PDA

View Full Version : I want a full-size double-stack Kahr. Do you?

Zak
04-05-2011, 01:30 PM
I've owned a P40 Covert for a few years now and I think it's pretty much optimal for a thin, concealable pistol. The only thing I'd even consider trading it for is a PM40.

Missing from my collection is a full-size, double-stack, duty-style pistol. I want a .40 with a 4.5-5.0" barrel, 14-round or better capacity and an accessory rail so I can mount a light on it. There are a lot of good products out there meeting that description, and I'm currently leaning toward the M&P with the XDm, Glock and FNX[1] making the short-list. None of these are perfect though, so I'm continuing to wait and hope that the ideal gun shows up.

It has occurred to me that my ideal full-size gun would actually be an enlarged P40. It should take a double-stack magazine, but keep the grip as thin as it can and offer interchangeable backstraps, it should have an accessory rail, it should have a 4.5" barrel, the trigger guard should probably be a bit bigger and the trigger a bit longer. It should otherwise be just like the existing P40.

Would you buy this? Why or why not?

[1] I know it only comes in 4", but it has the best ergonomics of these for my hands, so I might forgive it.

Bawanna
04-05-2011, 01:40 PM
I'd look at the Para Ordnance LDA series. I think you could get close to the P40 except for the tupperware.

The capacity and size are relatively close.

I'd rather Kahr focus on perfection on the models they offer now. Wouldn't take much, in many cases they are already there but a few little tweaks and improvements, like threaded metal inserts in the polymer frames where stuff screws in. Flush up the mags for a better cosmetic appearance. Little more focus to detail on the tupperware frames like they do to the metal frames which are a machinist thing of beauty. Build a K or MK 45 so Wyn can buy one and stop whining like a little baby. (you thought I'd pass up this little dig?) I want one too and I'll stop whining too if I get one. Well probably not, whining is what I do. It's a borderline forte.

To make your dream gun they would be stepping out of the arena where they accel. With the acquistion of MRI and AO they have a foot in the full size market also, more than a foot really, a whole leg at least.

eastenn
04-05-2011, 01:44 PM
how about a sig with dak trigger

Bawanna
04-05-2011, 01:49 PM
Good option too.

Zak
04-05-2011, 01:52 PM
I haven't tried a Sig with a DAK trigger, nor a P250. The stock grips on the P226 are too fat for my hands, but I imagine there are slimmer options in the aftermarket. The bore axis is a bit higher than I'd prefer - most striker-fired guns are better in that regard. The P250 does look to be fairly close to what a full-size Kahr would be like, but I've heard some bad things about their reliability. Any owners care to comment?

swampman
04-05-2011, 03:21 PM
I've owned a P40 Covert for a few years now and I think it's pretty much optimal for a thin, concealable pistol. The only thing I'd even consider trading it for is a PM40.

Missing from my collection is a full-size, double-stack, duty-style pistol. I want a .40 with a 4.5-5.0" barrel, 14-round or better capacity and an accessory rail so I can mount a light on it. There are a lot of good products out there meeting that description, and I'm currently leaning toward the M&P with the XDm, Glock and FNX[1] making the short-list. None of these are perfect though, so I'm continuing to wait and hope that the ideal gun shows up.

It has occurred to me that my ideal full-size gun would actually be an enlarged P40. It should take a double-stack magazine, but keep the grip as thin as it can and offer interchangeable backstraps, it should have an accessory rail, it should have a 4.5" barrel, the trigger guard should probably be a bit bigger and the trigger a bit longer. It should otherwise be just like the existing P40.

Would you buy this? Why or why not?

[1] I know it only comes in 4", but it has the best ergonomics of these for my hands, so I might forgive it.
Absolutely not,I like kahr for their thinness,If I want a double stack,I will look elsewhere :confused:

melissa5
04-05-2011, 04:09 PM
No, I've got my Blocks..um Glocks for that.

