Check out photo at OpticsPlanet...$45.89 and free S & H.

wdg
06-11-2011, 06:57 AM
Laserguard arrived ...and now installed, holster works great see pics

Squib
06-12-2011, 10:26 AM
I use a Hume 720 OT (open top) for my CW9. Very comfortable and it features a body shield. That is the back of the holster that prevents the pistol from touching your skin. Perfect when it is too hot to wear an undershirt.

slowpoke
06-12-2011, 10:41 AM
Until recently I was carrying a CW40 OWB in a belt slide. The muzzle would hang down about an inch below my belt which was good e-nuff for my t-shirt to hide.
Much cooler and less sweat than with an IWB.
It's guna turn out to be what ever works best for you and what clothing you will wear, and where you will be going for the day.
With so many variables, it's hard for "me" to stay on one side of the IWB/OWB fence. .. ;)