PDA

View Full Version : A lubed gun is a happy gun

JohnR
05-08-2011, 07:14 PM
At yesterday's IDPA match my K9's slide seized up toward the end, after a rapid five shot target. After some careful percussive correction :D, the slide freed up. Turned out it was dry, no lube, so another shooter, more experienced and wiser than I, happened to have some oil and fixed it right up, and it was fine.

Lesson, keep it lubed!

Tellurium
05-08-2011, 08:07 PM
Well, when was the last time you took down your K9 for cleaning? lol.

Maybe try greasing the slide rails if oiling isnt cutting it. (unless you already do)

JohnR
05-09-2011, 06:33 AM
Less than a month ago, no shooting in between. However, I was lazy and didn't lube it then and I know that's why. Hey, it's a mistake you have to make once, just to learn it really well.:o

ripley16
05-09-2011, 06:52 AM
This is the primary reason I am a believer in the Militec1 conditioning treatment. Oil can dry up, but the dry lube will still allow the functioning of the gun. In fact I "double lube", in that I use Militec1 and a conventional lube, (grease on the rails and oil elsewhere). Wet is definitely good when shooting a lot of rounds.

How did you do in the competition?

Bill K
05-09-2011, 07:36 AM
Sounds like an inexpensive lesson learned. Thanks for sharing.

Bill K.

bigbob68
05-09-2011, 10:14 AM
I have militec & don't buy into the hype behind their products. I have the oil & grease but finda that it has very little corrosion protection and tetra grease is better IMO. FP-10 & Tetra has worked for me. I have a dozen oils or more but stick to those 2. I hate Break Free CLP & feel that G96 does a better job. I like to use grease on my guns as it dosent run/migrate like oils. Even when the tetra is wiped off there is still enough to function.

O'Dell
05-09-2011, 11:02 AM
This is the primary reason I am a believer in the Militec1 conditioning treatment. Oil can dry up, but the dry lube will still allow the functioning of the gun. In fact I "double lube", in that I use Militec1 and a conventional lube, (grease on the rails and oil elsewhere). Wet is definitely good when shooting a lot of rounds.

How did you do in the competition?

I basically do the same thing - Militec 1 first one on everything I want to lube and then grease on top of it on the rails, barrel, etc. I even put a dab on the feed ramp - really makes it slick. I haven't had a feeding issue in three years since I got rid of a piece of junk PT745. Of course, I buy better guns now. :)

I got a free sample of Weapon Shield last week in a cool needle oiler, which I'm going to try soon. It's suppose to do everything that Militec 1 does w/o the hairdryer treatment.

OldLincoln
05-09-2011, 01:45 PM
O'Dell, please let us know how you like the Weapon Shield. I have the same free sample asnd the needle oiler is really nifty.

Chuck54
05-09-2011, 02:00 PM
Anybody use Shooters Choice all weather grease?

I have used for several years now and have had good luck with it.

I started using it after I was issued a P7M8.....the pistol seemed to collect rust very easily. When I started using the Shooters Choice after cleaning the rust problem ended.

jocko
05-09-2011, 02:58 PM
I used to , it is great stuff, don't change what works for you...

CJB
05-09-2011, 03:23 PM
Green synthetic marine grease on the rails VERY lightly. Same stuff on the barrel locking surfaces and "bushing" area. TW25b on the disconnector, striker nose and recoil spring guide (2 section guide). Works for me.

RUT
05-09-2011, 03:29 PM
>>tetra grease is better IMO<<

Another long time Tetra user here! :)

JohnR
05-10-2011, 07:12 AM
I like the idea of a lube that doesn't dry up (the Mil-Comm claims that). I think that's what happened - what lube was in there probably dried up with five hours in the warm sun and the heat from shooting.

Bawanna
05-10-2011, 09:17 AM
I like the idea of a lube that doesn't dry up (the Mil-Comm claims that). I think that's what happened - what lube was in there probably dried up with five hours in the warm sun and the heat from shooting.

Didn't ya say in about the third post that you were lazy and didn't lube it all. No lube to dry out or go away if you didn't put any on. As stated lesson learned. No shooters or Kahrs injured in this lifes lesson.

I think any decent lube will do the job, some just need to be applied a little more often than others.

Not picking on ya either, just reread from the start to see what needs to be better.

jocko
05-10-2011, 09:50 AM

comm tw25 grease and it seems to say where I put it and seem moist to touch. In time most all grease will dry up somewhat but with these modern synthetic lubs we have today that just might be so true..

MrToad
05-10-2011, 10:30 AM
I've used Brian Eno's Slide Glide with good results on my pistols.

JohnR
06-11-2011, 05:53 PM
Didn't ya say in about the third post that you were lazy and didn't lube it all. No lube to dry out or go away if you didn't put any on. As stated lesson learned. No shooters or Kahrs injured in this lifes lesson.

I think any decent lube will do the job, some just need to be applied a little more often than others.

Not picking on ya either, just reread from the start to see what needs to be better.
I hadn't lubed it at all that day, or even recently, not that I hadn't lubed it ever. :)

eltee
07-23-2011, 04:06 PM
I use shooters choice grease on rails and locking lugs, etc., and break free elsewhere. The two seem to work together well. I pretty much use this combo on all my semi-auto handguns. The grease doesn't run off the rails.

JohnR
08-07-2011, 10:42 AM
Well, the K9 got me through the August match flawlessly! My score was slightly better than the previous match (I skipped a couple months), but still not that great. About 139 in SSP/Marksman. But shooting this little gun was fantastic. The compact size and almost no recoil make it such a pleasure to shoot.