PDA

View Full Version : Your Recommendations

Old Salt
05-05-2011, 05:03 AM
In July I値l be going on a solo three day, 60 mile mountain bike trip along the Pine Creek Rail Trail in Central Pennsylvania. I値l be camping along the way and for security I値l have my CW45 with an extra magazine. My question is what is your recommendations for the type of ammunition I should have loaded in my CW45, 230 FMJ or JHP or rotate between the two? When at home my handguns are loaded with JHP but I値l be spending three days of which 95% of that time will be in the wooded mountains of central PA. I can already hear the banjo from Deliverance playing in my head. I have a Pennsylvania License To Carry Firearms that makes me legal to carry in State Parks.

http://www.visittiogapa.com/railtrail.html

WMD
05-05-2011, 05:18 AM
Why would you carry anything but a good self defense round? Definitely, a hollow point would be my choice. Sounds like a fun trip. What type of trail is it? Is it frequented by other MTBr's?

Is it legal to carry in PA state parks? In my state, you cannot carry a gun into a state parke permitted or not. During hunting season you can carry a shotgun but that's about it.

Do not forget to bring some spares for the bike (tube patches, tools, etc!) and a first aid kit!

(do not hurt yourself!) :D

JimBianchi
05-05-2011, 08:53 AM
I did these types of trips (AK, AZ and CA in the 70s, 80s, 90s) many times in my younger days and I would always carry JHP in my carry piece. Only in AK did carry a 44mag or 12g.

If bears or big cats are a real threat (recent attacks or lots of close call sighting within 10 or so miles of were you are hiking) I would carry at least a 357mag, but for the more common two-legged, banjo toting, three-toed, inbred, cannibalistic hill folk, a good 45ACP JHP is plenty.

Have fun and post some pics of your trip when you get back.

TucsonMTB
05-05-2011, 09:07 AM
Oh, definitely JHP. Those lightening holes are important to reduce overall weight. Hey, it works for bike parts! :D

Bawanna
05-05-2011, 09:13 AM
I agree on the JHP as well. I'd fear two legged vermin more than four. I would probably bring a 2nd extra mag though, it's long way to the gun store on a bike. I figure your probably cutting weight in every possible way but one more mag can't hurt. I'd probably even try to figure out a way to mount it to the frame for good access. The other in whatever is close to you when you camp.
Be to bulky to bring a banjo and try to blend in as a local?

Old Salt
05-05-2011, 09:16 AM
Why would you carry anything but a good self defense round? Definitely, a hollow point would be my choice. Sounds like a fun trip. What type of trail is it? Is it frequented by other MTBr's?

Is it legal to carry in PA state parks? In my state, you cannot carry a gun into a state parke permitted or not. During hunting season you can carry a shotgun but that's about it.

Do not forget to bring some spares for the bike (tube patches, tools, etc!) and a first aid kit!

(do not hurt yourself!) :D

In Pennsylvania it is legal to carry concealed in a State Park as long as you have a Pennsylvania License To Carry Firearms which like I said I have. I have all the extra gear for my bike and camping.

Bawanna
05-05-2011, 09:33 AM
A comment from the desert rat in the peanut gallery: Among local Tucson mountain bikers, the conventionally accepted "wisdom" is that your pistol and magazine should be secured to you, rather than your bike. When you are carrying, getting separated from your bike, which is common during a fall or other emergency does not separate you from weapon and spare ammunition. YMMV ;)

I was afraid my thought would be misconstrued. I would mount just one mag to the bike. I kind of assume the gun would be on the body but the spare mag might get lost in a pack or fanny pack or those pockets etc. With a frame mounted mag, you have the gun in hand, and know exactly where the spare mag is without hunting for it.
The same rules apply to a guy in a wheelchair. At least one gun and one mag is attached to me, spare guns, and mags can be in the backpack or front bag or mounted under the seat or just tossed on top of the little trailer with the extra 5000 rounds of 45. I was a Boy Scout. Gotta be prepared ya know?

TheTman
05-05-2011, 10:01 AM
Since you're going solo, do you have any communication gear should you get injured?
Good luck and have a safe trip. I'd probably carry HP ammo, unless there where bears or such, then maybe have a mag with FMJ in it for the extra penetration. I'd probably be packing my .44 mag. That deals with about any critter 2 or 4 legged.
If there were bears in the area, I'd probably want some +P rated ammo too.

Old Salt
05-05-2011, 10:54 AM
I'll be carrying my CW45 in a fanny pack that has a compartment I can use for my extra magazines. I’ll have my cell phone to be used if needed. The 60 mile long trail is used by bikers, hikes and people on horse back so I'm sure I’ll be seeing people through out my trip. I'll have my CW45 and extra magazines stuffed with 230 grain Speer Gold Dots. Thank you for all your recommendations.