PDA

View Full Version : PM4544 FTF - new info

taxifolia
05-17-2011, 12:19 PM
Old issue - friend and I both bought one. I've fired 338 rounds - had total 11 FTFs (usually round was only partially chambered), always on second round. He had 2 of same in first 200 rounds. Don't know if it happened on my first 8, but on last 3 noticed front of slide stop (SS) was out from frame between 1/32 and 1/16 inch - pushed it in and round chambered.

Talked to the guys at range yesterday - noticed with SS in gun, push on rear (serrated part) and it was sloppy, not flush against frame. Took SS out and the pin (through the frame) wiggled about 1/16 inch at end and rotated. They took SS out of a range rental P45 - it did not wiggle and did not rotate.

I came home and checked SS on my MK9, K9098, and a K9 - on all 3 the rear of SS was flush against frame. The pin rotated on the MK9 but not on the K9098. Called friend - rear of his SS was also not flush against frame like my PM45.

Called KAHR this AM.
1. The pin is not designed to rotate, if it does it should be OK.
2. The pin should not wiggle when out of gun.

As usual, great KAHR customer service - they are sending 2 new slide stops.

Tentative conclusion - the sloppy / wiggly slide stop causes it to disengage from the keeper spring on the side of the frame.

jocko
05-17-2011, 12:31 PM
I would think maybe they should have sent you a new slide stop spring also. If the slide stop is moving outward, then the slide stop spring is out of whace. if u go to the kahr tech section anbd hit on GB6491 sticky on cw45 fixes and scroll down u will see an excellent tutorial telling what should be and what should not be... the pinb rotatin is perfectlyt ok, gun works the same either way. Why some rotate and some not is mystery but that is not the issue period.. if u look at that slide stopo there is a groove on thepin up by the flat portion of the slide stop. That is where that little springhy should snap into. Makes no difference wiggle or not, it willhold in place if it is right. My thoughs are a bad or out of adjustment slide stop spring.. also if u look at your slide stop the portion that goes intothe mag well area. there is a nub where thgat spring tip should also snap into. If u look closely at that nub u will see a slight groovber in that nub, that is where that spring tip should rest. It also holds the slide stop in place and acts as a return for the slide strop itself. I always put a dab of greese on that little spring tip and also where the pin goes into the gun, so as tolet it glide past easier..

taxifolia
05-17-2011, 12:53 PM
Thanks jocko. I failed to mention - he said he would also send a SS spring. I think maybe it put me into a panic thinking I might have to deal with that feared torx screw given what I've read about problems trying to replace it and stripping the threads in the frame.

What do you think - I'm thinking replace only new SS and see if problem continues. If so, then deal with the spring.

jlottmc
05-18-2011, 05:31 AM
Probably the best plan right there. Fix no more than is broken.

jocko
05-18-2011, 06:19 AM
what jlottmc said is the correct thing to do.

jocko
05-18-2011, 06:33 AM
if the SSleverdoesnt cure it then go to the kahr tech section ahd hit on GB64092 great photo tutorial on cw45 fixes and scroll on down and seehis slide stop spring thing. Thatis the way to replce that spring and it is a no brainer if you follow his lead, but if it ain't broke don';t fix it, still stands in my mindto.