PDA

View Full Version : Balance or digital ?

Dietrich
05-21-2011, 04:15 AM
I`m reading a lot of articles concerning digital scales.I currently use a RCBS 10-10 for my reloading and I really like it but as it is a balance beam scale,I kind of feel I may be missing out on something.The first scale I bought was a digital but it was an el-cheapo that would change charge weights by my moving my hand near it.Not touching it,mind you,but just near it.I got so frustrated with it I took it to the range and put two 9mm slugs through it.That`s when I bought the 10-10.I understand a nice digital [more expensive than the $39.95 el-cheapo ] is a good addition to a reloading room but do I really need one ? Are digitals that far superior to a good balance beam scale or would I be buying something just to have something new ? I use a chronograph to check my work and I always reload on the minimum charge weight of a recipe. That way I don`t think being off a tenth of a grain or so will matter all that much. And just one more thing.If it does become evident that a digital scale is in my future,what brand and model do you guys recommend ? Thanks,Dietrich.

500KV
05-21-2011, 07:29 AM
Dietrich, this is the scale I've used for quite a few years and find it very accurate and easy to use.

The only advantage that a digital scale has to offer, that I can see, is that it's a bit faster and easier to set up.
I think this one is the cheapest of the RCBS line but, as I say, it's accurate and easy to use.

There are many more choices out there.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=814722&cm_mmc=Froogle-_-Reloading%20-%20Metallic%20Reloading%20Equipment%20(Not%20Press es)-_-PriceCompListing-_-814722

CJB
05-21-2011, 08:10 AM
Quality units of both types are accurate. One company, Ohaus, made all the RCBS, Lyman, Redding, Hornady, etc... balance types, just with slight differences and different names on them. You can always find either the name Ohaus, or the Ohaus logo "someplace" on the scale, beam, weights, copper plate... someplace, they hide it sometimes, but its there (small). Can't say for the digital ones.

BOTH are subject to static effecting the reading. Hint: if you take the pan and VERY lightly coat it with some liquid dish soap, let it dry... and adjust the tare, then static will be less of a problem.

The electronic/digital ones are GREAT for loaders who like to drizzle powder onto the pan, accurately weighing each charge - bench rest or rifle shooters mainly. They work better that way because they don't waver past the reading and need to "settle" as compared with the beam type.

The beam type - has advantages. No batteries needed (survivalist reloading?), and non-wavering accuracy. The only thing that "wears" is the knife edge, and it can be renewed a few times if need be, even then... it takes a long long time (lifetime) to wear out the knife edge. Keep the beam off the scale when not in use. If you generally set up your dropper to a certain charge weight, and only check it occasionally during the reloading process (like most of us do), then a beam type could be a better choice. Beam scales have a "magnetic" anti bounce (copper plate eddy current method), and that helps some, but they do wiggle with passing air and such. Gotta use them in a more draft free place.

I use beam, got it used, was probably made in the 60's, knives were fine, checked on standard weights, and... I've been using it and checking it since about 1979ish... no problems. Dunno if you'd get that out of an electronic.

Bawanna
05-21-2011, 12:02 PM
I use a digital very close to the one 500KC showed. I know it's RCBS but not sure the model. It is much faster and less nerve racking waiting for the beam to settle. Mine is sensitive to motion, if someone goes by it quickly or creates a breeze it tilts and have to rezero which isn't tough and quick. I still keep my balance beam and keep both on a separate high stool when I'm loading so they are isolated frome the rest of the reloading process.
For reloading practice handgun loads a beam works just fine as your just checking periodically to make sure you measure is staying constant.
There's advantages to both.

earle8888
05-21-2011, 12:56 PM
I use the 505 myself and have for a long time. Note: need to have it on a stable stand, not on the loading bench, and I usually, through and keep the second or third charge, and use it to check/verify the zero every 20 or 30 rounds.
Don't have a desire to change, ain't broke don't need fixing!

garyb
05-21-2011, 08:36 PM
I use an RCBS 1010 as well, but only because that is what I purchased about 30 yrs ago and it is still like new. I am very certain that some of the new and fancy digital automatic scales are great and fast. I only load 40 S&W currently and like Bawanna stated in this thread, it does the job for verifying. Perhaps someday when I have money to burn, I'll upgrade too. Maybe when I start loading for my rifles. That day will come soon. Thanks for recommending - I'll go ahead and let the wife know that all the guys on the forum have the new auto digital scales and it's for our accuracy and safety and a must have.... haha.

Dietrich
05-22-2011, 05:21 AM
Thank you,gentlemen.I now see that there really isn`t a need for me to go out and buy a digital.My 10-10 works just fine and I`m really attatched to it anyway.I think my biggest question was really rooted in my resistance to change.If it ever gives up the ghost I`ll probably go digital but for the time being I`ll take the money I would have spent on one and put it with the new .45 cc pistol fund.You guys are aces in my book.

94zcar
05-24-2011, 12:19 AM
I use a Digital because it is faster, never used a balance...my .002

MW surveyor
05-27-2011, 07:31 AM
Too late to really get into this but.....gravity always works (at least until the rapture).