PDA

View Full Version : pm45

jimbog
03-19-2011, 02:17 PM
hi all,640 reload rounds through my new gun &no glitches.im a happy camper.my gun is shooting tighter groups & i'm loving it.i'm getting use to the trigger.no signs of any wear internally.i pocket carry all the time,no printing in my jeans.great little gun,be talking to youse guys,on sight alot reading what all are saying.

AFVet
03-19-2011, 02:21 PM
Welcome aboard...That PM45 sounds like a sweet little pocket gun.

Bill K
03-19-2011, 02:23 PM
That's cool!

Two things surprise me about your post... You had no qualms about doing a break-in with non-factory ammo? Are you a really big guy which allows you to pocket carry a PM45?

What pocket holster are you using for your PM45 pocket carry?

Thanks,
Bill K.

jimbog
03-19-2011, 02:32 PM
they don't call me big jim for nothing.just fooling i'm 5ft.6"&160lbs. but worked out alot of years.i carry in a galco pocket holster,also have a remora pocket/iwb.before going to range first time i worked slide about 1000 times,thought i found a new way to workout.

Izzy360
03-19-2011, 02:38 PM
I also worked the slide about 1000 times before I broke her in but I will never run reloads. If I'm correct the manual says not to run reloads. I understand alot of people say their fine but I've had a bad expierience with some lead dirty crappy stuff I got a good deal on. How is the recoil on that 45? Did you have any issues breaking he in with the reloads? Welcome to the forum glad to have you.

jimbog
03-19-2011, 03:00 PM
hey izzy,i don't shoot lead bullets,i reload hornady230gr fmjfp@1.200 oal with 4.8gr.700x powder & starline brass with either wlp or fed lp primers.recoil same as shooting 230 federal hs bullets.i'm not sensitive to recoil,i hunt with a s&w 460mag,that i also reload for.

mr surveyor
03-19-2011, 03:20 PM
I agree with jimbog on the reload thing.... there's reloads, then there's Reloads (handloads). I stopped shooting "reloads" from outside sources a long time ago when I got rid of all my "junkers". I don't trust anyone else's reloads, particularly those you occassionally see in ziplock bags at the "pawn and gun shop". I do however (as of the last few months) reload for my CW9 and Ruger SP101. I also like the Hornady projectiles, especially the XTP's, although I wish they were a bit more "affordable".

Congrats on finding a great carry gun, jimbog.

surv

CJB
03-19-2011, 03:40 PM
Reloads vs handloads.

Reloads are generally concocted to be as inexpensive (cheep) as humanly possible and still retain some bare minimum standard of functioning.

Handloads, are generally crafted in accordance to refined and re-refined recipes, who's attributes are superior function, superior accuracy, or both.

~~~~

The more I consider it, racking the slide about 1000 times, as part of the break in, is a good thing. Gotta remember: They dont make that recoil spring how they want it to be, but make it so that it becomes how they want it to be.

Glad to hear ya got good functioning

jimbog
03-19-2011, 05:00 PM
hi cjb,i used wrong terminology,i make precision handloads.been reloading my ammo over 30 yrs.

CJB
03-19-2011, 07:04 PM
I meant no offense or jab... I been "reloa..er.. handloading" since the late 70's. Made some real crap ammo, made some real good stuff. Most of it was a combination of function and economics. Then again, I also worked designing production equipment for a commercial reloader... and those my friends... were bargain basement, cast range lead, and anything goes. Not clean, not accurate. Their claim to fame was cheep and almost always went bang. Almost always. I will say my designs did improve quality - especially on the 9mm's, but most of what I did was production automation.

With all the floo-flah about lead in polygonal barrels, ya gotta realize there are polygonal barrels, and then again, polygonal barrels. I was taken by surprise a little, when looking at the Kahr barrel's innards. Not like HK or Glock polygonal rifling at all. Kahr is using what I'd call "reverse Metford" rifling pattern. Not sure if Harry Pope would approve of the pattern, but other than lead buildup, no harm would be done. If you like to shoot lead for economy, just pop a one or two jacketed rounds every couple of clips. That will pretty much keep build up out of there (or it does on Glocks...)

jocko
03-19-2011, 07:32 PM
considering those barrels are rifled by Lothar, I would consider them some of the finest barrels in the world. Kahr does not make or rifle their barrels.