PDA

View Full Version : tul ammo

MERCTECH
05-03-2011, 07:03 AM
Anybody have any experience with it. From what I can find is its from russia. At 15.00 for 50 rounds of .45 is cheap. Its pretty much the only thing that I can find still in stock a wally world. So if no one buys it it must suck right?

Recycooler
05-03-2011, 07:08 AM
My experience has been this,my CW45 doesn't like it at all.It would not even seat all the way in the barrel breach.It is not worth the money,I still have a box of 50 here,hopefully I can trade it off for something.My .02 $

MERCTECH
05-03-2011, 07:29 AM
Thanks , I figured something was wrong.

Kahrson
05-03-2011, 08:52 AM
It has recently surfaced at the local Wally in 9mm. I haven't bought any due to hearing bad reports on it. I think it's very similar to Wolf. Some guns will run on it fine others won't. I don't get much in the way of ammo selection around here. It's either wwb or AE. Recently Gander was clearing out a bunch of different stuff so I purchased about 300 rounds of various rounds including Fiiochi, RWS, Winchester Nato. Just to mix in some different stuff to see how my guns would run on it. Had no problems with any of that stuff in any of my guns.

Paladin
05-03-2011, 09:01 AM
I don't touch the stuff. Two things you need to know about Tula ammo. First, the casing isn't brass, it's steel. After the pressure drops off, a brass cartridge will shrink slightly pulling away from the chamber walls. Steel doesn't. Makes for a difficult extraction. Hard on the action. And I've witnessed more than a few shooters putting a cleaning rod down the barrel and hitting it with a hammer trying to drive a stuck casing out of the chamber. The other thing is the bullet jacket. This is not copper as with most bullets. It is a copper/steel alloy. They put just enough copper in it to give it the color, but it's essentially steel. Steel doesn't want to push into the rifling very easily. Raises pressure and increases wear on the barrel. Also makes the gun run hotter. And, as if that isn't enough, it's dirty ammo. Plan on giving your gun a good cleaning if you use it.

MERCTECH
05-03-2011, 09:29 AM
Im going to be patient and get something else.

TheTman
05-03-2011, 09:48 AM
I save russian ammo for russian guns or variants there of.
Oh and that Wolf ammo is the pits. Wouldn't shoot it in any gun.

OldLincoln
05-03-2011, 03:08 PM
My indoor range checks all ammo carried in and if uncertain, will put a magnet to it testing for steel. Based on this thread, I suspect mine and other ranges will not allow it. I thought of this when a respected member here "bought some ammo" like a few pallets of ammo. Be my luck to do that and face restrictions.

MERCTECH
05-03-2011, 05:18 PM
So whats the deal about steel that ranges dont allow it.

gagnejs8
05-03-2011, 05:36 PM
I was in WM the other day getting some ammo, and a guy behind me specifically asked for that ammo. I've never used it, but according to comments here e must have one of the guns that it runs good in.

Pa Kahr
05-03-2011, 05:37 PM
Just about the worse ammo I have encountered. Used the 9mm in my Ruger and had nothing but problems. Not only did it not seat well, it didn't eject well when it fired and it left my gun a mess. I mean it took over two hours to get all the crud off. I would let Wally World keep it.

zebraD
05-04-2011, 07:24 AM
I have never used the stuff myself, but from what I hear it is no good. I tend to stay away from any steel cased ammo anyway.

JD Cowles
05-04-2011, 10:17 AM
the guy at wally world tried to sell me on it the other night. i said thanks but i'll stick to the Winchester WB even at 22.97/100.

ammo is the only damn thing in the store made in the USA!

green02crew
07-11-2011, 09:01 PM
I just ran about 100 rounds out of my PM9 for a qualification course. Ran flawless. Not a single issue. I also run it in my ar-15 for cost savings. Can't beat the prices and haven't had a single failure. Am I just a lucky one? If the ammo didn't work, how could they still be selling it and have it not in stock on cheaperthandirt half the time?

yqtszhj
07-11-2011, 09:17 PM
I shot 200+ rounds through a RIA 1911 .45 with ZERO problems. It was less than $14 a box shipped online so I bought 500 rounds.

