PDA

View Full Version : IWB holster question

aray
04-26-2011, 12:37 PM
I'm going to need a new IWB holster for my CW9 and I have a quick question to those of you more experienced in wearing these. I just don't get a lot of CCW experience living in a non-carry state so I can use the help.

So far my only CCW holster has been IWB and in my case the clip goes over both the pants and the belt, so to conceal it I have to wear the shirt tail out. That's been fine because most of the time in my non-work hours I like to have my shirt tail out anyway.

However once in a blue moon I'd like to CCW with the shirt tucked in. I know there are clips (I think they're called J-clips) that allows for this.

So here's my questions: Standard clips would transfer the weight of the gun to both the pants and the belt whereas I'm guessing J-clips transfer the weight directly to the pants at one localized point or area only. Does this weight distribution difference cause the pants to sag more? And if not, then why aren't all holsters designed with J-clips so that you have the option to go either way all of the time? Are there any differences between the two other than tuckability?

OldLincoln
04-26-2011, 01:34 PM
Jhooks do transfer the weight to your pants. With tuckable hooks as most are these days it may not be as bad as you think. As an alternative to jhooks you can get the velcro hooks and matching patches that go inside the belt. That keeps the weight on the belt. ALL hooks will have that tiny part that goes over the pant show but again, nobody notices.

BEARDOG
04-26-2011, 01:35 PM
SEE Q5....http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/FAQs/tabid/54/Default.aspx

You have mail...:)

deadhead1971
04-26-2011, 02:48 PM
Well, for only about $15, I tried a IWB tuckable holster and hated it. Glad I only spent $15. http://acecase.com/tuck-able-holster-leather.html

I pocket carry but the CW9 may be a little too big for that. Here is what I found...

1) If you use a IWB, you need pants a size larger than what you wear. I could barely squeeze the IWB in, but it was so tight and uncomfortable. I did get 1 pair of pants a size up and tried it, and it was much better.....but

2) The gun grip dug into my ribs. If I got another IWB, I would get one where the grip rubbed up against a leather background and not bare skin.

3) Standing up was not too bad, but sitting down/driving was absolutely uncomfortable.

All that said, I only tried the $15 Ace tuckable IWB.

O'Dell
04-26-2011, 04:42 PM
I've got a drawer full of IWB holsters representing hundreds of $'s. The only one that is halfway comfortable and the only one that I ever wear is the Remora, and then only with a thin pistol like a Kahr or LCP.

aray
04-26-2011, 10:39 PM
Thanks, this helps.

Goldstar225
04-28-2011, 08:06 AM
I've used IWB holsters for several years. I bought a crossbreed last fall and regard it as the best I've had. I started out using the standard clips and it worked just fine, even when wearing my shirts tucked in. The only person who could tell I was armed was a fellow officer who also uses a CBST, he spotted the clips, everyone else was oblivious.

I recently ordered and received a velcro lined belt from crossbreed with the "v-clips". That's total concealment AFAIC. With the v-clips the belt carries the weight of the gun.

The best advice I can give you for IWB carry is to purchase your pants 2" larger than normal.

Willieboy
04-28-2011, 02:20 PM
Hey Ray,

I don't believe that having J Hooks necessarily assures you have a tuckable holster. J Hooks are just another mounting option.

Like O'Dell, I have a drawer full of holsters I don't use for one reason or another. While I like concept of a tuckable holster, I have not had great success with them. The best one I have found thus far is the Ehud from Dale Fricke. It has two J Hooks and that seems to provide a little more stability in the AIWB position. However, the tuckable option is still, well, suckable.

My thinking is, with a heavier gun, it's good to balance the weight between two mounting points. The MTAC, CTAC, Crossbreed line, etc. are examples of holsters with two mounting points. I carry a Glock 26 in a Milt Sparks VM2 and, while maybe it's a little bit of overkill with the G26, the VM2 with its two mounting points provides a very stable platform.

I have several holsters for IWB carry for the PM9 that have only one mounting point and they allow the gun to shift its position, in one case to the point where the grip becomes partially inaccessible. This holster comes from a BIG name maker too and that was really disappointing.

I'm still searching for the perfect PM9 holster. I have a Silent Thunder on order for the PM9 and I think that one may put me in Pig Heaven.

gagnejs8
04-28-2011, 06:15 PM
I carry my PM9 in a CBMT and love it.

jimbar
05-02-2011, 07:55 PM
I have tried, and while I like the concept, ...just can't do it. I have always worn my pants snug fitting. I can't stand loose fitting jeans, or slacks.
I just returned a DeSantis sof-tuck to Midway, luckily they are really good about that.That's my last attempt. I wear jeans almost every day, and usually wear a tee shirt tucked in, and another shirt over that, untucked, even in summer, (hey, I live in the northwest), we don't know about hot, humid days ;).
I have discovered that I can put my CW9 tucked inside the waistband, no holster, at 2o'clock position, butt facing forward, and it's secure, and comfortable, and virtually undetectable. I can retrieve it as fast as when in my Bianchi OWB. Some states require ccw's be in an actual holster, but not where I live.
I have a shoulder holster on order, we'll see how that will work,(for when riding my motorcycle).

kahrking
05-02-2011, 08:38 PM
ARAY,

I also have a box on top of my safe full of holsters and I have found there is no one holster that works all the time in every situation.

I found an IWB with a standard clip or snap loops woks best most of the time. The J clips didn’t work as they are not necessarily tuckable and didn’t hold the weight the way I needed. When I needed tuckability I use a pocket holster for my PM40 and P380, I have several pocket holsters with and without the pocket hook (suede leather and only $35.00 custom made for the Kahrs).

You might keep in mind that your belt choice is as important as your holster. I you do not have a true 1.5" or 1.75" gun belt you are starting off on the wrong foot. I never realized the HUGE difference it made! I now have about 6 of them different widths, colors and styles.

Let me know if you would like some pics and Ill post them.