PDA

View Full Version : crossbreed review

pacific nw guy
12-10-2009, 02:01 PM
I bought my PM 40 with the inexperienced idea of being able to carry it in my pocket. With that in mind I started out my CC experience by purchasing a very nice pocket holster (pocketholsters.com). When it came in I was impressed by the piece but I soon realized I was not going to be carrying this gun in my pocket. The holster is great for storage of the gun or to use in transport or when placed in the car but for me the pocket is not going to work.

From there I started looking for an IWB tuckable holster. Once I really started researching holsters I began to realize they are an item that people buy a lot of and are never fully happy with the product. Time and time again i read quotes such as "i have a box of holsters sitting in my closet". From that I got a bit discouraged thinking it may take a while to find what I am looking for.

Reading any website or completeing a google search Crossbreed gets a lot of press, most of it very positive, with a few unhappy customers here and there. I initially thought the crossbreed was the way to go but in looking at all of the different options I began to want something a bit more polished, such as Mitch Rosen. I almost ordered the Mitch Rosen IWB but the basic premise of one belt attcahment verse 2 turned me off. I did order a CLP for my XDM, but that is not for a conceal carry option like the PM 40.

I went to the Crossbreed website and decided on the mini tuck. I read on the Rosen site that horsehide is a falacy as being any better and I wanted all black so I went with the cowhide. I actually bought it from the Kahr webiste and got it in less than a week, what is even cooler it that it came with the Kahr logo stamped on.

Now to the comfort......WOW is all I can say, after reading everything I have I started to think conceal carrying a weapon may never be comfortable but I WAS WRONG! I put it on yesterday at the 330 position and had a little rubbing, this morning i went to 4 oclock and for the most part I dont even feel it. I drove with it on and have been in and out of my office all day, this thing is really, really comfortable.

It is also a great draw. I did adjust to the highest hole on one side and the middle on the other and withthat the angle and ride height are perfect. The holster sits mostly below my pants, which brings me to my next point. Every picture or video I have seen demonstrates people wearing loose or large fitting clothing. I am an athletic type who wears my clothes to fit. Anything is going to be concealable/comfortable if you are wearing a huge baggy shirt and loose pants but if your clothes "fit" that is another story. By no means and I trying to be offensive toward loose or baggy clothing but my point is that this thing is going to conceal even in clothes that are less than forgiving and that is why I say the hype is real.

Now to what I consider the less than stellar aspects of the rig. I am not overly offended by the price. I think it was about 70 on the kahr site (add 10 if you want horsehide). What I am offended by it the finish for that price. Lets be honest this is a very basic piece of leather with a few holes cut out, clips, hardware, and a kydex holder. I dont mind crossbreed making money but I expected a little more attention to detail.

What sticks out to me is that I moved the clips from their shipped position. In doing so there are small holes and marks in the leather from where it was initially set up. Yeah not a big deal and the integrity of the holster is there but the point is I paid 70 and I would expect a better method or finish. Also the kydex holder was a little marked up, nothing really bad but again at this price point they are competing with a finish and interchangeability of the minotaur (which I may have chosen over this had I seen it originally due to the finish only though I have not heard much about the wearability). Overall in every aspect the attention to detail and finish is sub par, this is an item that works, nothing more.

In conclusion I would give this holster 4 stars out of 5 because in the end it is comfort that matters. Truth be told no matter how pretty the holster is if it ends up in a box with other pretty holsters it isnt worth the leather it was made from!

Crossbreed Minituck

Dietrich
12-10-2009, 03:23 PM
I`m much more concerned in function than in appearances. I did quite a bit if research on Crossbreed holsters before I bought my first one.They made no effort to hide the fact that the holster wasn`t a thing of beauty but they were strong on the comfort and concealability issues. I guess that the fact that it was plain appealed to me because I ain`t much to look at myself. I once had someone compare my face to a handful of baitworms.But that aside,I really like the Crossbreed product and I`m glad you like yours too.

