PDA

View Full Version : CW9 Newb - First impressions (long post)

entoptics
05-10-2011, 10:44 PM
Just found your forum, lurked around a bit and joined. Looks like lots of great info and pleasant folks.

Info about me in lieu of an introduction. Been shooting pretty much anything and everything since before I can remember. According to the stories, my first bang was a PPK 32 auto. Both my dad and cousin regret that day, as I've probably cost them several thousand of dollars in ammo. 30 years later, my primary guns are a 2nd Gen Glock 17 (had it since my first car), 870 police magnum (LEO surplus), and Super Blackhawk 44 mag (4 5/8"). I have several others, but they see about 1/100th the rounds of the above three.

I'm not a collector, and consider function/reliability the most beautiful thing (e.g. Glock, 870, AK, bolt guns, etc). I won't buy a gun that won't function while covered in mud and crud. I also don't own any sub compact guns. I've put a few hundred rounds through various models owned by friends, but no extensive experience.

Anyway, on to the CW9...

My wife is a competent, but novice shooter with little paws, so she hasn't been terribly enthusiastic about shooting all of my large framed guns. She has a go now and then, but hasn't been really interested. We decided to find a little gun that would fit her properly. Did some shopping, and she decided the Kahr CW9 fit her hands the best.

I picked it up today then rode directly from the shop to my favorite shooting area. Ran a box of Tula 115 FMJ through it without a hiccup.

First impressions - Pros...

1) It's WICKEDLY accurate for a little pistol (maybe ANY pistol). From a sitting position (elbows braced on knees) at 15 yds, I put the first 3 bullets into one ragged hole. I thought I was completely missing a 2' board and began cussing and spitting, but upon finishing the mag I walked up and saw what had happened. 7 shot group was the size of a Girl Scout Cookie. Fired two more mags and got similar results. Needless to say I was pleased.

I proceeded to plink offhand at various items around the quarry from 10-75 yds, and to be honest, I don't think I could do any better with my Glock. Both are "minute of milk jug" in my hands.

2) Ergonomics are excellent. Since the gun fit my wife's little hands so well, I figured it would suck for me. Not the case. Plenty of room both for depth and length, and the checkering/texture is excellent. The gun points great and the sight picture is almost perfect when I pull it up in front of me with my eyes closed. Very much like my glock in terms of how it presents itself in front of my eyes. I like the white "i" style sights, and they are both fast and precise. I bought some Trijicons though, so that's soon to be irrelevant.

3) Recoil is tamer than I expected. A little more flippy than a G17, but that's not exactly shocking. Follow up shots were quick, and there's absolutely zero discomfort. The Mrs should have no trouble controlling it.

4) The trigger is CRAZY smooth. No stacking, easy to stage for accuracy, and light enough.

First Impressions - Cons...

1) The trigger reset is RIDICULOUSLY long. After inspecting the internals, I assume this is partially responsible for the buttery smooth trigger, but my lord. The reset is just as long as my 629 Smith 44 mag. Also, the reset tension is too weak to "assist" your finger forward, so it's not intuitive to let off that much. I'm sure I can train myself to deal with it, but I'm afraid that might muck up my Glock shooting. The Mrs has no "habits" so she'll probably do just fine with it.

2) The included 7 round mag won't drop free. I bought two extra 8 rounders with finger extension, and they fall out pretty as you please, so I don't know what's up. I'm sure Kahr customer service will get me taken care of though.

3) The gun must have shipped from the Gulf of Mexico. I've never seen such a tragic oil spill before. I had the guy at the counter wipe it down since I was heading directly to the quarry, but 30 minutes later when I pulled it out of my backpack there was a PUDDLE in the box. I pulled it apart and used some Kleenex to get as much out as I could. After 50 rounds, the thing is still weeping oil out of various crevices. I'll have to thoroughly clean it out before I put any more rounds through it. Don't want that stuff getting turned into hard-to-remove fouling. Not sure what Kahr is thinking there. It's a stainless and polymer gun for god's sake. A light coat of CLP would keep rust off of the gun for a decade.

