PDA

View Full Version : I've got the bug.

Chief Joseph
05-01-2011, 11:35 AM
I thought after getting my CM9 I would be satisfied, but.... Now that I have a CW9, PM9 and CM9, I'm starting to think I want a little more firepower for the Gorge, Silver Falls and other camping/hiking stuff we do. Been floating the idea of selling either my CW9 or (gasp) my beloved PM9 since I have the CM9, and buy a Glock 23. I thought about a CW40 or CW45, but the 23 has 13 rounds. I would only take it when camping, hiking and carry it in my holster fanny pack like I used to carry my sigma 9. Other than that it would be my next to bed gun. So sell the pm, which I could probably get close to an even swap for a 23, or sell my CW and fork out another 150 cash. Any advice appreciated.

TucsonMTB
05-01-2011, 12:00 PM
If possible, I would buy the replacement first. It should be easier to decide after playing with the Glock.

Yes, there is a chance that used PM prices will go down. But, CM prices already seem to be near enough to CW prices that you shouldn't lose much value. Given the way Glocks hold their value, you shouldn't lose much if you reverse yourself there either.

When I lose interest in a a piece, I tend to cull the herd quickly myself . . . But, usually after some experience with the replacement. ;)

mr surveyor
05-01-2011, 04:33 PM
not trying to talk you out of the glock, but I would opt for a good quality revolver in either .357 mag or .44 mag for a dedicated trail gun. My day to day routine has me "hiking" and cutting trails pretty often, and I find a lot of comfort with even the 5 round SP101... especially during snake season (about 10 months of the year in my neck of the woods). I carry the front two rounds with snake shot followed by three rounds of hot hardball. The GP 100 would be my real choice just to gain the extra round, but the SP101 carries and conceals really well. Although I would rarely carry it, I would love to have a Super Redhawk in .44 magnum. That would be my ultimate choice for a trail gun, especially if larger threats, such as bear, were prevelent.

I just don't like to carry semi-auto handguns when I get off into the booger weeds.

surv

bonjorno2
05-01-2011, 04:49 PM
the glock 23 is a excellent weapon, make sure to get a extended slide release asap to make it a bit easier to operate!

MW surveyor
05-01-2011, 05:32 PM
I'm kinda with mr surveyor on this one. If you don't have a great big honkin revolver, get one! Seriously, a 357 or larger will take out some really big animals (2 and 4 legged). Kinda limited in capacity but how many tactical reloads do you think that you're gonna make?

bonjorno2
05-01-2011, 05:36 PM
sorry guys, but a 5 shot as a bedside is not my cup of tea!

MW surveyor
05-01-2011, 05:40 PM
Not mine either as I have a 19 round CZ sittin there.

I think that we were just trying to get an alternate pistol in there that is good for a woods gun.

HadEmAll
05-01-2011, 05:49 PM
For any outdoor use, you have to picture what you'd do if you get caught in a deluge or other situation (rolled canoe/kayak) where the pistol gets totally saturated.

A Glock is pretty easy to tear completely down, clean up, dry out, and get back together again. Of course, so is the SP101/GP100 to a slightly lesser degree.

I struggle with this every time I head for the boonies. I usually make my decision based on the number of humans I estimate I might come across. SP101/GP100 for limited numbers, some full capacity 9mm/.40/.45 when I expect more. South Texas doesn't have many large dangerous mammals. But it's got a lot of "tourists" headed north.

Bill K
05-01-2011, 06:12 PM
I kinda also agree with MW surveyor .44 mag, etc. However ifin its a semi you want then perhaps the 10mm Glock 20 @ 16 rounds or Glock 29 @ 11 rounds would fit the bill. I've read that there are folks that have chosen these 10mm Glocks as their trail/woods gun.

I only have a PM9 but would suggest, if you must get rid of one Kahr, that it be the PM9 or CM9 that you have. Reason being is that they're so close to each other as to be considered pretty much the same gun.

Bill K.

jocko
05-01-2011, 06:20 PM
not gonna start a new thread for this, so I am just gonna horn in with a question:

What do you guys think of the corbon glaser silver tip rounds??? Has anyone shot them??? They are not snake shot as u know snake shot but a jacketed round with a nylon nose cap and under it full of #6 shot but backed by a full cased brass light casing. Not meant to shoot through walls etc, that is all I have read on it. not cheap either, certainly not a plinker round. I don't think it is a just a WOUNDER type round either but a killer round just not madefor stuff like wall or window penetration purposes. Supposably made for the air line sky marshalls.