DKD
04-05-2011, 04:21 PM
On the road and for daily carry I rely on my PM45 & PM9. As for my home defensive handgun, that duty falls to my Kimber Pro-Raptor or Ultra Raptor with tritium night sights. I can drive tacks with the 4" all steel Pro-Raptor. Normally I can empty a mag in just 4-5 seconds and keep them all inside of 4" inches at 21 feet. I don't feel I need any high cap mag's...I also carry a spare mag or two anyway.

mr surveyor
04-05-2011, 05:14 PM
I would much rather Kahr stick to what they do best... and do better than the rest. There are a number of manufacturers that already make some of the finest quality double stack mag handguns available, so it would be a tough market for Kahr to compete in... most likely at the expense of reduced attention/quality in the products we already know and love.

I'd say, buy a Sig, H&K, Beretta or even a ...choke...choke... Glock.

surv

Bawanna
04-05-2011, 05:21 PM
I wore a paper sack over my head riding in my "F" word van for the first 6 months or so but I don't feel the need to hide or hang my head down at the mention of a choke, choke Glock.
The work, they serve a good purpose, they are a great police gun. Certainly not for everyone just like anything else. I own one and I've owned a dozen before. One of the few guns I had no seller remorse cause I know I can go get another one exactly like it whenever I want.

I'd a whole lot rather have a Glock than some of the other brands that have been dicussed, sliced and diced here.

Perhaps I'm doing penance for my earlier slamming of them K guns?

mr surveyor
04-05-2011, 05:45 PM
B

notice I did add Glock to my recommended quality list for hi-cap semi-auto handguns, and you will notice that I did NOT add the other manufacturers that, in my opinion, would have been better served to concentrate their efforts in making the high quality revolvers they were known for and forgo the frnezy to jump on the semi-auto band wagon.

Even I almost considered buying a G19, but decided I couldn't afford to buy all new pants in order to stuff that monster slide into the waist band:)

(in other words, it wasn't intended to be a cheap shot at the glock fans)

surv

Bawanna
04-05-2011, 05:59 PM
My post was not directed at you directly either but just in general. I know you spent all that time in sensitivity sessions and I wouldn't do that to you.

I'm the first to slam what I consider junk as opposed to guns that serve a purpose but aren't for everyone.

I won't mention anymore names. Dont want to incite a riot or anything. well actually I kind of do but maybe another time.

Cornel
04-05-2011, 09:04 PM
I guess I'm with the people that say let Kahr improve in the lines the currently have. For example, what about that pesky slide stop spring and its holding screw, screwed in the polymer instead a threaded metal insert so the slide stop will stay in place or the spring being less prone to "bending". Also having more extended mags with finger extentions and no gaps in between the mag and the receiver/grips butt or flush mags for better concealment, for ex. the CW45 and the likes.

For a slim double stack (high capacity) pistol, I guess that for me the XDMs are just fine. They have the smaller/slimmer receiver than glocks, berretas, etc, etc and they are pretty slim for pistols in that category.

Jeremiah/Az
04-05-2011, 09:33 PM
No, I would not buy a big Kahr. These are CARRY guns. I keep a Glock in my truck. If it gets stolen, all they got was a bunch of ugly!:puke: LOL It does shoot everytime the trigger is pulled!

GadsdenGalt
04-05-2011, 10:17 PM
It is funny that our customers desperately want us to develop exactly the opposite. Fortunately we have brainwashed them so no matter what we do they won't leave us.

-G. Glock

Kahr makes imho the best single stack pistols (I hope someone gets more hk p7s) and I hope they continue to improve them. There is another thread about the desire for a pivoting mag follower of some type. I would have that than a kahck.

I am getting an M&P compact. I think it is a sweet shooting DAO handgun. It holds 12 and can use the 17 round mags.

RUT
04-06-2011, 05:33 AM
>>No, I would not buy a big Kahr. These are CARRY guns<<

Yup, ditto that. Got my Glocks to fill the "double stack" needs. ;)

jlottmc
04-06-2011, 07:13 AM
NOPE. If you want a pistol to meet those criteria then look at the Smith and Wesson SD40. It has all of that, and the trigger is a little stiff, but it's smooth (smoother in fact than the M&P) The SD line is mostly compatible with the Sigma line and shoots exceptionally well (I was shocked). All for a price that is in line with a CW Kahr.

