PDA

View Full Version : My Summer Time Carry Package

Steve-$
05-30-2011, 05:05 PM
I have just finished putting the finishing touches on my summer time carry package, none too late as it has gone from a the 60's during the day to the 90's in a matter of a couple of days.

I have had an action job done on my S&W 340sc along with magnaporting, XS big dot & set of CT LG405's added.

I am pocket carrying with a "Mika" pocket holster, which is made out of a moisture resistant material along with carrying extra ammo in (2) "Bianchi" Speed Strips in a "Tuff" Quick Strip holster pouch.

I am very happy with the results of Hornady Critical Defense 357 Mag. 125 grain, FTX ammunition that I have done, but am waiting on my backorder of Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel 357 Mag. 135 Grain, JHP ammunition to see which one will be my final carry round.

This package carry's nicely and only weights 14oz loaded, not counting the extra ammunition.

I just had the K9 Elite magnaported and it is currently at the factory getting a set of XS big sights installed.

I am looking forward to completing its carry package for the fall.

:)

jeepster09
05-30-2011, 05:33 PM
Awesome gun....I just love mine. They are great shooters with the porting.

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv276/jeepster09/IMG_0975.jpg

jocko
05-30-2011, 05:51 PM
I had one like that called the model 342 in 38spl that came out of Smith Performance center, factory magna ported and I put a pair of ct grips on it and that damn gun was just super accurate at 10 yards, I had to credit the ct for that though as standard sights I as usual could not hit jack sh-t. Mine did not have the xs big dots on it though I realize that the 1911 boys think their guns are the most attractive guns made but IMO ANY J frame smith trujmps any 1911. I can remember back in my gun business days that one could not sell a hammerless or the grip safety J frame for love or money, today they seem desirable than the hammer type..

Bawanna
05-30-2011, 07:00 PM
I love the old Smith Lemon Squeezers myself. Wish I had one. I think they are even making some again, not that that really means anything since it'll just be on the very long list.

I still ain't giving up my 1911 for one though.

Willieboy
05-30-2011, 07:41 PM
It seems pocket carry has become more popular.

Has the Magna Porting thrown off the guns point of impact? I ask because a buddy of mine had his SP101 ported by Weigrand and his stock stights were way off thereafter.

MrToad
05-31-2011, 03:50 PM
I'm going to show some of these threads to my wife. She's still mulling concealed carry but isn't sure about the right revolver package.

BTW, Steve-$, I like your avatar of Reddy Kilowatt.

jocko
05-31-2011, 04:00 PM
I love the old Smith Lemon Squeezers myself. Wish I had one. I think they are even making some again, not that that really means anything since it'll just be on the very long list.

I still ain't giving up my 1911 for one though.

was that not called the bodyguard back then, with the grip safety. We couldnot give um away back then, but I thinik I wuld loove top have one, for reasons I have not a clue.:smash:

correction, it was called the model 40 centennial, also called the lemon squeezer. I think they offer it today in limited quanties I know they offer a fully engraved goldinlay Model 40 for $6500 limit of I think 20 ofwhich about half are already sold.

oops: correction. no longer offered, other than the engraved %6500 version.

jocko
05-31-2011, 04:01 PM
It seems pocket carry has become more popular.

Has the Magna Porting thrown off the guns point of impact? I ask because a buddy of mine had his SP101 ported by Weigrand and his stock stights were way off thereafter.

why porting would thrown off POI. My magna ported guns shot the same before and after porting. Never heard of weigrand so I can't say how theirs would react but they should not..

Bawanna
05-31-2011, 04:10 PM
I can't see porting throwing the sights off either. Shouldn't make any difference at all that I can see.

I don't recall what they called the lemon squeezers, I always called em lemon squeezers. Bodyguard sounds familiar.

I suspect they weren't hot sellers cause they were a little different. I a little different too so we're sort of a match I guess.

I best go snoop around the Smith site and see if I was right about them still being made again.

Steve-$
05-31-2011, 07:22 PM
The porting did not affect the sighting at all but, adding the big dot sight has made all the difference in the world for me.

The porting has made a positive difference with getting back on target quicker. Very noticeable when shooting .357's out of it.

The biggest challenge was lining up the CT with the front sight at 7 yards which ended up up being a piece of cake after I broke down and got a Sightmark laser chamber bore sighter from Cabela's.

I probability have more invested in this 340sc than I should, but think my life is worth it and would do it again.

I can't wait to get the K9 back with the big dot installed to see how she is going work.

:)

Steve-$
05-31-2011, 07:25 PM
I'm going to show some of these threads to my wife. She's still mulling concealed carry but isn't sure about the right revolver package.

BTW, Steve-$, I like your avatar of Reddy Kilowatt.

Thanks!

I work at our local electrical utility and find it fitting.