PDA

View Full Version : trigger pull length CW/reset upgrades possible?

atl3axj
05-30-2011, 11:36 PM
Hi,
After a lot of research, I bought a CW9 which I love dearly. Trigger pull is long by design and could use some smoothing up. Is there anything I can do to a) smooth out/lighten the trigger pull b) shorten the overtravel/reduce reset? It's every bit as bad/long as my Ruger SP101 DOA

Also, does anyone have experience with Fist holsters? I have acually ordered Remora holster but would like to have a attachable IWB holster that's minimally intrusive.

Thanks in advance.
BTW. I just registered on KT, but have been lurking for a while and really like the mindset and openminded behavior by the members.

eaglefrq
05-30-2011, 11:47 PM
I ordered a Wollf Springs 5 pound striker spring. I could tell a definite difference in trigger pull and smoothness. Here is the website

http://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm?page=items&cID=1&mID=29#188

TucsonMTB
05-31-2011, 12:17 AM
Hi,
After a lot of research, I bought a CW9 which I love dearly. Trigger pull is long by design and could use some smoothing up. Is there anything I can do to a) smooth out/lighten the trigger pull b) shorten the overtravel/reduce reset? It's every bit as bad/long as my Ruger SP101 DOA

Thanks in advance.
BTW. I just registered on KT, but have been lurking for a while and really like the mindset and openminded behavior by the members.
Welcome! At the risk of sounding like Jocko, the easiest way to smooth out the trigger really is by shooting. Yes, you can also dry fire, but there's just no substitute for the real thing. ;)

At the same time, you will build a comfort level with the pistol and gain trigger skills that will overcome just about an perceived short coming that you notice early on.

Besides, it is fun! :D

dannyeller
05-31-2011, 12:41 AM
Dry firing will mate the pieces together. Others on this post could tell you more about the shorter reset elite triggers and if they'll work in a CW9. I haven't the experience with them.

I did do some polishing of the contact points of the cocking cam. See:

http://www.kahr.com/Pistols/Kahr-CW9.asp

But the biggest increase in smoothness was having the parts NP3 coated by Robar. It won't help the length of pull but it will make an OK trigger a great one. But get ready for a lighter wallet. Robar is great but NOT cheap.

atl3axj
05-31-2011, 12:42 AM
Thanks. Iam kind of hesitant messing with reduced power striker spring. do not want misfire when i need it most.
But thank you for the suggestions.

MW surveyor
05-31-2011, 03:32 AM
I've installed the 5 lb striker spring and have had no light strikes in the last 400 rounds since it was installed using both factory FMJs, my SD ammo and a whole bunch of my reloaded ammo. Jocko has way more that this through his PM9.

I have not added a trigger stop as this could get you into trouble. I practice with both my CW9 and my SP101 so there is consistency in my trigger pull/reset.

As with anything YMMV

jocko
05-31-2011, 04:12 AM
Thanks. Iam kind of hesitant messing with reduced power striker spring. do not want misfire when i need it most.
But thank you for the suggestions.

get no misfires from the 5# striker spring. I have 32,000 rounds out of my PM9 with the same 5# striker i put in from the git go. Glocks come with a 5# striker -factory. You can't shorten the trigger length of 3/8" but you can reduce poundage which will certainly make a difference. What you decide to do is your choice . No smoothing out necessary in a kahr, they are very very smooth out of the box and certainly shootng it will smooth places that you would never be able to even get to..all kahrs today have the elite trigger in them.

jocko
05-31-2011, 04:15 AM
Dry firing will mate the pieces together. Others on this post could tell you more about the shorter reset elite triggers and if they'll work in a CW9. I haven't the experience with them.

I did do some polishing of the contact points of the cocking cam. See:

http://www.kahr.com/Pistols/Kahr-CW9.asp

But the biggest increase in smoothness was having the parts NP3 coated by Robar. It won't help the length of pull but it will make an OK trigger a great one. But get ready for a lighter wallet. Robar is great but NOT cheap.

kahrs today have the elite trigger in them. The ONLY kahr that never came factory with the elite trigger in them was the K9 and back then they had the nypd trigger in them which was 1/2" length of pull instead of 3/8" travel which is called the elite trigger.. so for sure if you have a cw,PM, P, tp MK series, u have the elite trigger in it..

ripley16
05-31-2011, 04:51 AM
Welcome to the forum. One of the easiest things you can do to keep your trigger action smooth is to keep the parts clean and well lubed. The entire trigger action is open, so that gas, soot, carbon and other undesirables can accumulate on the various parts. This openness also makes them fairly easy to clean.

jocko
05-31-2011, 05:51 AM
amen to that!

phred
05-31-2011, 05:23 PM
I don't have anything more to offer about the trigger pull/reset than what has already been posted, but to answer your question about FIST holsters, I think they are great. I carried my K9, and a later a CW9 in one of the leather IWB/OWB convertable hoslters for years. Great holster, very well made. I also had an ultra-thin kydex IWB for my PM9. That holster really works to take advantage of the thinness of the Kahrs.