All in all, I'm extremely pleased with the purchase. If the little fellow stays reliable, and the Mrs can learn to shoot it, then it will be an outstanding addition to the collection.

I may end up getting the new CM9 as a CCW gun if this puppy continues to impress.

gb6491
05-11-2011, 11:41 AM
Excellent report and welcome to the forums!:)
Regards,
Greg

lostagain
05-11-2011, 11:49 AM
As Jocko will soon be telling you... Find the stickys with the cleaning and lubrication instructions. They make a difference and are backed by many happy customers! And as I have learned don't forget to flush the striker channel with some spray cleaner.

I had similar magazine problems that was traced to goo on the sides. I washed them in hot water with a little dishsoap. Also cleaned the contact points in the mag well and no more problems.

It took me a couple of hundred rounds to get used to the trigger but now don't even notice it.

Have fun, I hope to get my wife to try mine soon.

Fulton_722
05-11-2011, 08:19 PM
Great to hear from another satisfied CW9 user !

My CW9 has also been flawless, save for the mags which also don't drop free; but since I don't carry extra mags when I'm concealed carrying, it's not a big deal.

bigbob68
05-11-2011, 10:50 PM
Nice review. Now get some more rounds thru it. I found mine truly a joy to shoot and has replaced my Glock for EDC.

jocko
05-12-2011, 05:56 AM
As Jocko will soon be telling you... Find the stickys with the cleaning and lubrication instructions. They make a difference and are backed by many happy customers! And as I have learned don't forget to flush the striker channel with some spray cleaner.

I had similar magazine problems that was traced to goo on the sides. I washed them in hot water with a little dishsoap. Also cleaned the contact points in the mag well and no more problems.

It took me a couple of hundred rounds to get used to the trigger but now don't even notice it.

Have fun, I hope to get my wife to try mine soon.

oindeed that gun needs a good cleaning and a proper lubing. find it all in the kahr tech section..:behindsofa:

Recycooler
05-12-2011, 06:21 AM
1) The trigger reset is RIDICULOUSLY long.

Zoom ahead 500 rounds later

"Wow the trigger on my old carry gun is RIDICULOUSLY short":D

Welcome to the forum,I also have a CW9.

adventures47129
05-12-2011, 07:55 AM
I would not trade my CW9 for most anything... Take a bit of time to clean it. You and your wife will fall in love with it. You may have a problem and have to buy two once your wife get into it. Welcome to the board and congrats on you new pistol.

entoptics
05-12-2011, 09:12 PM
Thanks for the welcome.

After a couple days of dry fire practice and mucking about, I now understand all of the "cheese grater" comments I've noticed around here. There are about 2 million sharp bits on the CW9 that will really shred you up when you are cycling the gun manually over and over.

The slide serrations are wickedly sharp, and I have no fingerprints left. The grip is also pretty damn aggressive, and with the herculean effort required to rack the slide, I've re-aggravated a month old palm injury (FYI, shooting a 44 mag and a 454 casull simultaneously as fast as you can thumb the hammers and fire can cause injury, well, the 454 can anyway).

I certainly don't knock the gun for the aggressive texture though. I'm pretty sure Kahr didn't design it for arm chair work, nor did they have "repetitive stress injury" in mind.

The Mrs also had a couple hours of "fondling" the Kahr while watching a movie last night. She seems very pleased, and despite her weak grip and small hands, she managed to quickly figure out how to manipulate the slide and all controls without much drama. She's even got the "tap-rack-bang" and slingshot down pretty good. She said the same thing about the slide serrations though...

rkirk
05-13-2011, 09:14 AM
Welcome and congratulations on the new Kahr CW9! I temporarily applied IDPA target to my grip until I bought a Hogue Handall Jr. slip on. If you have a bicycle inter tube that may work better! My CW9 has been flawless for 900 rounds. You are going to love the pistol!

Shoot safe,

-- Richard

O'Dell
05-13-2011, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the welcome.

After a couple days of dry fire practice and mucking about, I now understand all of the "cheese grater" comments I've noticed around here. There are about 2 million sharp bits on the CW9 that will really shred you up when you are cycling the gun manually over and over.