500KV
12-10-2009, 03:30 PM
I`m much more concerned in function than in appearances. I did quite a bit if research on Crossbreed holsters before I bought my first one.They made no effort to hide the fact that the holster wasn`t a thing of beauty but they were strong on the comfort and concealability issues. I guess that the fact that it was plain appealed to me because I ain`t much to look at myself. I once had someone compare my face to a handful of baitworms.But that aside,I really like the Crossbreed product and I`m glad you like yours too.
Mine don't do a lot for my looks either but it sure works.:p:p

G-9
12-10-2009, 03:39 PM
I too went through the "which is the best holster" routine. My conclusion is: The best holster is the one that fits YOU the best and feels and functions for YOU.
I love my crossbreed holster. It fits both my PM 9 and 40.
I don't care alot about looks, but if you do that's ok.
On the plus side for me is that crossbreed is a Christian business, and I support my brothers and sisters in Christ.
Just my 2 pennies.

500KV
12-10-2009, 04:33 PM
I too went through the "which is the best holster" routine. My conclusion is: The best holster is the one that fits YOU the best and feels and functions for YOU.
I love my crossbreed holster. It fits both my PM 9 and 40.
I don't care alot about looks, but if you do that's ok.
On the plus side for me is that crossbreed is a Christian business, and I support my brothers and sisters in Christ.
Just my 2 pennies.
My sentiments as well G9.:D

pacific nw guy
12-10-2009, 05:36 PM
I think you are misunderstanding me. I did not say the look of the holster was more important than the function, what I said was that for the price, and at that price with who they compete with, you would expect more finishing.

it works but for what it costs we are at a point the finish could be better.

As for the christian business, I support that too but it does not keep me from giving an honest viewpoint.

As an update I have had this on for almost 12 hours and not once has it bothered me, that is what is important.

500KV
12-11-2009, 05:50 AM
As an update I have had this on for almost 12 hours and not once has it bothered me, that is what is important.
Your right about that pnwg.
They are the most comfortable IWB holsters I have.
Interesting thing..The ones for my Kahrs are also a perfect fit for my Glocks. Those slides are very similar..Blocky; and the Glock holsters also fit the Kahrs.

G-9
12-11-2009, 07:39 AM
Sorry Pacific,
I did not mean to sound like I was saying you take looks over functionality. I did not mean that at all. IMO, you gave a very fair and accurate description and evaluation.
What I found in the forum so far is very good advice and opinions. Thanks for yours.
Gary

johnh
12-23-2009, 09:32 AM
I do not really think there would be a way to avoid the marks made by the gromets when they are moved. The design is made to insure that they bite into the leather well so as to keep them from loosening. Early rigs had a different gromet and were a little more prone to movement in the hooks. So there is a trade off between having them fixed in place and being able to move the hooks up and down.

Likewise the leather would wear off any finish given how the gun sits in the rig and its tendency to shape itself to the wearer over time. Mark wanted to make comfort paramount in the design, so it is made to shape itself to the wearer. I have found that this property allows me to carry his rigs in positions that I cannot normally wear a holster due to my thin torso. Side carry usually causes IWB rigs to tip or slip around my body. The Supertuck (after wearing it a bit) shaped around me and thus stays put.

They are the most comfortable holsters I have ever worn. As Crossbreed says, "the ugliest holster you will ever love"!

John

Keuder
12-23-2009, 09:47 PM
I just received my minituck for my PM40 a few hours ago and I have to say it is even more comfortable than the Supertuck I use with my G36 and G26. I didn't even think of trying the Glocks in the mini or the Kahr in the super. Gotta go try it now though. I noticed right away that the mini in cowhide doesn't squeak like the horsehair supertuck did. I ended up putting felt pads under the belt clips where they rub on the horsehide to eliminate the noise. Anway, Excellent holsters even though they aren't the prettiest.