PDA

View Full Version : Internet Scammer Paul Webster Caught! + Anti-Fraud Tips from GunsAmerica

aray
04-18-2011, 09:00 AM
I saw this on another gun forum I frequent. Interesting article about an internet scammer that specialized in ripping people off on guns, plus they have some good tips & advice on non-face-to-face transactions:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/internet-scammer-paul-webster-caught-anti-fraud-tips-from-gunsamerica

OldLincoln
04-18-2011, 10:17 AM
The tips there are really good. The make simple sense but I'd never thought to do them. I will now!

Dietrich
04-18-2011, 11:48 AM
Dont know if it`s my computer or what but I clicked on the thread and it came back "page cannot be found" or something like that.Really don`t matter `cause I don`t buy guns on line but I try to read all threads by Aray,even though he has made me more cautious after the Dear Woman thing.Glad they caught a BG too.

aray
04-18-2011, 01:23 PM
Dont know if it`s my computer or what but I clicked on the thread and it came back "page cannot be found" or something like that.Really don`t matter `cause I don`t buy guns on line but I try to read all threads by Aray,even though he has made me more cautious after the Dear Woman thing.Glad they caught a BG too.

Try copy & paste of the link into your URL window maybe? Just tested it again off the posting. Works for me.

Yeah, sorry about that Dear Woman posting. Really sorry. Really really really ... well you get the idea.

OldLincoln
04-18-2011, 02:02 PM
Git a rope an find a tree!!

Dietrich
04-18-2011, 04:18 PM
Try copy & paste of the link into your URL window maybe? Just tested it again off the posting. Works for me.

Yeah, sorry about that Dear Woman posting. Really sorry. Really really really ... well you get the idea.
Well,I clicked on it again,just like I did before and this time it came up slick as a whistle.It`s my computer,I`m sure.It`s an old one,powered by coal.Need a new one I reckon.Maybe the Easter Bunny....

Bawanna
04-18-2011, 04:24 PM
The tips there are really good. The make simple sense but I'd never thought to do them. I will now!

Well for once I dont feel dumber than a box of rocks. I've always done most all of those suggestions.

First thing I usually do is establish a dialogue with the seller just to see if he's reachable and answers his emails. Ask a few questions, let them know my interest and my horrible impatience issues.

Most reputable guys will give you good solid indicators. Not to say scammers couldn't fake you out but usually the good guys go the extra mile to insure your confidence.

The guy we're currently getting my sons Springfield from supplied his name and address, location etc without even asking.

Just gotta be cautious now days. Theres crooks everywhere thinking up new scams all the time.

gagnejs8
04-18-2011, 04:30 PM
I thought the article was kind of funny when it said GunsAmerica provided the Postal Service his latest address.

Glad to see him busted!