They did have a bad batch about a year ago but I have had no problems in .45. Ordered 1 box of 9mm and may regret it. I'll post if it's bad stuff.

green02crew
07-11-2011, 09:22 PM
I already bought 2400 rounds (9mm and .223, 1200 of each). Going to get more for sure.

jreXD9
07-11-2011, 10:02 PM
it ran fine in my cw45 and runs fine in my Kimber .45, runs fine in the XDm9 and MK9.

wyntrout
07-11-2011, 10:35 PM
Our closest Super Center sells rifles and shotguns... most American made. Not many W-M's sell guns, though.

Besides the smoke and stink, the Wolf .45 FMJ shot OK, but I was worried about accelerated wear with steel cases AND gunk from the "polymer coating" on the cases burning onto the chamber.

Wynn:)

garyb
07-12-2011, 06:58 AM
Im going to be patient and get something else.

Before I started reloading I was ordering my ammo on line to find good deals on good ammo. You might want to pursue that avenue; OR simply start researching reloading. It is a great hobby and you can produce just what you like. Fun, inexpensive way to shoot lots. Try it.

LuckyGunner
07-12-2011, 07:19 AM
garyb +1 for reloading.

I shoot quite a bit of steel casing ammo when I can pick up my brass. I use the steel ammo as a test to see how reliable my firearms really are.

It's made at the same plant as the Wolf. So if you can use one reliably you can use the other.

TheTman
07-12-2011, 09:59 AM
I only use Russian ammo in Russian type guns, MAK-90, SKS, Makarov, etc. I'd particularly stay away from Wolf which has proved to be pretty unreliable in my experiences with it in a MAK 90, also a friend didn't like it in his Mini-30. Lots of pull the trigger and no bang.

jlottmc
07-12-2011, 11:06 AM
I have used Russian ammo for years, the only thing I noticed compared to WWB is that there is a little less pop. Haven't had any problems with it, I clean after I shoot anyway, and if it weren't for the range and their steel case bans would still be shooting it. I have commie guns, and it works fine in them, I have American guns and it works well in them too. Take it as you will.

O'Dell
07-12-2011, 01:06 PM
I've never used Russian ammo in any gun. I'll take the good-old American stuff every time with maybe some S&B or Fiocchi thrown in occasionally.

MERCTECH
07-12-2011, 05:22 PM
Well I never did buy any. So many said it wasnt good. Maybe if in a pinch and its the only one available I'll try it.

paul34
07-12-2011, 09:12 PM
Tul Ammo in 45 works well in my XD45.

My experience with Tul in 9 is different. I got about three FTFires in my CM9. Looked like light primer strikes, though? Kind of weird. They all fired the second time I loaded them. I don't know. This is the first time this has happened. Normally light primer strikes sound like a gun problem, but I've never experienced this issue with any other ammo. I fired about 20 rounds of HSTs in the same session and had zero issue with them.

I don't find Tul in 9 worth it, anyway. The Federal Champion at walmart is only about $1 more. You get brass cases for that extra dollar. I think ti is worth it.

For 45, the difference is more like $3-$4. More significant.

So whats the deal about steel that ranges dont allow it.

Ranges usually recycle or reload the spent casings they recover from the range. They don't like to go through picking out the steel casings, so some ban them. Some make up some pretty silly excuses about steel cased ammo being a huge hazard, or setting the range on fire, or some other nonsense. The real story is that they just don't want to pick through the spent casings as much.

Luckily, my local range has no issue with it.

Note I'm talking about steel cases. Some ammo have bullets with actual steel in them (instead of lead). These are banned more often. My local range bans them. They really chew up the backstop. Backstops are usually designed for lead and copper jacketed lead.

thatguytoo
01-28-2012, 05:10 PM
I recently bought a box of .45 ACP from Wally World for $14.97. Went to the range today, and first one in the magazine got stuck while chambering it. It took me about 15 minutes to get the slide far enough back to pull the slide pin out. I noticed that the bevel on the casing where the extractor grabs is really heavy also. I have shot Tul Ammo in my LC9, and my M&P 40 without a problem, my Kahr DOES NOT like it. I ended up giving the whole box to a guy next to me. Would not recommend trying it. Pay a few bucks more for made in USA, Remington worked flawlessly.

ltxi
01-28-2012, 06:00 PM

Ranges usually recycle or reload the spent casings they recover from the range. They don't like to go through picking out the steel casings, so some ban them. Some make up some pretty silly excuses about steel cased ammo being a huge hazard, or setting the range on fire, or some other nonsense. The real story is that they just don't want to pick through the spent casings as much.

