PDA

View Full Version : Bud's Gun Shop

melissa5
04-15-2011, 05:22 PM
Hope you guys haven't used a credit card at Bud's in the last month because they recently had a security breach. I just found out that my card had been used to purchase international air fare and something from Pods. Sounds like the thieves are getting ready to get out of town in a hurry. :mad: Fortunately, AMEX caught on pretty quick and alerted me.

Bawanna
04-15-2011, 05:25 PM
Got one of our guys too. Same thing, his card company caught it and didn't charge him. Supposedly Bud's has beefed up their 3rd party billing system to block the hackers more effectively. I hope.

melissa5
04-15-2011, 06:14 PM
Well, someone on another forum just posted that it wasn't just Bud's that was hit, but also ammunitiontogo. Apparently, their credit card processor had a breach and it was on the news recently. More info when I get it.

Willieboy
04-15-2011, 08:15 PM
I found out sveral months ago I'd purchased a $475 IPAD. However since the thief wanted the IPAD delivered to an address other than mine, the credit wizards caught it before I got hurt. Did have to get a new credit card though.

Ardbeg
04-15-2011, 08:36 PM
Not actually buds fault. We got a notice from 2 other company's that got hit. It was a 3rd party contractor that many online stores use to process cards.

Bawanna
04-15-2011, 08:44 PM
Not actually buds fault. We got a notice from 2 other company's that got hit. It was a 3rd party contractor that many online stores use to process cards.

Exactly. Third party but I bet alot of folks are gonna be ticked at Buds. I know my guy wasn't happy at all. Not even proven it was the Bud's puchase but we're pretty sure it was.

I don't blame Buds at all although my next purchase I might send a money order just to be safe ya know?

gagnejs8
04-15-2011, 09:01 PM
There was a breach at a company called Epislon. They normally only do teh email marketing stuff. I've gotten probably 8 different emails from companies saying my email address had been breached, but nothing other than that was affected. Apparently that may not be the case according to what I read here.

jfrey
04-15-2011, 09:24 PM
That's the reason I shop at the LGS, who uses the same bank I do. My wife also works at the bank and keeps a close eye on our account.

Bud's may seem cheaper but by the time you pay shipping, insurance, and transfer fee, the price is about the same as local.

jimbar
04-15-2011, 09:38 PM
That's the reason I shop at the LGS, who uses the same bank I do. My wife also works at the bank and keeps a close eye on our account.

Bud's may seem cheaper but by the time you pay shipping, insurance, and transfer fee, the price is about the same as local.

Exactly, that's why I shop local. I know of 5 gun shops within a 45 min drive, and I would rather support my LGS anyway. If I have a problem with anything, I know I can get it taken care of face to face.
I almost bought some ammo from on-line co, but after figuring the shipping, heck it was more expensive than local.

aray
04-15-2011, 10:28 PM
It's not unusual for third party credit card processing companies to be hacked. A couple of years ago Heartland Payment Systems was hacked and thousands of merchants & millions of card holders were affected, as one example.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/PersonalFinance/story?id=6695611&page=1

CJB
04-16-2011, 06:49 AM
Not actually Bud's fault... yah, but they also went with a low cost provider. They could have done better, but I agree, technically, not their fault.

OTOH, a higher card fee would translate into higher prices....sigh.

REACT
04-16-2011, 07:04 AM
My credit card had to be replaced recently after someone decided to pay on their xBox Live account. It's not the first time that this has happened to me and it will not be the last.

http://www.infowar.com

Thankfully, I am not out the money ($90) and the card was replaced quickly. The important point is to ONLY use a credit card for all online purchases since most, if not all, companies protect their users from fraudulent charges. Debit cards are not safe since the money is directly connected to a savings/checking account.

Kahrson
04-16-2011, 07:57 AM
Buds is not credit card friendly. First off they charge 3% above the listed price if you use your cc. So you have to grab your calculator add in 3% to get to the real out the door price less shipping.

As Bawanna stated you can send them a money order or check. But I have heard people complain that when they do this Buds runs out of inventory on the gun by the time they get your payment. I have also heard that Buds will process your payment even though they are out of inventory and then notify you of being out of stock. All in all sounds like a big hassle. I'm not here to bash Buds I have never purchased from them just relaying what I have heard. On the contrary I have heard of folks being very pleased with them.

I have only 2 or 3 lgs to shop from so I have purchased nearly all my guns on the web. I had no hope of finding my Kahr K9 Elite in a gun shop around here.

I look for online shops that also have a store front. If they have what I'm looking for at the best price with the most straight forward approach, then I call them and place the order.

jeepster09
04-16-2011, 08:31 AM
I have bought from Bud's in the past, but will not again. Last week I tried contacting them to no avail. They don't answer phone and don't resapond to e-mails in a timely manner......pretty low on the customer service.

