PDA

View Full Version : Federal BPLE 115gr 9mm +P+ in the K9

TheGreatGonzo
04-23-2011, 10:34 AM
I spent some time at the range yesterday with both the K9 and the MK9. I was trying to some different ammunition to see how they varied in accuracy and recoil. I fired about 30 rounds of the Federal 115-grain +P+ through the K9. For those not familiar with this round, it has an excellent track record on the street. Well, the recoil was not as stout as you might think. What was impressive, however...was the MUZZLE FLASH! Holy smokes. Even in a fully lit indoor range, it looked like firing a 125-grain .357 Magnum from a 2" revolver. It lit up everything. Accuracy was outstanding.
Gonzo

Kahrson
04-24-2011, 06:14 AM
I thought the K9 was rated up to +P only. Although I'm sure a few rounds of the +P+ will not cause any harm not so sure about excessive use of it though.

Narkcop
04-25-2011, 07:23 PM
I think the 9mm Federal 9bple plus P Plus runs around 1170 fps. I DON'T CONSIDER THAT PLUS P PLUS. HECK REGULAR 9MM SHOULD RUN THAT FAST IF THEY WOULD LOAD IT RIGHT

TheGreatGonzo
04-30-2011, 04:10 PM
I've seen figures ranging from 1170 to 1300. I don't worry too much about shooting limited amounts of it through the steel frame K9. I would not feed it a steady diet of thousands of rounds of the BPLE, but I also would not do that in any other 9mm. And as far as carry goes, it has a great street record in law enforcement shootings.
Gonzo

ScotP7
01-08-2016, 06:17 PM
Searching around about Federal BPLE in K9's.
I love my K9's, and love 9mm BPLE +P+, but in testing it out as a possible carry round in my nicely broken in Elite 03, I had two FTF's (one in one magazine, one in another magazine), in 100 rounds.
Not good.
Any others with experience with BPLE reliability?
I am bummed.

muggsy
01-08-2016, 06:28 PM
The reason that no manufacturer okays +P+ is because there is no SAAMI spec for +P+ ammo. While shooting +P+ probably won't damage your gun why take a chance. If your gun does fail with +P+ your warranty just went out the window. Standard pressure ammo will kill someone just as dead as +P+ and you won't be blinded by the muzzle flash at night. +P ammo is approved by Kahr.

leftysixty
01-08-2016, 07:17 PM
In another lifetime I fired a lot of the 9BPLE, it was my duty ammo and it did not seem to hurt the Glock that I carried. (sorry my Kahr is a CW40 and will work with any .40 ammo that I have come across)

Just say'n :cool:

harrydog
01-12-2016, 06:15 PM
The reason that no manufacturer okays +P+ is because there is no SAAMI spec for +P+ ammo. While shooting +P+ probably won't damage your gun why take a chance. If your gun does fail with +P+ your warranty just went out the window. Standard pressure ammo will kill someone just as dead as +P+ and you won't be blinded by the muzzle flash at night. +P ammo is approved by Kahr.
The HK45 is is approved for +P+ ammo use.

muggsy
01-13-2016, 04:52 AM
The HK45 is is approved for +P+ ammo use.

Could you provide a link as to where that information came from? I'm a skeptic.

berettabone
01-13-2016, 08:51 AM
From the HK45 manual..........................." Currently there are no known .45 ammunition types that are not compatible with the HK pistols with the exception of some light match grade wadcutter loads that provide insufficient recoil impulse to reliably operate the HK45. All HK45 pistols are approved for the use with +p and +p+ ammunition. The use of +p and +p+ does accelerate wear and reduce the service life on the components of any pistol, including the HK45." The USP models state the same.

muggsy
01-13-2016, 09:11 AM
Since there is no SAAMI spec for +P+ is HK saying that they will replace your gun if it blows up due to an ammo manufacturers error? Sure sounds like it.

berettabone
01-13-2016, 09:50 AM
It's a very rare occurrence indeed that any HK blows up for any reason. I don't believe that there has been any recalls on any of their pistols. That's why they get the big bucks for them. Unlike some other manufacturers. Ahem. Anyone who can afford one, or hasn't experienced shooting one, should /try one. Best handguns out there IMHO of course.:o Does anyone replace a firearm do to faulty ammo?

berettabone
01-13-2016, 09:59 AM
" H&K will not warranty any firearm that has used faulty, non standard, remanufactured or reloaded ammo not to sami/nato specifications."

qmdv
01-13-2016, 10:21 AM
If there is a muzzle flash does that not meen that some of the gunpowder is still burning after the projectile left the muzzle. Wasn't that a waste of gunpowder. That is unless you lake flash and noise. We all do I guess.

Tim