PDA

View Full Version : Broke in my CW9 today

Chief Joseph
12-04-2009, 10:45 PM
Finally took advantage of the dry but cold weather we've been having and drove out to the forest to brake in the CW9 I bought last month.
Put 200 Remington FMJ and one mag of Winchester Ranger LE +p 124g. Flawless, not one hiccup. Did most of my shooting from 20 feet and at a fairly rapid fire. Was alone and didn't want to be up there too close to dark. Gun was very accurate. The thing that struck me the most was the low felt recoil, I was amazed. 207 rounds and my hands felt great, no sore at the base of my thumb that my PM9 and Sigma sw9ve give me. This gun will be perfect for my wife. I was afraid to get her a PM9 because it really snaps when I shoot it. My only concern is the guide rod is showing a lot of wear, after only 207 rounds. I checked for other wear, but it seems to only be the guide rod. If this is normal, please let me know. My PM9 has a different guide rod altogether and my sigma is plastic. I'd hate to have to send it for repair already.

Fenderman
12-05-2009, 01:51 AM
Guide rod wear is normal and will not affect function its just cosmetically ugly mine looked bad after 100rds.You can sand the blue off of it or purchase a Stainless Steel guide rod from Kahr thats what i did.It has worked great.My Cw9 now has over 750rds.through the pipe and no malfunctions at all and SS guide rod only shows a few marks still slick to the touch.Glad to hear your CW9 performed well in it's first outing.

Jim K
12-05-2009, 06:26 AM
Congratulations for your CW9. I think you will like it even better as time goes on.

I have a P9 and the guide rod looks beat up also. I don't think it's an issue and Fenderman gives good advice if you don't like the beat up look. Kahr has excellent product support if you need parts or service. Give them a call, I think you will agree.

200 rounds w/o a problem is a good test. That's how it should be IMO.
I have several thousand rounds thru my P9 w/o problems (after it was fixed). I was about to give up on mine after several hundred rounds but now it is my favorite CCW.

The CW and P series pistols have the perfect size and weight for concealed carry or back up gun. I feel like something is missing now if I don't carry it.

Good luck and stay safe, Jim K

Instinct
12-05-2009, 08:56 AM
I recently purchased a new CW9 also that showed wear on the guide rod after the first 100 rounds. So this very common?
SST Guide Rod were do you get one?

wagon
12-05-2009, 10:59 AM
KahrShop. Just follow the linky on top of this web page. Happy shopping.

I recently purchased a new CW9 also that showed wear on the guide rod after the first 100 rounds. So this very common?
SST Guide Rod were do you get one?

jocko
12-05-2009, 04:59 PM
KahrShop. Just follow the linky on top of this web page. Happy shopping.

otta see my guide rod on my LCP. looks like I could trhead a nut on it but it has never failed me in over 1000 rounds.

If u feel uncomforatbhle call kahr and they will probably send you another guide rod but it will do the same. It is a normal wear area. as when the slide retracks the barrel is canting and the guide rod is to and those recoil springs are rubbing on the guide rod. I on my LCP just took the guide rod and chucked it up on a drill and polisehd it with some 800+ grit auto sand paper. Helped the looks alot but beng it never gave me the first issue anyhow, I can't say i Helped it any either, than maybe peace of mind.