PDA

View Full Version : How much can I reshape the 'beavertail area'?

Serafino
05-07-2011, 12:00 PM
Are there any pictures or diagrams showing how thick the material is in the area just above the grip on the back of Kahr polymer framed guns (where the beavertail would be on a 1911)?

I want to reshape this a bit to make room for the first the joint on my thumb.

jocko
05-07-2011, 12:06 PM
none that I know off, I would tread lightlyh in that area, as that is one of the strengh areas for those rear steel slide rails which is a one peace inbedded.

IMO= Bad Idea.

CPO15
05-07-2011, 12:15 PM
Tale a look at this thread:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=397863

The second-to-last photo shows the blown-out access panel and a view of the thickness of the grip side itself: if the backstrap is as thin it doesn't look like you have a lot to work on.

Serafino
05-07-2011, 12:34 PM
Thanks Jocko and CPO15.

CPO15 - I couldn't see any clear indication of thickness of the grip. There's a tab to hold the panel in position but the amount of grip showing above it isn't indicative of the thickness I don't think?

The 6th post in this thread at another forum indicates that apparently some work can be done on this area, although unfortunately the photo is just retouched to indicate what was done, it's not the actual modified pistol. I would only want to remove the corners a bit, not round the area up as indicated:

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthread.php?43159-The-400-pocket-gun-AKA-Kahr-meets-saw

jocko
05-07-2011, 01:24 PM
ur the first to ever report of this grip issue and needing to modify that beavertail section. Kahrs have by design a patented low bore axis..

Serafino
05-07-2011, 01:38 PM
Well I plan to shoot it awhile yet before the mods begin. I'll be just as pleased if this turns out to be a non-issue.

MW surveyor
05-07-2011, 04:18 PM
Had a question then answered it myself.
Never mind as Roseann Roseann Rosananan says.

gb6491
05-07-2011, 09:36 PM
While I've not found it an issue on my CW9, the frame corner below the slide of the thicker CW45 would dig into my side when carrying inside the waistband and (with enough range time at one stretch) would become noticeable where it contacted my thumb when shooting. What I did was knock a small amount of the corner's point off. It's a small amount (really not all that noticable), but has made a big difference when carrying and shooting the gun.
Here's a photo to illustrate (unmodified frame on the left, red area highlights the material removed):
http://i54.tinypic.com/352famg.jpg
Regards,
Greg

Serafino
05-07-2011, 10:28 PM
Thank you Greg!

CJB
05-08-2011, 09:19 AM
If you're hell bent on it...

X-Ray it

If you're in good with your local veterinarian, he might just (for a fee of course). Mine did for a non-gun related item. Same as one of my cats - $45.

jocko
05-08-2011, 09:30 AM
I would guess if it is going to come off the very bottom as gb did, that it would be perfeclty safe to do so. GB certainly did a super job, I stillam looking at both to see the difference, course thats why I shoot as bad as I do !!! I must not see very well.