PDA

View Full Version : Ruger SR1911 now shipping!

gb6491
04-18-2011, 12:57 PM
Just got this in an email from DRTV:
"It is finally here and it is now official. Rumors has been roaming around for years that Ruger is making a 1911. These rumors started way even before Ruger considered making one. Back in November 2009, the first discussions started among the engineers and through extensive work and planning including 1000s of interviews through the “Voice of the Customer Program” the specification was put on paper and the project set in motion. Ruger is now shipping the SR1911 from their factory in Prescott, Arizona."
http://www.downrange.tv/blog/the-ruger-sr1911-video/9290/

Some more info:
http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-SR1911.htm

Regards,
Greg

CJB
04-18-2011, 05:00 PM
Some clarifications:

1. The slide is NOT forged. It is machined from solid. Forging involves the heating and beating of metal - done with a drop hammer and forging dies on a production basis. That is not the case with Ruger's SR-1911.

2. The barrel and bushing remain together - is said in one place, but clearly a bin of bushings and a bin of barrels, all by themselves for assembly.

3. I could not see - anyplace - READ INSTRUCTION MANUAL - AVAILABLE FREE FROM - Sturm Ruger and Co, Inc. Prescott Az. Hooray and Bravo to the ghost of Bill for that!

4. Ruger has not only made 1911 frames, but grip safeties, thumb safeties, cast disconnectors from beryllium-copper, magazine releases, and bushings for the 1911 trade since, oh... early 90's at least. This is what they refer to as "ghost casting" among those in the manufacturing circles. Ruger is, and has been, one of the top casting houses in North America for a long long time.

5. No great revelation, but... I want one! I can remember today, like it was yesterday, my friend (and boss at the time) Ed, saying "if anything Ruger's quality has increased over the years". It was 1983ish. We were lamenting the crap quality of the Colt 1911's and how you were lucky to get one that worked without tweakage. He owned a range, sold guns, reloaded commercially, and I worked for him then. This was before the P85 came out. We all hoped, even then, Ruger would make a 1911. I'm sure Ed will have one shortly. He said "you can bet if Ruger made one, it would be made right, and pretty much be a 'forever gun'". His term 'forever' always meant something of such high manufacturing integrity, it would almost literally last forever. I gotta go look him up... make sure he's doin ok.

CJB
04-18-2011, 05:16 PM
I take it back - it does say "****.... " in Ruger speak, under the recoil spring area. Bummer. Looks laser blackened.... maybe it will bead blast off... hope so.

CJB
04-18-2011, 05:22 PM
Arrr Teee Efff Emmm is a no no word here? Read the Friendly Manual? Hmmm.

Bawanna
04-18-2011, 05:27 PM
sHHHISH. We've had ATF agents around all week. Funny they look alot like humans. Ones even a pretty cute lady. Android no doubt.

Hauled off 3 or 4 of out more notorious bad guys on federally charges.

jlottmc
04-19-2011, 05:30 AM
Any idea what this is going to sell for and if these are close to MILSPEC for most everything but the plunger tube?

johnh
04-19-2011, 06:36 AM
I will stick with my trusty Kahr/MRI 1911 thank you. :D

http://kahrtalk.com/picture.php?albumid=58&pictureid=422

jlottmc
04-19-2011, 07:23 AM
That's the one brand I have the most of in my house. I re-read the gunblast, and think I may wait until they get cheaper. I'd carry it.

Bawanna
04-19-2011, 09:18 AM

http://kahrtalk.com/picture.php?albumid=58&pictureid=422

Darn, thats sweet.

Fedor
04-19-2011, 09:21 AM
I will be going with the Ruger SR1911

Bill K
04-19-2011, 09:40 AM

johnh,

Not certain of how to interpret your smiley in the context of your message so allow me to go ahead and ask...

I certainly can see sticking with a 1911 you currently own and trust over one new to the market and as yet unproven. However, if you were without a 1911 and looking is there something about the MRI that would make it a clear choice over the Ruger?

Thanks,
Bill K.

Bawanna
04-19-2011, 09:51 AM
johnh,

Not certain of how to interpret your smiley in the context of your message so allow me to go ahead and ask...

I certainly can see sticking with a 1911 you currently own and trust over one new to the market and as yet unproven. However, if you were without a 1911 and looking is there something about the MRI that would make it a clear choice over the Ruger?

Thanks,
Bill K.

At the risk of stepping on Johnh's toes I think it's a case of having something that works well and he's happy with. The fact that Kahr owns MRI now is a plus too I'd think. Thus not really in the market for another 1911 unless it has something special that makes it a must have.
I know I'm completely happy with my Cbob and doubt anything will replace it. I love that MRI and will have one someday. I also love that Ruger and can't wait to hold one. I'll have one of those too.
Guess I'm just a hog, I want them all.

Fedor
04-19-2011, 03:51 PM
The fact that Kahr owns MRI now is a plus too I'd think.

An even better reason to go with the Ruger SR1911

Bawanna
04-19-2011, 03:59 PM
Lord forgive me for what I'm about to say.