Quite true. My local range guy is at least mostly up front about it. Told him he really just needs to get over it and/or invest in a decent magnet. Also told him the primary reason I shoot Al cased Blazer as my .40 practice ammo is to annoy him. He just threatens to charge me double for range time.

wyntrout
01-28-2012, 08:28 PM
WHY buy that stuff to save a dollar or two per box?? Brass is softer and "flows" sealing the chamber while steel doesn't. Steel is tough and unyielding, not what I want in my "precious" personal arms. The steel is usually coated with something to keep it from rusting... lacquer, or recently... some "polymer". Does this stuff build up in the chamber??

The steel cases aren't recyclable, though I've seen some reloaded. the aluminum cases of some Blazer ammo are at least recyclable. Buy American... cheap American brass-cased ammo that you or someone else can reuse. The Federal or WWB100 at Wally World are fine. MFS/Fiocchi are fine, though I've heard of problems with Fiocchi in the P380, I had no problem with MFS... made by Fiocchi in Ozark, MO, as is Herters.

I really look for deals and buy a bunch when my desired price is met, including shipping and no tax. I see no reason to buy steel-cased ammo. The last Wolf ammo I had... .45ACP was bought a decade ago and I thought that I would never get rid of that smoky, foul smelling crap.

Some of that imported stuff does have steel in the bullets and looks like incendiaries with sparks more like white phosphorous when it strikes the concrete floors ... very dangerous for indoors and wooden structures. Outdoors it could be dangerous, too, should it strike rock or stone near combustables.

I use a lot of Sellier and Bellot ammo... all calibers... well, maybe not .40 S&W, yet, when I find bargain prices. I'm always looking for deals, though, and don't wait until I'm low on something or out!

I know that a lot of you have more expenses than I, and are trying to save a buck here and there, but shoot good ammo... preferably made in America... or at least a large reputable manufacturer.

JMHO.

1radman
01-28-2012, 08:29 PM
Bad experience with squib load! Poor/no quality control...pay the extra $1 or $2 and get USA ammo!

tv_racin_fan
01-29-2012, 01:05 AM
The dis info is awesome.

Seriously.

tv_racin_fan
01-29-2012, 01:16 AM
Steel aint recyclable? Say what? If someone said it aint reloadable I could let that slide but steel aint recyclable? Come on..

The coating on the cases aint the issue.. it is the fact that the steel does not expand and seal the chamber as well and you get fouling in the chamber that can cause all sorts of issues in a tighter chamber that brass wont (mostly).

Now steel in the projectiles is an issue, tho it is a mild steel... and it aint the issue many think it is. UUMM gee good ole US made ammo has been steel core or bimetal jacket before without issue. That was due to availability of lead and copper.. they hadda make due with what they could. The issue is the backstop that ranges use some of them are very very expensive and they can not afford to have the steel eat em up which it does MUCH faster than lead n copper tho pure copper projectiles might be real real close.

The range we shoot at has water flowing down the face of the backstop for lead abatement.

wyntrout
01-29-2012, 09:36 AM
Reloading is recycling, but that used Rooski stuff doesn't amount to much mass for recycling. I'm sure that stuff winds up in the trash.

The first time I saw a notice about not using a certain type of ammo on the range for fear of fires, I saw some yahoos shooting what must have been that stuff on the far left of the range. It's easy to hit the concrete floor when shooting at targets midway to the end of the 15-yard range. Most of these rounds were hitting the floor and they threw sparks like a giant sparkler... quite pyrotechnic... looked like incendiary use of white phosphorous. It was a major deal because every shot was like that. I wish that I had gotten photos because I hadn't seen anything like that outside a fireworks display or incoming rounds in SEA.

Imagine a sparkler that sent sparks in a radius that filled the area between the floor, the ceiling, and the left wall. The guys were obviously enjoying themselves because they were shooting rapid fire and the sparks were unbelievable. I don't know why the shop/range owners didn't stop them.

Oh, the ammo was a "Sport" version of RWS... something like that... not steel-cased ammo.

thatguytoo
03-09-2012, 08:52 PM
Anyone use Speer Goldot 230gr short barrel ammo?

tilefish
03-13-2012, 08:06 PM
Reloading is recycling, but that used Rooski stuff doesn't amount to much mass for recycling. I'm sure that stuff winds up in the trash.