CJB
04-16-2011, 09:38 AM
Just a heads up - Florida Gun Exhange. A small shop just south of Daytona. HUGE inventory. Over the counter prices beat BUDS, beat CDNN, beat TopGunSupply... just sayin'.

I went in during bike week to see if I could HOLD a PM45 and walked out with one, because the prices were so great. LOTS of friendly staff... they had six or seven sales folks on a Saturday afternoon, and the place was busy (coulda been bike week tho)

Bawanna
04-16-2011, 10:27 AM
My credit card had to be replaced recently after someone decided to pay on their xBox Live account. It's not the first time that this has happened to me and it will not be the last.

http://www.infowar.com

Thankfully, I am not out the money ($90) and the card was replaced quickly. The important point is to ONLY use a credit card for all online purchases since most, if not all, companies protect their users from fraudulent charges. Debit cards are not safe since the money is directly connected to a savings/checking account.

I did not consider this. I always use a debit card (for the places that will take it). Figured if it gets jacked theres only so much they can get which normally is very very little after my actual purchase.
It's normally used only for Brownells orders and occasionally Buds etc.
I obviously have to rethink this plan.
Credit cards are not good for me. Allow me to do things I really can't afford to do which leads to refinancing to clean up my mess. I have a room full of mistakes that I enjoy immensely though.

CJB
04-16-2011, 11:18 AM
Always credit here. I pay it off 100% every month. I like the protection in security, protection in fees, and I like using someone elses money all month. Well, maybe its my money, cuz I got some stashed in the same bank, who knows?

If you can control what ya do - credit card is the only way to fly.

REACT
04-16-2011, 05:01 PM
Credit cards are not good for me. Allow me to do things I really can't afford to do which leads to refinancing to clean up my mess.

Been there, bought that. I've since learned from my mistakes and I am now a reformed shopper. Like CJB, the card gets paid off each month and I enjoy the security of using someone else's money as a buffer. And a disputable buffer at that. I have time to review and contest any purchases before any money leaves my checking account.

bigbob68
04-16-2011, 06:02 PM
I'm an FFL and have seen that Bud's Gun Shop ships out using Bud's Police Supply on the FFL and Jet Guns uses Bud's Gun Shop. I never know what FFL I am going to get when shopping at Buds, Bud's Police or Jet Guns.

ltxi
04-16-2011, 06:16 PM
Always credit here. I pay it off 100% every month. I like the protection in security, protection in fees, and I like using someone elses money all month. Well, maybe its my money, cuz I got some stashed in the same bank, who knows?

If you can control what ya do - credit card is the only way to fly.

X2++

I refuse to use debit cards and disabled the feature on my two ATM cards. I've never understood the attraction. Why I would want to give a potential hacker direct access to my checking account is completely beyond me....not to mention the added protection a CC provides against any transaction gone bad.

I also carry no debt so it's easy for me. But anyone could set up a separate credit card account for routine purchases that gets paid off on a monthly basis.

jocko
04-16-2011, 06:23 PM
try renting a car without a credit or debit card: Be prepared to walk !!! Seems nobody wants cash anymore.

jfrey
04-16-2011, 08:54 PM
Jocko, speaking of cash; this is sort of a funny story that happened to me quite a few years back. My boss and I were shopping in a K-mart in Alvin, Texas and had our baskets piled fairly high with stuff we were buying for a longterm job we were on. I checked out first and my bill was a little over $700.00. I paid the young cashier in cash and handed her 7 one hundred dollar bills. She looked at them rather peculiarly and said "just a minute". A manager showed up shortly and looked at the cash and completed the transaction. As my boss was then checking out with his load, I was able to ask the manager what the problem had been with my money. She explained that the girl was new and had never seen any hundred dollar bills before and thought they might be fake.

Since we normally carried around $1000.00 or so in our pockets for such things, we never even thought about it. Today we would just swipe our company debit cards and go on.

Bawanna
04-16-2011, 10:17 PM
I saw a 100 dollar bill once, even got to hold it. Funny thing it looked alot like a 1 dollar bill with more zero's. It was kind of pretty.

I'd like to have one of my own someday and maybe even carry it around for a day or two. Course if my wife or kids got wind of it that wish would burst like an over inflated balloon.

jfrey
04-17-2011, 09:48 AM
Bawanna, concealed means concealed. I'd never let 'em know I had it. I actually saw and held a real $1000.00 bill when I was a kid. They don't print them anymore. No one but the govt. can afford 'em.

Bawanna
04-17-2011, 10:15 AM
Bawanna, concealed means concealed. I'd never let 'em know I had it. I actually saw and held a real $1000.00 bill when I was a kid. They don't print them anymore. No one but the govt. can afford 'em.

Lucky I am gonna remember this. I'll tell people I gotta wad of 100's but don't want to show off. That might work for some that don't know me.

jfrey
04-17-2011, 12:14 PM
Which pocket you gonna carry 'em in?????????? How big a roll?????? Ever heard of "printing"? All necessary considerations when you carry concealed. Just kidding.