PDA

View Full Version : Not 100% Sure If I Can Legally Carry

Old Salt
03-25-2011, 02:00 AM
My wife and I just recently moved from South Carolina back to our home town in Northwestern Pennsylvania. While living in SC I went through the eight hour training course and received my SC Concealed Carry Permit. During the five years we lived in SC we would visit Pennsylvania about once or twice a year. When we would drive to Pennsylvania my South Carolina Carry Permit would legally cover me through all the state’s except Pennsylvania. So to take care of that I applied and received a New Hampshire non-resident permit. Now for my question, My wife and I are now permanent residents of Pennsylvania and I just applied for my License To Carry Firearms, they call it LTCF. I was told it would take 2-3 weeks before I receive my LTCF. After carrying for five years while living in SC I feel naked and vulnerable without my CW40 on my hip. I know my New Hampshire non resident covered me when visiting PA but now that I’m a resident of PA can I legally carry a firearm with my NH permit until I get my Pennsylvania LTCF? :confused:

mrsig239
03-25-2011, 03:13 AM
I would call and ask the people you applied too. You dont want to forfeit your right to carry by listening to internet guessing.

Old Salt
03-25-2011, 03:33 AM
I would call and ask the people you applied too. You dont want to forfeit your right to carry by listening to internet guessing.

Good point, Thank you

bonjorno2
03-25-2011, 05:30 AM
Agreed ^^^

Dietrich
03-25-2011, 05:36 AM
Absolutely.Go directly to the horse`s mouth on this one.Better safe than sorry.

WMD
03-25-2011, 05:40 AM
Don't you have to live in a state for something like 6 months before you can be legally called a resident? Certainly you have a sort of grace period to get your paperwork transferred over from one state to another. This includes other items besides your LTCF. You need to get your drivers liscense and vehicle registrations transfered to the new state as well. I think for the 2 month period you are talking about, you are covered with the NH permit unless you have already been in the new state over 6 months. ;)

BEARDOG
03-25-2011, 05:48 AM
Agree with above... BUT You may also want to post this question Here...http://forum.pafoa.org/
It is a great Gun Forum for PA residents.

deadhead1971
03-25-2011, 06:21 AM
Old Salt- Thank you for your service to this country.

Here is a resource:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/ (click on the states you want to check)

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/pennsylvania.pdf

Bawanna
03-25-2011, 09:26 AM
Put me on the most wanted list but I wouldn't give it a thought. I'd be carrying. I agree with WMD on the grace period. Best to ask the horse either end but regardless of the answer the gun would still be riding with me.

My actions are always conducted on a closed course by untrained, undiciplined/unwashed posers. Don't try this at home.

OldLincoln
03-25-2011, 09:50 AM
Hell Bawanna, you'd be carrying if it were posted and fenced with guards posted. If you bust into the fair wheeling your tank into the crowds carrying your 45 with that "make my day" grin on your face, no stinkin law is gonna stop ya!!

Bawanna
03-25-2011, 10:11 AM
Hell Bawanna, you'd be carrying if it were posted and fenced with guards posted. If you bust into the fair wheeling your tank into the crowds carrying your 45 with that "make my day" grin on your face, no stinkin law is gonna stop ya!!

So ya think I'm a rabble rouser? Reminds me I gotta get my tank in for an oil change. Tank maintenance, it never ends...........

Bill K
03-25-2011, 10:52 AM
Frank,

Just carry it and if you get caught you can be a test case for "Constitutional Carry". :)

Joking aside, I have family near Mansfield, PA and hunting property (actually my brothers own the property) in Fulton County, PA so also wanted/needed to carry in PA. My CT and my FL permits were not recognized but I was able get a PA permit through one of the County Sheriffs.

Semper Fi,
Bill K.

PS. USMC 1962-1966

Old Salt
03-25-2011, 05:15 PM
Frank,

Just carry it and if you get caught you can be a test case for "Constitutional Carry". :)

Joking aside, I have family near Mansfield, PA and hunting property (actually my brothers own the property) in Fulton County, PA so also wanted/needed to carry in PA. My CT and my FL permits were not recognized but I was able get a PA permit through one of the County Sheriffs.

Semper Fi,
Bill K.

