PDA

View Full Version : Breaking In My New PM45

Tug Brown
12-07-2009, 09:10 PM
Hello Forum,

This is my first post. I am a US Army veteran with renewed interest in weapons. For years I had a 9mm short (.380 ACP) sitting in the closet with only 50 rounds fired through it. I learned about Kahrs earlier in the year and purchased a PM9. I have put as much as 600 rounds though that weapon finding it very reliable. I have yet to learn to shoot it with excellent marksmanship, but it is coming along. I have been using the PM9 as my carry weapon.

Recently I bought a 1911 .45acp, but it's too large to carry the way I want to carry, yet I like the .45 caliber for its projectile size/force.

Enter the PM45. I purchased my PM45 from a gentleman who is a "Colt guy". For some reason he didn't like the PM45 having only put 20 rounds through it. Each to his own, I guess. Anyway this is a "Black Diamond" model with standard sights. Actually I find it "dirty" looking and like the appearance of the SS PM9 that I have better. However, "looks" don't put projectiles down range.

I fired approximately 235 rounds through the PM45 today. 80 rounds were WWB 230gr, (3) were WWB 230gr holow points and the rest were Remington UMC 230gr.

Early on, I was disappointed to find malfunction after malfunction in the operation of this new weapon. The first problem occurred at or near the end of the first magazine when the casing locked into the slide with the primer end jammed against the magazine. I couldn't drop the magazine or work the slide. I had to use the handle of my knife to loosen the casing and put it into a "stove pipe" to get motion to remove the magazine and eject the casing. This occurred no less than eight or nine times with two or three actual "stove pipes". In all a total of 11 FTE. WWB = 7, UMC = 4

I also experienced seven FTF. WWB = 5 UMC = 2.

Interestingly, I found that the magazine would drop at times causing a failure to chamber a round. I tried over and over to note my hand/thumb positions and their effect on the release mechanism. I could not correlate those and the magazine release during fire. The magazine just seemed to "drop" about 5mm or so and that was that. This problem occurred about 6(six) times.

I must say, this is the 5th new weapon I have broken in, so I am not overly concerned for the moment. I suspect things will get better with more "exercise".

Notably, I am in excellent condition and have great hand/arm strength due to my profession that generates a lot of isometric exercise. This is aside the weight lifting that I do. I say this because I don't think I "limp wrist". However, there is a significant "kick" behind the PM45 that I don't note with the PM9. So maybe I need to train up with the PM45.

I found the accuracy of this weapon to be dead on. The major problem hitting my sight point was ME anticipating the hammer drop. I can say that when I took my time after learning the proper sight picture for this weapon, that I will be able to hit what I need to hit from any reasonable pistol distance. And I do mean accurate.

My bias at the moment is toward the SS version over the Black Diamond. I already see wear marks on the barrel that are not visible on the PM9 (Some of this was there when I received it.) They are just the tight manufacturing tolerance marks, but would not be visible if it didn't have the "covert" finish.

One last comment, I suspect this WILL replace the PM9 as my carry weapon on most days. However, I do believe that Kahr should modify the base of the magazine and remove the flange. Ergonomically the magazine in the PM9 short magazine is more acceptable than the large black base on the PM45. I may have to do something about mine.

In case you are wondering, I plan to carry in a Desantis pocket holster in the right front pocket just as I have the PM9. While shopping I looked at the Colt New Agent and the Para PDA and found both too large for Desantis pocket carry.

At this point I would rate the PM45 as a 7/10 and the PM9 as a 8.5/10 with 10 being best.

Sorry no photos. I made a few, but it appears this forum doesn't host photos. I hope this helps anyone looking at this very nice weapon.

jocko
12-08-2009, 02:03 AM
If the PM45 doesn't get right in 200 rounds, then maybe you need to let kahr look at it. but you are right in that it does need to mate itself up properly. and more rounds is what will do that--hopefully. Break it in with regular ball ammo though, forget the defense stuff until it is running right...

grease the slide rails, then sit there and rack the slide about 500 times as fast as you can, this helps without the bang thing and cost. If you have a dremel give that feed ramp a good polishing. Normally kahrs feed ramps are excellent but again alittle extra TLC can't hurt it either.

I think the DLC finish is totally awesome. that finish is as duralbe as the glock finish. The wear makrs on the barrel is normal and what your seeing is that dull finish wearing off that kahr puts on their barrels. All kahr barrels are nickel plated inside and out, so if you feel like it give that barrel on the outside a good polishing and bring it to a mirror finish and you won't see any more wear marks.