Try to give me opinions of fact and not here say as that is what I am basicaly saying with the above info. talking 9mm to and 38 spl.

thanks

TheTman
05-01-2011, 06:51 PM
If there are bears in your area that you like to camp in, or wild hogs, I'd want a .44 mag revolver with a couple of speedloaders, my personal choice of a trail gun used to be the 4" S&W 629 (Mine is the 6" model but would work), but since I boycott them nowadays, except for used older weapons, I'd probably go with Ruger's offerings in that category. As far as a bed gun, to me nothing beats a shotgun. I keep my 870 youth model 20 on the floor besides the bed at night, and within a step are several handguns and in the closet out of sight are couple rifles with large capacity mags. I don't keep a pillow gun as I move around too much in my sleep. I hope the sound of the racking of the shotgun will persuade anyone trying to break in that they've picked the wrong place.
The .44 mag has too much recovery time for me to keep bedside. And has a great deal of muzzle flash. It spends most of the time locked in my brother's gun safe as I consider it irreplaceble, and my most valuable and accurate handgun. My brother has the safe and a security system and I feel better with it there than I do keeping it at my place. I've been thinking about putting it in a safety deposit box or something, but I like it over at my brothers where I can go show it some love now and then.

jocko
05-01-2011, 06:53 PM
up ut that word in there, so I will bite. why did you boycott them!!

Chief Joseph
05-01-2011, 06:56 PM
I thought about the revolver, but the reason I was thinking 23 was the extra rounds. A revolver still only gets me 5-6 rounds. I thought about the 10mm too, but here in northwestern oregon, there's no poisonous snakes, no large bears, but we have black bear and cougar. I would rather have more rounds. I was leaning toward a glock 29, but the ammo is so expensive, store shelf has them for 28.99 for 50. For the creatures that are a threat here, I think a hot .40 would do the job and having 13 with an extra mag would allow me some misses and still have some left to hit with.

bonjorno2
05-01-2011, 07:25 PM
like i said before get the 23... the 40 cal is what most law enforcement is carrying now a days

ltxi
05-01-2011, 07:42 PM
I thought after getting my CM9 I would be satisfied, but.... Now that I have a CW9, PM9 and CM9, I'm starting to think I want a little more firepower for the Gorge, Silver Falls and other camping/hiking stuff we do. Been floating the idea of selling either my CW9 or (gasp) my beloved PM9 since I have the CM9, and buy a Glock 23. I thought about a CW40 or CW45, but the 23 has 13 rounds. I would only take it when camping, hiking and carry it in my holster fanny pack like I used to carry my sigma 9. Other than that it would be my next to bed gun. So sell the pm, which I could probably get close to an even swap for a 23, or sell my CW and fork out another 150 cash. Any advice appreciated.

My PM9, LW Colts Officers ACP, S&W 442, and NAA .22 mag are concealed carry weapons. Bedside are our tuned S&W 3" K-Frames. Beyond that, our multiple Glocks...23s and 27...are "appliance" semi-automatics. Car console, open carry or not trail hiking and off road, ground travel luggage, Florida house leave behind, whatever. Relatively cheap, accurate, totally reliable, and indestructible.

Since you asked for advice....buy a G23 and shoot it. Then decide how it best fits. Also consider carefully before using one as a night stand gun. Think about the safety complications of sleepy and a short travel trigger with essentially no safety. That's why wife and I use K-Frames and the 870 stands with safety off but chamber unloaded.

TheTman
05-01-2011, 08:08 PM
Jocko,
I quit buying Smith and Wesson when they kissed Clinton's a$$ back in the 90's. They made some deal with the gubmint to add the locks and stuff to their guns and got all political correct. I think they got immunity from persecution in return. I don't remember all the details. I guess Bill Ruger did something similiar and remember people boycotting them for awhile. I just don't like the new S&W revolvers where a key can disable it. I got enough damn keys to keep track of already. Probably never lock the thing if I got one, but sure enough if I did I'd end up losing the key.
Never really been impressed with their semi's so I just quit buying their products.
I know a lot of agencies started carrying S&W handguns once they kissed Clinton's a$$. I think that was part of the deal too. Basically they just pissed me off and I never wanted any more of their products. Let me clarify that, I don't care for any of their new products. Guns made back before the 92 are fine with me. I still really want a one of their stainless model 686 stainless steel .357's from the 80's, and some the older revolvers.

