PDA

View Full Version : CW9 break in

Paladin
04-30-2011, 02:55 PM
Read a review of the Kahr CW series which slammed them because of their need for a break in. The review said guns should not require a break in period and they wouldn't buy any gun that did. Personally, I don't see this as an issue. Hey, my car came with a warning not to drive at high speeds for the first 500 miles, to allow the engine and drive train to break in. This didn't stop me from buying my car, and it's not going to stop me from buying a gun. So I have to shoot a few rounds to get it broken in. Big deal.

Oh, and on the subject of break in, I gave my Kahr CW9 my patented pre-shooting break in drill. I sat and watched a movie and racked the slide continuously. Hundreds of times. Then I gave it a good cleaning. This accomplishes two things. It makes the action noticeably lighter and smoother. And it drives the wife out of the room. It's tedious, true. But it accomplishes much of the break in without firing a shot. I firmly believe this is one reason I haven't had a failure with it, even during the break in period. As I said, I've done this on many guns, and I think it goes a long way toward improving the out-of-the-box reliability of any gun.

MW surveyor
04-30-2011, 04:05 PM
Paladin

I broke mine in the same way that you did yours and have never had a problem with it since day one. I think for a gun like the CW9, the action has been generally well proven. I also believe that Kahr recommends the 200 round not really for break in, if you do the slide rack, pre first firing cleaning and lubing, but to more or less prove to yourself that the gun will operate with what ever rounds you put through it. Or if you don't do the pre first shoot route, then it really is to get some slide wear in.

jlottmc
04-30-2011, 04:29 PM
What he said ^^.

Bill K
04-30-2011, 04:53 PM
I've read a number of times on several different sites about Kimber recommending a 24 shot break-in for their new Solo. If this is true then I guess it makes it an 8 times better gun than the Kahr CW9. :)

Bill K.

rkirk
04-30-2011, 05:18 PM
Good plan,

Congratulations, on the new Kahr, enjoy the CW9! I have 900+ trouble free rounds through mine.

-- Richard

Jim K
04-30-2011, 05:18 PM
Add 200 rounds to the cost of the firearm. If it fails within that 200 round trial then lather, rinse, repeat. Do the troubleshooting then return to the mothership for possible fix. Lather, rinse, repeat.
Maybe I should not fire my pistol at a high rate of speed for the first 500 rounds?
I prefer firearms that work right outta the box. I have quite a few that are. Some folks are good with the "breakin" thing, that's good for them.
Go shoot a couple of boxes of ammo to prove any pistol. Don't accept one that does not function. Don't drink the koolaid.

Regards, Jim K

TheTman
04-30-2011, 05:32 PM
My friend's Kimber Ultra Carry II says to put something like 500 rounds through it before you consider it broke in and reliable. I personally think ALL semi's need at least a couple hundred, preferably 500 before I would conceal carry them, I don't care if they're Glock, Springfield, Beretta, S&W, whatever. Semi's need a few hundred rounds in my opinion for parts to mate up and get to the point I'll consider them reliable enough for carry. I admit some of the guns are loose enough you COULD probably take em out of the box and carry them. But I am not risking my life on a gun that hasn't proven itself with a few hundred trouble free rounds. I did start carrying the CW40 after a little less than 400 rounds, but it was really shooting well with no problems, other than one wide mouth HP bumped the slide stop. Dropped the mag, tapped it on the table and put it back in and it and the next mag with the same brand cartridges ran fine.
Went to the gun show today, was really looking for some ammo, but didn't find what I was looking for, was kind of a punk show, about half the vendors as the bigger ones. Only had a couple of ammo dealers, and they didn't have what I was looking for, (Federal Hi-Shok 185gr). Picked up another mag for the .45. Bought the K725 instead of the K725G with it's extended base pad. Was having trouble with the K725G's feeding reliably. I sure don't see much difference between the two loaded mags. Both let the top bulllet tip up a little, so going to do more testing. At first it looked like the "G" mags were not letting the top cartridge tip up like the other mags do, and I thought the feed lips were at a little different angle, but now comparing the two, they look about the same. Just have to see how they perform at the range.

jocko
04-30-2011, 05:47 PM
if u buy a new gun expect to SHOOT it, call it what u want, break in, range time, time away from wife, or what ever. THETMAQNSKI: Para toldme the same thing withmyh carry (, call um back after 500 rounds if I am still having issues. I never had to call um. I didn't particulary like their answer to me but I live with it and it proved out in my case to be OK. Some are just gonna need to go back but one has to eliminate allthe possables, and shooter error is certainly one of them. I have to tip my hat to PaiN for his report on his POS 45 kahr that he felt he bought used and was nothing but trouble , only to find out that i quite possable could be the shooter this time. He could have said nadda and let us all believe indeed he bought a used POS, which possably is not true.