Mr. Fedor,

Are you here to bash Kahrs and Harley's or is there some productive purpose for your blessing us here with your presence.

I just had a daydream earlier this afternoon where you pulled your lower lip over your head and swallowed.

I don't know what's come over me but I feel slightly better now.

jocko
04-19-2011, 04:16 PM
ur to kind bawanna.

Fedor
04-19-2011, 08:40 PM
Lord forgive me for what I'm about to say.

Mr. Fedor,

Are you here to bash Kahrs and Harley's

I apologize for not doing more research before wasting my money on inferior products, I wont make the same mistakes twice.

Bawanna
04-19-2011, 08:50 PM
So is this goodbye then?:D sniff, sniff, sob.

jlottmc
04-20-2011, 06:31 AM
I'm thinking that he reminds me of a couple that are no longer with us. Perhaps its time to give the same treatment.

johnh
04-20-2011, 06:46 AM
Agreed, and done!

On the MRI post, I was just pointing out that Kahr has a nicely appointed 1911 that likely will be in the same price range. This is the Kahr forum after all. ;) I hope Ruger does a good job with their 1911. They have had experience making reliable 45 autos. The SR9 was a little rocky at first, but as others have pointed out they have been in the 1911 business a long time, just not under their product label.

jlottmc
04-20-2011, 07:04 AM
Thank you kindly big boss man. I like that MRI 1911, ironically the bbl length is the same. I how ever am a bit (little stretch) of a purist and don't like full length guide rods. I can live a little with billboards on my slide flats, but that guide rod set up, just makes it harder to take down in the field, or range. John, have you got room in your PM box for a question I have about some technical things? I did forget to mention that MRI has one of if not the best trigger pulls out of the box. I played with one for a little while, and it feels good. Wouldn't mind shooting one, but for me I would have to go with a standard guide rod and plug set up. They also have a very nice blued finish, in fact it kinda made my britches stick out in front.

JohnR
04-20-2011, 07:15 AM
My first pistol was a Ruger P345. As nice as that one is, an SR1911 would be really nice. Just going by the pictures, it looks really sharp. Can I have a do-over? :D Hard to justify spending more money on guns. I guess I can always trade...

jlottmc
04-20-2011, 09:11 AM
I have a P345 and love it too. I may have to save a bit to buy that but may do it. I'm pretty happy right now with the pistol side of my house.

wyntrout
05-13-2011, 03:22 AM
I think I'm gonna put an SR1911 at the top of my Christmas list. I would like a round mainspring housing, though. A U.S.-made 1911 in stainless with a 5" barrel sounds like a logical choice for my next shooter.

There was a video on YouTube of a "clown" at a gun store taking one apart and then putting it back together... really amateurish... with many mistakes... nothing like documenting your mistakes or in-expertise for the world to see.

Oh, I'm alive and well and we're company-free now. I still have lots to do in putting stuff away and getting on with renovations and repairs to the house. There are still all kinds of bins of stuff everywhere from the garage sale and moving stuff around for company.

I shot my bother's compact XD40 -- not sure which model -- and it was easy to shoot... FMJs were just like shooting 9mm. I didn't try any defense loads, though. It was the first time I had ever shot any .40 S&W.

I'm so behind on posts here and have so much to do around the house. :(

Wynn:)

Bawanna
05-13-2011, 09:26 AM
Well with thunderous applause and a standing ovation (well all but the derelict) welcome back. You've been missed and several inquired as to your well being.
Take little bites of the chore list and make time to visit us here during your breaks.
Hope Santa brings you that Ruger. I want one too and might do the same thing. Santa's sleigh might be a heavy mutha this year.

O'Dell
05-13-2011, 10:17 AM
I like the SR1911 and the reviews have been good. The only Ruger I have now is the LCP, but if this pistol had come out earlier when I was rebuilding, I would have definitely looked at it.

toolman
05-14-2011, 07:01 PM
went to my local gun shop with all intentions of finally getting the cw45 I,ve been craving .

well bob the owner (knows me to well ) says here feel this new ruger 1911
so the story goes put my order in for the ruger 2-3 wks wait time .

ok the cw 45 is the next purchase I promise .

my name is john and I,m a gunaholic with no intention of changing

Bawanna
05-14-2011, 07:20 PM
went to my local gun shop with all intentions of finally getting the cw45 I,ve been craving .

well bob the owner (knows me to well ) says here feel this new ruger 1911
so the story goes put my order in for the ruger 2-3 wks wait time .

ok the cw 45 is the next purchase I promise .

my name is john and I,m a gunaholic with no intention of changing

So I assume the Ruger 1911 was knock your socks off high quality, must have and completely blew your dress up over your head?