mr surveyor
05-01-2011, 08:34 PM
If I'm shooting a critter in the field that needs shootin', I want a heck of a thump and plenty of penetration. The frangible rounds ain't got it' As for whether it's frangible, particles or shot pellets behind a frangible tip, it's not going to perform any better on "mr. no shoulders" than a hardball round, unless you near-miss and the schrapnel from the disintegrating projectile "barks" the booger. I actually put away a snake in my front flower bed last year with a 158 gr jhp by accident (actually negligence). I had forgotten that I loaded the jhp's ahead of the snake rounds earlier in the day (was working in a hog infested creek bottom) and blew a pretty good chunk of the wife's lava rock into powder. Didn't realize what happened until I picked up the snake to check for the devastation, only to find a few small incisions along it's side. It seems that I "barked" him with tiny bits of lava rock. Our main critter threats are ferral hogs (which normally move on unless you happen to get between an old sow and her litter) and rabid animals, and snakes that you just don't want to share your work space with. I figure the revolver can handle those needs fine.

If I had reason to expect a problem with "unvited guests" of the two legged variety, and being in Texas, a long gun would be on the list.

surv

Bawanna
05-01-2011, 08:58 PM
Jocko,
I quit buying Smith and Wesson when they kissed Clinton's a$$ back in the 90's. They made some deal with the gubmint to add the locks and stuff to their guns and got all political correct. I think they got immunity from persecution in return. I don't remember all the details. I guess Bill Ruger did something similiar and remember people boycotting them for awhile. I just don't like the new S&W revolvers where a key can disable it. I got enough damn keys to keep track of already. Probably never lock the thing if I got one, but sure enough if I did I'd end up losing the key.
Never really been impressed with their semi's so I just quit buying their products.
I know a lot of agencies started carrying S&W handguns once they kissed Clinton's a$$. I think that was part of the deal too. Basically they just pissed me off and I never wanted any more of their products. Let me clarify that, I don't care for any of their new products. Guns made back before the 92 are fine with me. I still really want a one of their stainless model 686 stainless steel .357's from the 80's, and some the older revolvers.

That fiasco is way old news and we all boycotted them for a long long time. Theres a new owner since then and they've more than made up for that little Clinton love fest. I'm not nuts about the darn keys either, hate em and like you I prefer the old stuff anyhow but they got some darn nice stuff out there worth looking at. Incidently I have a 629 pre ignition key 6" also. I got my son a 4" 629 but too late it has the durn key. Nice gun though. Put some ebony handles on it. Good for getting the dust out of the rafters at indoor ranges.
As much as all the big manufacturers are becoming conglomerates I got no problem supporting them as well as others as much as my other half will allow me.

Tilos
05-01-2011, 10:15 PM
I own a 23 and I'd be hard pressed to find it's original barrel if I needed it.
Once I dropped in the Storm Lake 9mm conversion barrel I've never switched back.

For pigs or bears my choice would be a GP100.
Most range time would be 38 and carry ammo would NOT be defense ammo made to stop HUMANS.
Living in Florida for awhile, where pigs are considered "pests", I've killed a few, and they are tough.
They have a shoulder "plate" that is like cartilage and hard to penetrate, with hard cast bullets being your best choice.

A GP100 can be stripped with just a coin (actually the screw slot is designed to use the rim of a case) to remove the grip screw.
Inside the grips is a pin to hold the hammer spring compressed for removal, then the trigger group,etc.
In fact all DA Rugers are built this way.

Another post chock full of useless info.
Tilos

Bawanna
05-01-2011, 10:26 PM
I can attest to Tilos description of how tough hogs are. Coming from a long line of hog farmers in my youth in Missouri I spent a great deal of time chasing herding and trying to make them go where they didn't really want to go.
I nearly destroyed my right hand early on smacking a porker in an attempt to encourage him. I might as well smacked a cinder block wall. They are like a brick.
My uncle had numerous zap sticks used to poke pigs with an electric shock to get them up shutes and stuff. The were all bent, every single one where somebody got mad and busted em over the head. Didn't hurt the hog one bit but sure ruined alot of hog zappers.

OldLincoln
05-01-2011, 10:35 PM
Wonder how many zappers you can tape together to up the power. Something on the level of a Taser should get their attention.