PS. USMC 1962-1966

Thank you
Semper Fi,

USMC 1963-1967

ltxi
03-25-2011, 07:42 PM
My wife and I just recently moved from South Carolina back to our home town in Northwestern Pennsylvania. While living in SC I went through the eight hour training course and received my SC Concealed Carry Permit. During the five years we lived in SC we would visit Pennsylvania about once or twice a year. When we would drive to Pennsylvania my South Carolina Carry Permit would legally cover me through all the state’s except Pennsylvania. So to take care of that I applied and received a New Hampshire non-resident permit. Now for my question, My wife and I are now permanent residents of Pennsylvania and I just applied for my License To Carry Firearms, they call it LTCF. I was told it would take 2-3 weeks before I receive my LTCF. After carrying for five years while living in SC I feel naked and vulnerable without my CW40 on my hip. I know my New Hampshire non resident covered me when visiting PA but now that I’m a resident of PA can I legally carry a firearm with my NH permit until I get my Pennsylvania LTCF? :confused:

Just out of curiosity, why didn't you apply for a non-resident PA permit when you lived in SC? I don't think they require you live in a reciprocity state, only that you have a permit in your home/resident state.

I live in Colorado but I'm a Pennsylvania native, visit often, and sometimes exchange arms with family there. This drove me to really familiarize myself with their firearms law. A shall issue nonresident permit is something like $15, a one page application form, and a copy of your home state permit. I have one even though CO and PA have reciprocity primarily to gain carry access to Virginia and to simplify the legalities of "loaning" handguns to my sister and brother-in-law without having to go through a state transfer process. Mailed application to permit in hand time was two weeks.

As to your bottom line question, unless you've moved to Philadelphia which you obviously haven't, I wouldn't worry about it.

Old Salt
03-26-2011, 03:29 AM
Just out of curiosity, why didn't you apply for a non-resident PA permit when you lived in SC? I don't think they require you live in a reciprocity state, only that you have a permit in your home/resident state.

I live in Colorado but I'm a Pennsylvania native, visit often, and sometimes exchange arms with family there. This drove me to really familiarize myself with their firearms law. A shall issue nonresident permit is something like $15, a one page application form, and a copy of your home state permit. I have one even though CO and PA have reciprocity primarily to gain carry access to Virginia and to simplify the legalities of "loaning" handguns to my sister and brother-in-law without having to go through a state transfer process. Mailed application to permit in hand time was two weeks.

As to your bottom line question, unless you've moved to Philadelphia which you obviously haven't, I wouldn't worry about it.

Very good question. Short answer, my wife and I had moved to South Carolina and I had a SC Concealed Carry permit. My SC permit was not good in Georgia, because the Georgia border was only about 50 miles from our home I decided to get a NH non resident permit. This way I would be legal in Georgia and Pennsylvania two states my S.C. permit did not honor.

ltxi
03-26-2011, 07:06 AM
Very good question. Short answer, my wife and I had moved to South Carolina and I had a SC Concealed Carry permit. My SC permit was not good in Georgia, because the Georgia border was only about 50 miles from our home I decided to get a NH non resident permit. This way I would be legal in Georgia and Pennsylvania two states my S.C. permit did not honor.

Ah, that makes perfect sense.

AJChenMPH
04-01-2011, 12:04 PM
At the risk of this being called an April Fool's joke... :o

You're good to go with your NH license until your PA LTCF comes through:

Note: It has come to the attention of the Office of Attorney General that there has been confusion over the applicability of Pennsylvania's reciprocal privileges with regard to the residency status of an individual who has been issued a valid license/permit. It is the position of the Office of Attorney General that recognition within Pennsylvania is based on the issuance to an individual of a valid license/permit by the reciprocal contracting state, and not on the license/permit holder's place of residence.Right from the PA AG's site on reciprocity:
http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/crime.aspx?id=184

@Bill K: that means your non-resident FL CCW permit is good in PA.

As was suggested earlier, register on PAFOA if you haven't already -- lots of good PA-specific info there.

Old Salt
04-01-2011, 05:40 PM
No need to worry, just received my Pennsylvania License To Carry Firearms, (LTCF).

Thanks all for your comments.

AJChenMPH
04-01-2011, 09:23 PM
Ah, good to hear. Carry safely and shoot straight!

Rainman48314
04-02-2011, 05:26 PM
Don't you have to live in a state for something like 6 months before you can be legally called a resident? Certainly you have a sort of grace period to get your paperwork transferred over from one state to another. This includes other items besides your LTCF. You need to get your drivers liscense and vehicle registrations transfered to the new state as well. I think for the 2 month period you are talking about, you are covered with the NH permit unless you have already been in the new state over 6 months. ;)
The time requirement varies by State and also depends on the purpose.