I haven't heard of anyone around here locally that I can fondle but if your 2-3 weeks out they must be getting out there. One more chance for me to be the first kid on my block to have the newest latest new toy out and in the 100th year of our man John Moses Brownings invention. The wife shouldn't beat me too hard for getting one of these. I'm worth it and I deserve it. She can get a couple cases of the Loreal hair color stuff since she's worth it too.

toolman
05-15-2011, 07:20 AM
yep the ruger is a dandy spent I,d say 45 minutes going thru it with the shop owner and yes it was a quality built firearm trust me I,m not one to have to be first on the block to have one .

it felt great in my hands 1 made in the U.S.A. 2 well built 3 its a 45 .

yeah guess you could say it blew my skirt up (and trust me the skirt don,t go up to easy anymore )

the cw 45 is next on the list as soon as funds are there .

layaway uuuuummmm:)

wyntrout
05-15-2011, 02:35 PM
I told my wife that I wanted an SR1911 and I could wait until Christmas. She said "Isn't every day Christmas for you?" Dang, next month's my 65th BD and I didn't ask for it then! :rolleyes:
Jeez... I just spent about $500 on shirts online to replace all of the shrunken and widened ones that I got rid of at my last garage sale... Cabela's, Land's End, Sportsman's Guide, Duluth, and JC Penney's locally. I bought a lot of long T-shirts and polos... all with pockets, and the best deals I could find. I need shirts that will hide my CCW, even though the Governor should be signing into law the protection for inadvertent weapon exposure for CCW permit holders.

And I did spend almost $300 for Novak adjustable NS on my SA Champion... and CT LaserGrips for my K9($50 rebate!!)... and cheap holsters for all... oh, yeah... 8 new magazines for the Champion... and a whole lot of other stuff, not including ammo every time I go into Wal-Mart.

Then there's the new Pergo floor for my command center/computer room/hobby room. :D

I am kind of high maintenance. Quick picture of unfinished room using what I had on hand and left over after the garage sale.

Wynn:D

jimbar
05-15-2011, 03:56 PM
Hey, Bawanna, don't forget the "Ruger" truck will be at Lynden gun shop next Sat, 21st. I would hope they will have at least one new SR1911 to show off.
If they have several, I'll have my checkbook in hand, if not, I'll probably put in my order at Dave's. I'm assuming the gun will be as good as it looks from the web site pic's. If I'm not suitably impressed. I will pick up that GP 100 .357 that I know they have in stock.

Bawanna
05-15-2011, 04:21 PM
Man, thanks Jimbar, I knew it was coming up but it snuck up on me. I'm gonna try and make it up there. I have some powder thats been sitting on a desk at Kesselrings for a couple months. I need to get by there and pick it up, might as well keep heading north and check out Daves.
Not sure I can get in the truck thing but I can look at whatever I can see.

RUT
05-16-2011, 04:36 PM
>>I think I'm gonna put an SR1911 at the top of my Christmas list.<<

I put it at the top of my "right now" list and put my order in last week.

RUT
05-24-2011, 09:55 PM
And it arrived today, and is in my possession. Very nice quality, especially for the money! :)

wyntrout
05-24-2011, 10:14 PM
That was quick! Congratulations!

Pix and range report. please.

jeep45238
05-25-2011, 12:20 AM
I'll be honest - I desperately want to be back into the 1911 game.

This will have to wait till after the sgl31 is in my safe...but I think I have narrowed down the options to one, and only one. The S&W 1911 E series. Yes, the extractor is external, but it is the only one that has been proven to work continually so far. I'll just have to peen the pin that holds it in place to keep it from dropping down out of the slide and binding into the frame.

The black finish is actually melonite, a heat treatment of the steel that makes it very rust resistant and extremely wear resistant. I'll probably be getting SKU 108409. 20 lpi on the front strap, and my past experiences with the S&W series of 1911's is amazing. The cocking serrations are the same as my M&P series - very easy to work, yet doesn't tear up your hands.

http://www.executivegunrunners.com/images/product/image.php?s=1&id=72000

http://10-8performance.blogspot.com/2011/04/s-e-series-detailed-review.html

Pretty good so far if you ask me :)

RUT
05-25-2011, 05:58 AM
>>That was quick! Congratulations!<<

Well, it was just by luck that I got it when I did. My dealer called me yesterday saying that this particular gun was sold by them on 5/8 to another gent. Apparently, he took it home but never fired it.....suddenly needed money, and sold it back to them. So, I got a brandy new gun for $50.00 less than I would have paid, and there's no telling when I would have gotten it. :)

wyntrout
05-25-2011, 12:02 PM
Hey! Sometimes you're in the right place at the right time, etc., AND have the funds or credit to jump on a deal... that's great!

I still remember that "found-the-Golden-Chalis" feeling when I found my LNIB PM9 DLC at the Gun Show... when I wasn't looking for one! It was all goose-bumps and surreal!

And, Mike, that looks like a real winner for a shooter/"battle gun"!

jeep45238
05-26-2011, 10:39 PM
And, Mike, that looks like a real winner for a shooter/"battle gun"!

It should hold up better than my old Para did - and it did pretty well (except for the finish and a few MIM parts).

Till then though, my M&P's are doing the job just fine and dandy.

LuckyGunner
06-09-2011, 03:28 PM
I finally got some range time with a SR1911 over Memorial weekend. In general it was quite a bit nicer than I thought it would be. I thought I might pick one up later on, but after shooting on I have one on order.

Once I get it will be off for some work. Hopefully I'll get to shoot it before X Mas.