The slide serrations are wickedly sharp, and I have no fingerprints left. The grip is also pretty damn aggressive, and with the herculean effort required to rack the slide, I've re-aggravated a month old palm injury (FYI, shooting a 44 mag and a 454 casull simultaneously as fast as you can thumb the hammers and fire can cause injury, well, the 454 can anyway).

I certainly don't knock the gun for the aggressive texture though. I'm pretty sure Kahr didn't design it for arm chair work, nor did they have "repetitive stress injury" in mind.

The Mrs also had a couple hours of "fondling" the Kahr while watching a movie last night. She seems very pleased, and despite her weak grip and small hands, she managed to quickly figure out how to manipulate the slide and all controls without much drama. She's even got the "tap-rack-bang" and slingshot down pretty good. She said the same thing about the slide serrations though...

I always wear shooting gloves at the range. In a defensive situation, I'd guess that a few abrasions would be the least of my worries.

PCollen
05-13-2011, 02:48 PM
Anyway, on to the CW9...

2) The included 7 round mag won't drop free. I bought two extra 8 rounders with finger extension, and they fall out pretty as you please, so I don't know what's up. I'm sure Kahr customer service will get me taken care of though.
the stock

I noted on all three of the CW9's I checked out a 3 different gun stores that I could not just reach my thumb over and depress the mag release completely. So I had to use my left hand thumb to depress the mag release, and even then the mag would not pop free..I had to pull the mag out. I suppose this would loosen up over time, perhaps over the 200 round break-in period.
But I was thinking to myself that if I couldn't win the fight in 7 rounds with a Kahr CW9, I'd be shot dead for sure while trying to change the mag.
Other than that, the CW9 seemed to be an excellent gun and I can get all three fingers around the grip even with the standard mag and no pinky extension.

jocko
05-13-2011, 03:19 PM
every one get so excited when a mag doesn't fall free. My PM9 has never done it and has over 31,000 rounds through it. I also don't worry about hitting the mag button accidently and having the magazine fly all over hell either. I personally like that my mag drops about a 1/2 " and no more. I am not sure how much faster you are with a mag dropping free than I am pulling mine out either but thas to be in less than a second. Being I don't every carry a spare magazine, I also could care less. If u have a magazine that is not dropping freely, try waxing that outside of the magazine with some good auto polish and giving it some time in and out etc. If that doesn't work and you just have to have that magazine to drop, then call kahr and ask if you can send it back and try another one. 50-50% chance it will work.

jocko
05-13-2011, 03:21 PM
I noted on all three of the CW9's I checked out a 3 different gun stores that I could not just reach my thumb over and depress the mag release completely. So I had to use my left hand thumb to depress the mag release, and even then the mag would not pop free..I had to pull the mag out. I suppose this would loosen up over time, perhaps over the 200 round break-in period.
But I was thinking to myself that if I couldn't win the fight in 7 rounds with a Kahr CW9, I'd be shot dead for sure while trying to change the mag.
Other than that, the CW9 seemed to be an excellent gun and I can get all three fingers around the grip even with the standard mag and no pinky extension.

to that..:yo:

entoptics
05-16-2011, 01:38 AM
Off to the desert tomorrow. A few final "my new Kahr" comments before we use the crap out of it for 2 weeks.

Installed Trijicons today. The left side rear dot is jacked up. Some white goo imbedded in it and some white marks on the metal. Not sure what's up. It glows fine, but slightly dimmer than the other two, and the white makes the dot look a little different in bright light. I'll try and post a pic before I head out of "service".

I'll be sending it back when I return, but since I'd already drifted out the old sight before I noticed how bad it was, I installed them anyway. They are better than stock I suppose.

Install was easy as pie. I used a vice, some wood shims for secure/safe grip, and a drill press with a drill bit chucked backwards to drift out the rear. It came out hard, and the new one went in hard, but very little drama. I used a piece of notebook cardboard between the bit and sight to protect the finish, and got zero marks.

Anyway, Trijis are great (at least I would imagine unblemished ones will be). If anyone wants more details on the install and sights, I can shoot some pics when I put in the replacements in a few weeks.