The first time I saw a notice about not using a certain type of ammo on the range for fear of fires, I saw some yahoos shooting what must have been that stuff on the far left of the range. It's easy to hit the concrete floor when shooting at targets midway to the end of the 15-yard range. Most of these rounds were hitting the floor and they threw sparks like a giant sparkler... quite pyrotechnic... looked like incendiary use of white phosphorous. It was a major deal because every shot was like that. I wish that I had gotten photos because I hadn't seen anything like that outside a fireworks display or incoming rounds in SEA.

Imagine a sparkler that sent sparks in a radius that filled the area between the floor, the ceiling, and the left wall. The guys were obviously enjoying themselves because they were shooting rapid fire and the sparks were unbelievable. I don't know why the shop/range owners didn't stop them.

Oh, the ammo was a "Sport" version of RWS... something like that... not steel-cased ammo.

Lol, I saw that very same scene once. It was like something out of a Harry Potter movie.

voodoo54
03-23-2012, 08:32 PM
Anybody have any experience with it. From what I can find is its from russia. At 15.00 for 50 rounds of .45 is cheap. Its pretty much the only thing that I can find still in stock a wally world. So if no one buys it it must suck right?
There's nothing wrong with tula or any russian ammo. It shoots just fine. It is a lot dirtier than brass ammo, but for plinking who cares? It just makes the second best part of shooting your pistol more fun.

fitpro
08-12-2012, 07:25 PM
I've run probably 10,000 rounds of steel-cased Russian ammo through multiple Glocks, Sigs, and AKs and .308 semis. I would say I've encountered malfunctions, none serious, on maybe 5 rounds per thousand...and that may be on the high side. Unless your gun just chokes on it, there is nothing wrong with Russian ammo in general. The only real problem I encountered was with one box of Monarch steel 7.62x39. It wasn't hot enough to cycle the AK and I tossed the box. I won't buy Monarch but Wolf, Tula, Silver and Brown Bear are all good to go.

Scoundrel
08-13-2012, 12:21 AM
I was in WM the other day getting some ammo, and a guy behind me specifically asked for that ammo. I've never used it, but according to comments here e must have one of the guns that it runs good in.

Some people prefer it because it's cheap. It's pretty much the only stuff one of my friends buys, because he doesn't make a lot of money. His Glock shoots the stuff just fine, so it works for him. Is it the best thing? Probably not. He's also decided that since Glocks are so marvelous and all, that he doesn't ever need to clean it. He treats it like an AK-47. He also owns one of those, by the way, and shoots steel stuff through it too. It's what he does. Me, I stick with brass casings and copper FMJ mostly. It's what I do.

So that stuff has a time and place. I have some of it myself, stored away for the zombie apocalypse or something. I decided to stock up, it was cheap, and in a SHTF situation I'm not gonna be picky about what ammo is available. I ran a couple of boxes of it through my CM9 with no issues, but I don't practice with it at the range regularly - it's just on standby.

Scoundrel
08-13-2012, 12:23 AM
Quite true. My local range guy is at least mostly up front about it. Told him he really just needs to get over it and/or invest in a decent magnet. Also told him the primary reason I shoot Al cased Blazer as my .40 practice ammo is to annoy him. He just threatens to charge me double for range time.

Yeah, my range says the stuff bounces too much and tears up their backdrop which is some sort of high density foam rubber stuff.

CrabbyAzz
09-09-2012, 07:21 PM
Just today l ran a few boxes of Tula thru my CM9. No problems, but is a little dirtier than my usual Winchester white box.

JERRY
09-15-2012, 09:02 AM
i have what some would call a cheap gun, its a G.I. model Rock Island Armory (RIA) 1911 .45acp. this gun cost me $340.00 brand new 7 years ago and has not once malfunctioned.

about a year ago i tried a box of the steel case Tul Ammo (9mm and .45acp) because it was so cheap and i wanted to see....its a spin off of Wolff which i found to be good in my Ak and SKS.....

the 9mm and .45acp ammo in my RIA and G17 functioned flawlessly and out of several hundred of round ive had one dud round and that was in .45acp. solid and deep primer strike just no bang....

for target practice this ammo works for me, it also seems to be loaded lighter as it kicks less than other brands ive tried.

PM9OWNER
09-15-2012, 09:30 AM
I've probably shot around 3,500 tula 9mm rounds with my G34 and Ruger SR9c. I only had maybe 5 that did not go off. Great cheap ammo for plinking or at a well-ventilated range (very dirty). I'm going to shoot brass only out of my PM9. But then again I said that about the glock...