I just feel a gun and a shooter need to mate up to be a good working combination and one can all it anyhing he wants in the mean time until he feels it is good to go. I have over 30,000+ rounds thorugh my PM9, so why am I still shooting it like I stole it?? Because a gun is reliable is that a reason to not shoot it. I don';t equate rounds down range as wasted dollars. Gun shooting is not a cheap ass sport. It is a part of ownig and shooting a gun. A perrfect gun can go south on the very next shot. Thats where the mechqanicaql thing comes into play..

stringfellow
04-30-2011, 07:45 PM
This accomplishes two things. It makes the action noticeably lighter and smoother. And it drives the wife out of the room.

That's funny.

A few weeks after buying an RIA 1911, my wife asked me if I knew what that metallic clicking sound was that would go on for hours in the evening...

:rolleyes:

MW surveyor
05-01-2011, 04:30 AM
When I got my CW9, it was rack, click, rack, click, rack, click. Wife had the same reaction. "What is/was that noise" LOL

gear_guy
05-01-2011, 06:01 AM
My wife and I took turns doing the rack, click, rack, click over the course of few nights.

It was a great excuse to sit, talk shop about guns, and watch some Netflix.

We will be doing another round of it this week when the second PM9 comes in.

I don't see why anyone would be dead set against a break in period. Even during the break in there were zero gun related malfunctions.

jocko
05-01-2011, 08:48 AM
Most break in periods produce zero malfunctions. Most also accept the break in for what it is. Moving surfaces mateing up.

Jim K
05-01-2011, 11:14 AM
Gimme one of those pistols that have ZERO malfunctions during "break in". If you try to explain away malfunctions by stating that parts have to mate up then it appears that those parts did not fit from the get-go. That tolerance explaination doesn't get it either. If the parts are held to tolerance then they should FIT. If the parts fit then the pistol should function.
I'll take an ugly gun that functions over a pretty one that needs "break in".

Shoot alot. Shoot often. The half life of pistol proficiency is measured in weeks if not days. I have no time for QA work the manufacturer expects me to do on it's behalf. When I plop down premium price I expect 100% functionality, 0% malfunctions.

Of course, if your OK with the party line then go for it. It's your money.

Good Luck, Jim K

jocko
05-01-2011, 11:21 AM
I figured that would your comment...But as u know fully to,, what you expect is not always what you get either.

Jim K
05-01-2011, 04:36 PM
Deminished expectations. Heavy sigh.
I remember my time in Brasil. You had to test light bulbs before purchase to be sure you got one that works. Folks down there at that time were good with that because that's what they expected. That's all they could get.
Sorry, Khar makes a great pistol if you get one that works. I expect all of them to function. That "try me" stuff don't get it.

Good Luck, Jim K

jocko
05-01-2011, 05:02 PM
It must in brazil...

SmokingGun
05-01-2011, 06:21 PM
What's the big deal? - would anyone not put a few hundred rounds through a gun before trusting their life to it!?

I looked forward to and enjoyed the first 200 round range session - learning the gun, the trigger, etc.

KAHR makes an excellent product!

Shoot 'em if you got 'em!

Jim K
05-01-2011, 07:50 PM
No problem with the 200 round thing. I want to know if my weapon is reliable. The pistol should go bang for every one of those 200 rounds. Shooting to make it function is just silly.
Khars are excellent if you get one that works. Patience is a virtue I don't have after shelling out top dollar for a project pistol.
If Kahr guarantees 100% functionality or your money back then I will probably take a chance with them again. Till then I'll spend my time and money shooting pistols that don't need "break in".

Regards, Jim K

tconroy
05-02-2011, 06:32 AM
A revolver has the same effect on Women too!! If I buy a pair of cheap tennis shoes they dont need a break in and they also dont last 3 months. A nice pair of leather dress shoes and you better carry a spare pair of shoes with you cause your gonna need them. Does that make sense??:confused:

JCP281
05-02-2011, 07:42 AM
When I got my CW9, it was rack, click, rack, click, rack, click. Wife had the same reaction. "What is/was that noise" LOL

Same here. :D

Tilos
05-02-2011, 10:00 AM
At what point does the breaking in stop and the wearing out start?

just scentin'
Tilos

Like buying a prestretched mc chain:confused:.

Paladin
05-02-2011, 10:26 AM
Ok, I'll jump back in. I'm already bruised up. Might as well go for it.

And I'll just ask a question. How many married people here married their spouse......without dating them first?

jocko
05-02-2011, 10:36 AM
nice paladin,

oint, match, set,,,game

noiw I have in my earlier years been drunk enough in a a bar to want to marry the first nice gal that walked into the door UNTIL I woke up the next morning and found out she was so coyote ugly, that I didn't want to wake her and had my arm under her head, so I chewed my arm off. Does that count for any credit..