PDA

View Full Version : Speer gold dot 9mm 124 +p SB

72guy
03-31-2011, 07:51 AM
Anyone have a good (cheap) source?
Thanks

cgarcop
03-31-2011, 08:38 AM
ammunition to go has the 50 rd box of +P for 24.95 a box and 500 rds for 244.95.

Dont know what the shipping cost is

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/index.php/cName/9mm-hollow-point-ammo

cgarcop
03-31-2011, 08:45 AM
But its not the short barrel version. sorry

jocko
03-31-2011, 10:37 AM
cgarcop, In ur opi9nion do yhou think the short barrel version gold dot is noticeable in any aspect????

72guy
03-31-2011, 12:33 PM
+1
If I can shoot the non SB gold dot for half the price? I think I'll live with the slight performance penalty.

cgarcop
03-31-2011, 12:42 PM
cgarcop, In ur opi9nion do yhou think the short barrel version gold dot is noticeable in any aspect????

Funny you ask. I ordered a box of the Gold Dot short barrel to compare to the Gold Dot 124gr+P ammo that I normally carry. I only fired 7 rounds of the short barrel through my MK9 after emptying a mag of the regular gold dot +P. I couldnt tell the difference but I'm more of a casual shooter and not very disciplined. I'd like to hear what a more experienced shooter has to say about the short barrel gold dots. Personally, I would keep buying the regular gold dot 124gr+P at $25 for a box of 50 rather than 20 rounds of short barrel for $20

jocko
03-31-2011, 12:50 PM
How about a magazine with every other round beinng different. think you would be able to tell any difference. I always felt it was more addvertising hype than actual benefical crapola. I am sure there has to be a slight difference but is there enoughy to make one say I gotta have that short barrel gold dot ammo.. They could tell one that they changed the powder slifghtly and hell we would never know. I really don't hear of alot of people seeking it out as their every day carry round, maybe due to availability to, who knows. Advertisng sells alot of crapola, that is indeed just crapola..I would keep buying the regular gold dot 124gr+P at $25 for a box of 50 rather than 20 rounds of short barrel for $20 . there u go, u just answered my question about the power of advertising.

cgarcop
03-31-2011, 01:00 PM
I could tell the difference between 124gr and 124gr+P but not sure if I could tell the difference between 115gr,124gr and 147 gr. I usually shoot with 124gr Speer Lawman FMJ being that I carry Speer GD 124+P HP.

jocko
03-31-2011, 02:25 PM
I would think u should be able to tell some difference between +P and regular ammo. I shoot some of the wwb 147 fmj along with mostly 115 wwb fmj and honestly Icannot tell the difference, but I shoot the 147 better, and haveno idea why that is...

Ljutic
04-01-2011, 10:34 AM
Wifey gave me enough Midway gift certificates for Valentine's Day so I could buy a CED M2 Chronograph to replace the PACT chrony I sold years ago. Later this spring I will be running some velocity tests on various ammos. On my testing agenda are:

.380 FMJ (23 different varieties currently and hope to have a few more) - Which brand/model is fastest out of my P380 and DB380.

Win .380 FMJ - Is there any velocity difference between 100 count value packs vs. 50 count boxes.

Win Silvertips or Fed Hydrashoks - Which are faster out of a LWS380.

Gold Dot 124 grain, GD 124 grain +P, and GD 124 grain +P SB - Velocity study from my PM9 and STI Spartan 5".

Federal 124 grain HST, Fed 124 grain +p HST - Velocity check from my PM9 and compare with GDs of same weight.

.38 Special +P - Battle of the FBI Loads from Rem, Win, and Fed to see which is fastest from a S&W Bodyguard and Ruger LCR.

.32 ACP - Velocity testings various FMJ and HPs from a Keltec P32 and LWS32.

wyntrout
04-01-2011, 11:37 AM
I'm in no way saying that you're doing anything unnecessary and I like doing my own testing, too, so don't see my post as negative... no way. :)

I look forward to your results and posts. :cheer2:

A lot of this kind of test has been done by Ballistics by the inch, especially in their updates on the .380 late last year. And they did test the Short Barrel Gold Dots, too.