When I do shoot it, I shoot only tula. I have read that since they are steel laquer-coated rounds, you should not shoot tula then brass ammo, because the brass may then get stuck, with any remaining laquer. I believe this is because steal does not expand as much as brass. I have never experienced problems with FTE's.

Billcurtis
03-20-2014, 10:13 AM
I have fired over 500 rounds of it through my Kahr CW40 without one failure of any kind. It seems less powerful then Winchester White Box. I have a shooting buddy that shoots it through his Clock also no problem. I would rather shoot brass ammo but Wolf is better then no ammo. I clean my pistol after every practice session and it seems to me no worse the Winchester in the dirty dept. I can detect no wear at all in the chamber or extractor on my pistol.
Bill...

b4uqzme
03-20-2014, 10:26 AM
Wally world has been selling TulaBrass in 9mm pretty cheap. 17/50. It runs fine in my CZ75 but I haven't tried it in a Kahr. Probably won't.

berettabone
03-20-2014, 11:19 AM
If you have any respect for your firearm, use good brass ammo. Plain and simple.

SlowBurn
03-20-2014, 11:34 AM
I've tried it when nothing else was available. Ran fine. I don't save brass so… But the gun did seem dirtier than usual afterwards

Bang_button
03-20-2014, 11:34 AM
My Glocks run fine on it. Both in 9mm (G17 and G26) and 45 ACP (G30S). Of course, they'll digest just about anything.

berettabone
03-20-2014, 12:07 PM
If you have any respect for your firearm, use good brass ammo. Plain and simple.
Brass is softer than steel......................less wear and tear on your firearm.

bsmith712
03-20-2014, 06:34 PM
Doesn't harm the gun. Never had an issue with it in any rifle or handgun. If it cycles well in your gun use it.

Planedude
03-20-2014, 09:07 PM
I picked up 400 rounds of 115grn 9mm (BRASS cased) Tula at Academy. I bought it for the simple reason, it was all I could get! I brought some out to break in a pair of Citadel 9mm compacts a while back. I had also picked up a pair Kahr K9 mags for carry so the old NYPD trade-in ate some cheap brass too.
Results were mixed, the Citadels tended to have failures at ejection. These were brand new guns and the extractor marks left me thinking the ejectors were clocking. At round 58, the firing pin in "gun two" broke, interesting... I had never broke a firing pin in a 1911 before, ever. "Gun one" ran more or less ok, but I also found a few "light primer strikes" that fired fine with a second hit. Several rounds (four) would not chamber in the Citadel period.
Funny thing was the K9 ate those "bad" rounds fine. One round would not chamber in any of the three guns we brought. Other than that one round, the K9 ate all the Tula that was feed to it. Tula makes brass cased rounds, but it's nothing to brag about.
I've come to believe that the issues we experienced were caused by hard primers. I have a Smith model 10 PPC gun that will not work with CCI primers rounds and has some issues with Remington's. It loves Federals and Winchesters primers though, go figure. Seems to me Tula ammo must be loaded with surplus Military primers and powder (??) or commercial stuff whichever is cheapest that day.
That, or the water cooler in the QC dept is full of cheap Vodka...

berettabone
03-21-2014, 07:42 PM
www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/ (http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/)

smo79
03-22-2014, 10:14 PM
Tula is okay but I still would rather buy Winchester white box. The only problem is both are still slowly coming back to stores around me.

thomjb
06-10-2014, 08:57 PM
I have shot a ton of Tula in my Sigs and HK's with no issues.

ppsnatcher
09-26-2014, 12:20 PM
I never had any issues, buts it's dirty and weak( if .40 is too snappy for you try tula .40 it's very tame). I'd rather pay a few cents more and train with better ammo that feels more like SD ammo.

marshal kane
10-07-2014, 09:27 AM
If you are a reloader, you'd better make sure your European ammunition is Boxer primed and reloadable. A lot of the ammo from Europe is Berdan primed and there are very few American made reloading tools set up for handling Berdan primers. Not only that but Berdan primers aren't sold by many shooter supply stores here. For those of you who are unfamiliar with a Berdan primed case, the case usually comes with two flash holes and the primer anvil is in the primer pocket itself and not in the primer like in a Boxer primer. You an feel the difference immediately if you've ever tried to decap a Berdan primer with a decapping die made for a Boxer primer.