PDA

View Full Version : WWB question...

Mokumbear
04-01-2011, 07:02 PM
Despite an e-mail to Cabela's for clarification, I still wound up with
ammo that was not what I was seeking.

The 9mm came with nice pointy, rounded JHP bullets.
The .380 came with blunt, flat nosed JHP bullets.

What is the purpose of these flat nosed bullets?
Should I expect them to perform any worse during break in than the pointy, round nosed bullets? :confused:

TheTman
04-01-2011, 07:11 PM
My .40 WWB are flat nosed too, while my .45 are round nosed. I bet they use the round nose for military calibers, and the flat nosed for other calibers where you'd mostly be shooting hollow points. And some .45's won't feed anything but round nose reliably. I think the purpose of the flat nose is to simulate feeding a hollow point round. Thats my best guess.

linksrds
04-04-2011, 03:19 PM
I have shot quite a bit of the WWB .380 rounds through my P380 and absolutley love them. I have not had any problems or malfs. of any kind.

I would be happy using the truncated cone bullet as a PD round.

just my .o2

joe d
04-05-2011, 04:59 PM
I use the truncated WWB as well as Speer gold dots HP's for defense in my LCP...I've read that quite a few like and use the truncated for defense as well w/ great results...

mr surveyor
04-05-2011, 05:19 PM
...I've read that quite a few like and use the truncated for defense as well w/ great results...

do you have any sources that document those results from defensive uses?

just curious.

joe d
04-05-2011, 05:46 PM
do you have any sources that document those results from defensive uses?You might have seen this allready...This guy has done lots of gel tests with 380...The FMJ's are at the bottom...There's other defense tests somewhere else w/ the truncated WWB 380...I thought I had it saved...Let me look for it...

http://www.goldenloki.com/ammo/gel/380acp/gel380acp.htm

joe d
04-05-2011, 05:54 PM
Here ya go Mr S...this one is good as well...

http://www.brassfetcher.com/380ACP%20ammunition%20performance%20in%20ballistic %20gelatin.pdf

MW surveyor
04-06-2011, 04:55 AM
The end of the bullet is called the metplat and in the case of some of the smaller rounds, having a larger metplat provides a greater surface area for "energy transmission". Since they don't expand like hollow points, actual diameter of holes are going to be pretty close to the FMJ.