Your right about the accuracy, kahrs are not the easiest to shoot, especially if you try to compare it to the 1911 but also that 1911 won't ride in ur front pocket, where as the PM9 certainly will and some even pocket carry the PM45. The 3/8" length trigger pull is there by design but it is totally smooth as glass to and these guns are what they are, a very close up and personal defense weapon. IMO practice 10 yards and under, get good there, get fast there and these guns are a real hoot to shoot.

I rate my PM9 a 10, for it has went bang 25,000 times, if Ihad to rate it on accuracy, then I would have to rate ME about 8. More than likely if my PM9 could talk, it would have many thousands of rounds back said, "give me to a good shooter please"..

I carry my PM9 in a desantis and find it stilltoday my best pocket holster. WELCOME TO THE FORUM..

TopDog
12-08-2009, 02:31 AM
I recently broke in a PM45 without a single malfunction. I used Microlon gun juice not only the barrel (inside and out) but recoil assembly and the entire inside of the slide and the contact points on the metal inserts in the frame. The barrel I ran 20 (fire then run wet patch) patches, on the rest of it before firing for the first time I did five coats (coat then polish). You have to make sure to de-grease the gun before treatment with gun juice.

Now I don't know for sure if this is why I had no malfunctions but after using gun juice on a really tight fitting Sig P229 I started using the stuff on all new guns for break in. If the gun juice does nothing else it will make clean up a breeze. I found tight fitting guns that like to run wet really benefit from gun juice. Guns like Glock's and CZ's not so much. Just my 2 cents.

I have not shot any other Kahr besides my own PM45 but I thought the kick using standard loads was very mild. I also shoot a Kel-Tec PF9 that has much more felt recoil with standard load 9mm.

Good Luck to you with the break in on your PM45.

10Kahrs
12-08-2009, 01:29 PM
Hi Tug, This my first post as well. Retired LEO. I had nothing but problems with my PM45 when I first bought it. She would stove pipe every other round after 2 trips to Kahr they finally got her right. I have put a few boxes of ammo down range since I got her back with no problems and I am confident my PM is good for CCW. If you are still having problems send it back to Kahr and let them fix it. Mine came back and it looks like they did some work on the slide. I think you have to expect some issues with a 45 packed into such a small package but I think its worth working the bugs out. PS. I found that remington golden sabres 185gr worked the best in my PM and my accuracy improved alot. Good luck. Don OH, don't be afraid of using oil Kahrs like to run "wet"

Tug Brown
12-08-2009, 03:58 PM
Thanks for the responses. I haven't gotten too bent out of shape over this first firing experience with the PM45. I suspect it will get better using the suggestions made. I probably won't fire the weapon again for several weeks, but when I do, maybe I will have greased and racked it enough to keep it "limber".

jocko, while I really like my PM9, I am trying not to over rate any of these weapons and keep from trying to see the warts. Having said that, my PM9 is a "machine" and certainly beat the heck out of the PM45 in the first round. More to come.

varoadking
12-08-2009, 05:19 PM
Man...I could have written most of this myself...

I had similar issues with my PM45. I've run 355 rounds thru it now and it no longer stovepipes or drops the magazine. I do agree that the magazine floor plate is irritating.

I am not as accurate with it as I would like, but am willing to see if that improves with practice. That doesn't seem to be an issue for you.

I really do want to like it..a lot...

Hang in there...it will get better...

1402columbus
12-11-2009, 12:03 PM
EXACT same problem with my PM45. 300 plus rounds and still FTE. Sending mine back to KAHR. Big difference from my PM9.

jocko
12-11-2009, 12:15 PM
Thanks for the responses. I haven't gotten too bent out of shape over this first firing experience with the PM45. I suspect it will get better using the suggestions made. I probably won't fire the weapon again for several weeks, but when I do, maybe I will have greased and racked it enough to keep it "limber".

jocko, while I really like my PM9, I am trying not to over rate any of these weapons and keep from trying to see the warts. Having said that, my PM9 is a "machine" and certainly beat the heck out of the PM45 in the first round. More to come.

what u mean by over rate ????? I stated MY PM9 is a 10 for me, other owners versions may indeed vary. No warts on any of my kahrs. they all (so far) are doing what they are supposed to do..:p