PDA

View Full Version : K-9 in IDPA

JohnR
04-11-2011, 01:21 PM
Went to a Classifier Saturday and used my K-9. I cannot express how fantastic this gun is to shoot in that kind of environment. It shoots better than I do. A couple of folks asked me what it was, I guess the hadn't seen many around since everyone likes to show off their Glocks and M&Ps in IDPA. Maybe they watched me squeeze out six rounds with almost no visible recoil. Anyway, I'm lovin' it. It qualifies as a BUG too, so I can use it for everything they do.

:)

skychief12
04-11-2011, 01:45 PM
I haven't shot IDPA at my gun club. They don't run a bug class anyway.

This weekend after a some rounds at the 10 yard, I was thinking how well I am shooting my E9. Then I tried some one shot from the draw drills. Man! do I need some dry fire practice. That long trigger sure showed up then. I may have to switch sights too. The "dot the eye" sights that are on this gun seem to cause me too much time to line up.

It is good to see you aren't having these same issues JohnR.

apheod
04-11-2011, 03:58 PM
i haven't shot my pm9 in IDPA yet (waiting on my dual IWB mag carrier and city slicker holster from ryan grizzle) but i would think the trigger reset being so long would cause issues. i can doubletap almost as fast as i can with the HK that i normally use, but not as accurately, unless i deliberately slow down.

skychief12
04-11-2011, 04:10 PM
More years than I can count of shooting 1911 with a 3# trigger is making it tough to get pass the Kahr's trigger take up with any speed. However, once I get it rolling, it is nice. Oh well, back to dry fire, dry fire, dry fire.

JohnR
04-12-2011, 06:56 AM
Skychief, a little white paint in the recessed triangles makes a world of difference. It's almost like they were made to be painted.

http://kahrtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3416&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1300483466

This was only my second time in an IDPA event (new baby at home, can't get away as much as I'd like). My first was a classifier last year, where I used my Ruger P345 which is SA/DA like a 1911. I still shot way better with the K9. I don't think speed is really the issue unless you're a heck of a great shooter; they like to say, "you can't miss fast enough."

Having said that, I classified as Marksman (the lowest official classification). With the Ruger, I made "Novice" which is below that.

skychief12
04-12-2011, 07:35 AM
Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try.

apheod
04-12-2011, 09:13 AM
Skychief, a little white paint in the recessed triangles makes a world of difference. It's almost like they were made to be painted.

http://kahrtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3416&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1300483466

This was only my second time in an IDPA event (new baby at home, can't get away as much as I'd like). My first was a classifier last year, where I used my Ruger P345 which is SA/DA like a 1911. I still shot way better with the K9. I don't think speed is really the issue unless you're a heck of a great shooter; they like to say, "you can't miss fast enough."

Having said that, I classified as Marksman (the lowest official classification). With the Ruger, I made "Novice" which is below that.

i wouldn't consider myself a great shooter, i'm definitely better than your average gun owner, but about average for IDPA shooters. doubletaps with the hk take under a second and usually dont spread more than 3 or 4 inches. with the kahr, its around a second, and more like 5-6 inches.

granted, i've got a LOT more experience with shooting the hk, especially under the stress of the clock, which may be the difference. i'm sure i could close the gap more if i actually used the kahr for IDPA.

jocko
04-12-2011, 10:43 AM
hk and kahr triggter systems are totally different. Don't compare them.