I also look at all of the magazine reviews and tests by the "experts" using popular types of ammo and posting velocities and accuracy. Those are all archived on Kahr.com and very informative.

The Short Barrel version seems to be only available in the 20-round box and costs $1+ a round plus shipping. That's what I got for my PM9, even though I could have gotten the regular +P by the box of 50 for under $30. The idea is to have the powder burn up in the barrel and not just give you a big "Bloom", especially at night, with a 3" or less barrel, and give you the necessary velocity for expanding the bullet as designed. I know, preaching to the choir. :rolleyes:

If you can get the ammo, though, it sounds like a fun project. Good luck. I know you'll enjoy the shooting. Try some video comparisons, especially with "low flash" versus regular ammo... in less than bright daylight, if possible. :)

Wynn :)

wyntrout
04-01-2011, 12:06 PM
My own tests last year with this ammo:

The DT 124-gr was loaded with Gold Dots and is no longer available. I use it in my K9.

I use the GD Short Barrel in my PM9.

Wynn:)

PS: #2 and #4 are of the same photo... the CorBon 125-gr... oops. More GD's below.

72guy
04-01-2011, 12:59 PM
Great info and great pics. Leads me down a path of using WWB and GD 124 +p at the range and using the short barrel ammo for SD.

wyntrout
04-01-2011, 01:22 PM
I've really looked at picture #2 and #4 above, and they are obviously the same... probably the CorBon 125-gr +P. :rolleyes:

I'll post a few more of the GD's here after one Blazer 115-gr FMJ.

aray
04-01-2011, 02:15 PM
I would think u should be able to tell some difference between +P and regular ammo.

I sure can tell the difference. +P ammo in my CW9 for me induces a lot more felt recoil. I avoid it and go with standard pressure loads because I can regain my sight picture faster. I figure hitting my target rapidly, where I want to hit, is better than missing with more powerful loads. But that's just me.

jocko
04-01-2011, 02:22 PM
I did basically the same thing with my PM9--I PORTED IT!!!!!

wyntrout
04-01-2011, 02:35 PM
What is this "sight picture" thing?? I'm pointing center of mass, close quarters. If I'm behind cover and can get a "sight picture", good, but I'm going to be trying to do my best to not get shot while trying to take my best shot at the bad guy while taking the situation into consideration.
I fire my follow-up shots as the the barrel starts to get back into the center of mass area....

Wow! I see TWO eagles and two ospreys circling the same area... unusual!

Anyhow, that's my strategy... mainly not getting perforated as I try to take the BG out, remembering that he may have buddies.

Wynn:D

wyntrout
04-01-2011, 07:13 PM
Yank! :D

Ljutic
04-03-2011, 01:21 PM
Finally got a break in the weather so I had plenty of sun for my first pictures of the great .380 FMJ Ammo Test of 2011. I ended up with 22 varieties to test. Would have liked to include a couple more (RWS, USA, Stryker, Georgia Arms), but had to draw the line at some point. My final decision criteria on what would and would not be tested was "Can I get it at Ammotogo, Cabela's, Midway, or Walmart. Anything that had to be ordered direct or was "remanufactured" was excluded from the test due simply to ease of me getting more in the future.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v391/BDSBruce/Wireless/9f3fe3f7.jpg

jocko
04-03-2011, 02:18 PM
hell no wonder I can't find any 380 ammo, u bought it all!!!!!

Ljutic
04-03-2011, 03:38 PM
hell no wonder I can't find any 380 ammo, u bought it all!!!!!

This is the result of many months of hunting and gathering. :D Tell me what you are looking for and I'll share my intel on who has it in stock.

If you think this is bad, you should see the stack of duplicates. Can't get just one of something you know.