PDA

View Full Version : Extra Magazines

Old Salt
04-22-2011, 01:55 AM
I picked up an extra magazine for my CW45 and was just wondering how many members carry extra magazines. Do you carry your extra magazine in your pocket or have a magazine holder attached to your belt?

RUT
04-22-2011, 06:28 AM
>>just wondering how many members carry extra magazines<<

Fortunately, I live in an area of the country that has not yet necessitated that.

jocko
04-22-2011, 06:35 AM
the PM9 is enough for me to carry, If I can't do it in 7, then I was probably dead at round 5. No offense to those who want to carry a spare magazine or two even, . Been carrying for over 48 years, never ever hadto draw in anger and I just don't get to much more carried away with this defense stuff than one gun loaded and ready to go.. I feel two rounds safer than when I carred my Model 60 for years. When is enough rounds a nuff??That is a personal decision.

TheGreatGonzo
04-22-2011, 07:36 AM
I always carry a spare magazine, usually two. When I'm carrying a single-stack such as my MK9, K9, or Sig P239, capacity is a small part of my reasoning. But, my primary reason is that, in most semi-autos, the magazine is the most likely part of the firearm to malfunction. Additionally, if you have a double-feed, you are going to need to strip the mag from the weapon in order to clear it. The reality is (for me), it takes no more effort on my part to conceal a magazine than I am already expending to conceal the pistol.

My spare mags go on my left side in a magazine pouch. For twenty years, I have trained so that if/when my pistol runs dry, my left hand goes to my left side for an emergency reload without even thinking about it. I can't imagine a worse feeling than needing that spare magazine to be there and realizing I did not bother to carry one. In my personal, daily risk assessment, the possibility that I might need the spare mag far outweighs any inconvenience in carrying one (or two).

I've been driving a car for nearly 30 years. I have never had an engine fire. And yet I carry a fire extinguisher in my truck. In my mind, the same concept applies to spare magazines.
Gonzo

Cap'n
04-22-2011, 08:05 AM
+1, Gonzo.

When I first started carrying an extra mag, I was surprised how easy it was. Why haven't I done this before?

Recently, I started carrying two spare mags, but have since gone back to one. Two in a double mag pouch became uncomfortable; alternatively spreading a second mag somewhere else on my body didn't seem to meet basic training consistency standards.

gb6491
04-22-2011, 09:23 AM
I do and I use a Galco Quick Magazine Carrier.
http://i52.tinypic.com/ojfpu1.jpg
Regards,
Greg

Bawanna
04-22-2011, 09:28 AM
I always carry 2 on my left usually in a Gould & Gouldrich paddle. Very comfy, easy to put on and take off.
The PM45 on the ankle runs with the same mags so theres a few more available.

I've subscribed to The Great Gonzo plan for many years. Good plan.

TheTman
04-22-2011, 10:45 AM
I usually carry a spare mag in a Blackhawk mag carrier, holds either .40 or .45. securely. A lot depends on where I'm going. If I'm staying in my small town, I don't always take it, if I go into the city it usually goes along. Heck, a lot of times if I'm just going down the the corner market, I drop my 5 shot .44 special with the hip grip handle down the front of my pants. I can't tell you the last armed robbery or murder or anything like that in my small town.

http://graphics.pccomps.com/Blackhawk.jpg

OldLincoln
04-22-2011, 11:35 AM
Well, when carrying my 9's I don't need spares...

http://i762.photobucket.com/albums/xx269/OldLincoln/Misc/StiltExtendedMags.gif

Kidding... I carry 1 gun and a couple spares in a modified pant pocket.

Diocoles
04-22-2011, 12:25 PM
Single stack - always carry an extra on the belt.
2 in my pack.

Doublestack, extra in the pack.
Once in a while I'll carry an extra doublestack on my hip.

eklipto101
04-22-2011, 12:34 PM
I do and I use a Galco Quick Magazine Carrier.
http://i52.tinypic.com/ojfpu1.jpg
Regards,
Greg

I like that.:roll:

Rainman48314
04-22-2011, 06:51 PM
Could one of you verteran PM9 owners guide me to the best deal on mags. I want two more, probably 6 round type

bigbob68
04-22-2011, 07:18 PM
Usually not. I carry a S&W 442 or Glock 19. I did notice that the mags for my T9 have a tendancy to pop rounds out if carried in a pocket or if it gets bumped.

Cornel
04-22-2011, 07:22 PM
Yeap!!

Have 2 6-rds and 2 7-rds. Just to have extra ammo, just in case a follower breaks and for mags rotation.

Although only carry 1 extra of 7 rds and on the CW45 the 6rds+1

Recycooler
04-23-2011, 09:19 AM
they are out of the .45,s but their prices are good.
http://www.cdnninvestments.com/kahrmags.html

jlottmc
04-25-2011, 06:54 AM
I carry two, and usually keep them in my back left pocket pocket, with the brass to the grass. Haven't had an issue with any of my weapons, Kahrs included. My wife carries one extra, and it's either in her rear pocket, or in her purse holster with the gun. Yes, I'm trying to get her to carry more on body.

steve666
04-25-2011, 07:53 AM
I usually carry 2 spare mags in a pouch on my belt.

eaglefrq
04-25-2011, 02:28 PM
I carry 1 spare in a Blackhawk mag carrier, but I've noticed that the first round is sometimes loose and the angle is messed up. I really like the looks of the Galco QMC, do you have any problems with the first round?