Goldstar225
04-06-2011, 07:31 AM
No double stack for me. I have a Glock 23 as a duty weapon that I carried off-duty until I got my K-40. Now my G-23 and Kahr are the same height, the Kahr is 1/2" shorter, the loaded weights are within a couple of ounces of each other but the Glock holds 7 more rounds. In the CBST holster I conceal both well. So why the heck did I buy a Kahr?

It's a slimmer single stack that's a great fit in my hand. That's what I wanted and got with the Kahr.

onegun
04-06-2011, 11:13 AM
Nope.

Lobo_79
04-06-2011, 11:58 AM
..Missing from my collection is a full-size, double-stack, duty-style pistol. I want a .40 with a 4.5-5.0" barrel, 14-round or better capacity and an accessory rail so I can mount a light on it. There are a lot of good products out there meeting that description, and I'm currently leaning toward the M&P with the XDm, Glock and FNX[1] making the short-list. None of these are perfect though, so I'm continuing to wait and hope that the ideal gun shows up.

Here's another worthy contender: http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-p07-duty/

But I also agree with another poster. I went to Kahr because I wanted a single stack design. And for me I was disappointed in the 1911. I could get over that if I wanted to throw enough money at the solution.

But for what you described I would give the CZ a close look. Just another opinion in a sea of opinions...LOL.

Bawanna
04-06-2011, 02:21 PM
No!

Is that your final answer?

Zak
04-06-2011, 05:13 PM
Here's another worthy contender: http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-p07-duty/

I don't like it. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it, but it's not what I want:

The bore axis looks high
It's DA/SA, but I want a light DAO (like a Kahr)
I'd prefer striker-fired or a spurless hammer, because I might sometimes carry it and the hammer can catch on clothing
It appears to only come in compact, but I want full-size
It's ugly!

mr surveyor
04-06-2011, 05:17 PM
get an XDM and call it done

Zak
04-06-2011, 11:55 PM
Can you list concrete advantages of the XDm over the M&P? I liked the ergonomics, low bore axis and trigger pull of the M&P better, but I'm not excluding the XDm at this point. Note that I don't care about the extra round or grip safety.

johnh
04-07-2011, 06:50 AM
Having had both, I think the XDm has a much better grip angle and shape than the M&P. It fits the hand (at least mine) very well, and is textured/relieved in just the right places. I am selling off my XDm 40 as my STI has replaced it, but keeping my XDm 3.8 9mm for the Mrs. She shoots it very well and it fits her hands perfectly. The grip is very forgiving of hand size despite holding 19 rounds (16 in the 40). They are also very, very accurate. She ran through my CCW course recently and had the other women accusing her of being a crack shot. She kept sending rounds through the same hole at 7 yds. :D It was only the second or third time she had fired a handgun. The XDm just shoots good.

Zak
04-07-2011, 11:48 AM
A solution presents itself: my local rental range has both the M&P and XDm in .40. Next time I get the chance to go there, I'll rent both and see which I prefer.

Popeye
04-09-2011, 01:03 PM
No I don't my XD9sc has got that covered. :D

ltxi
04-11-2011, 07:29 PM
Coming late to this, but my answer is not hardly. Bulky, double stack, totally reliable and indestructible appliance guns for half the price of a PM9 is what Glocks are for.

Thunder71
04-11-2011, 08:10 PM
Well... to answer the thread title, no.

I have a Springfield Armory XDM that is top notch, I actually wished they made a single stack - which brought me to Kahr, top notch in their field.

I'm not brand loyal, I feel the XDM is the best double stack and the Kahr is the best single stack for my needs.

Works for me.

.45fan
04-13-2011, 11:49 AM
If you don't mind used guns, with slightly less mag capacity, look into the 3rd generation S&W's. I like the 4003 because it has an alloy frame and SS slide. The weight is 28oz or 29oz (I forget) and the ammo capacity is 11 + 1. If you like DA only the 4043 is the same gun described above with the action being the only difference.

I like the XD line if you decide to go with a poly gun. The XD 45c is my daily carry.

My answer to the thread title question is NO.