PDA

View Full Version : Break in question

Bigcube
09-04-2009, 04:38 AM
I've recently purchased a PM9 and have a little over 200 rounds through it. I've had a couple of failures which I question if it is related to break in. It seems like there is nothing on the barrel end of the guide pin to positively locate the nail head like end. If if shifts position the other end of the guide pin hangs on the slide and prevents it going back all the way. Here is a pic of what is happening.
http://www.bigcube.org/yb/Slide1.jpg
Has anyone had this happen? Seems like if there was a little better recess in the barrel where the pin rests it would not shift and cause it hang the other end in the slide.

500KV
09-04-2009, 06:39 AM
Bigcube, I have seen cases where folks have installed the recoil spring backwards; IOW the open end of the spring should go toward the muzzle.
It's an easy mistake to make, however this may be totally unrelated to your situation.
Just thought I'd throw it out there.

kpm9
09-04-2009, 08:02 AM
Your recoil spring and guide rod doesn't look to be installed properly.
It would help if you removed the slide from the frame and left the recoil spring and barrel in the slide as is and took a picture of the slide assembly.

Bigcube
09-04-2009, 12:37 PM
The open end of the spring is towards the muzzle. What seems to be happening is the guide pin moves to the right or left at the chamber end of the barrel. Then the little cap on the end of the guide pin will hang on the slide.

ltxi
09-05-2009, 05:15 PM
That isn't right, for whatever reason. The front end of the guide rod should flush with the slide. And the cap is the same diameter as the guide rod proper, so it shouldn't be able to hang up. Any possibility the cap on yours is coming unscrewed....I've heard that can happen?

Raoul
09-05-2009, 06:32 PM
Just in case you haven't run across it yet, here's video on assembly/disassembly (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2cZgVg_SwA).

Gottabkiddin
09-09-2009, 12:33 PM
I've recently purchased a PM9 and have a little over 200 rounds through it. I've had a couple of failures which I question if it is related to break in. It seems like there is nothing on the barrel end of the guide pin to positively locate the nail head like end. If if shifts position the other end of the guide pin hangs on the slide and prevents it going back all the way. Here is a pic of what is happening.
http://www.bigcube.org/yb/Slide1.jpg
Has anyone had this happen? Seems like if there was a little better recess in the barrel where the pin rests it would not shift and cause it hang the other end in the slide.

Looks like the recoil spring isn't in correctly. The Flared end should be placed at the forward end of the slide.

Bigcube
09-09-2009, 08:13 PM
By flared end of the spring do you mean the open end? If that is the case it is. The cap on the end of the guide pin has a slight taper. The larger end is facing out. I have thought if the taper was a little more pronounced it would not catch the slide like it did when it caused the FTF. I thought about hitting the end cap on the guide pin with a dremmel tool and rounding the inside corner of the cap on the end. My thought is it won't catch if it has no sharp corner. I still haven't put a lot of rounds though it but it did happen again the last time I had it out.

Gottabkiddin
09-10-2009, 08:43 AM
By flared end of the spring do you mean the open end? If that is the case it is. The cap on the end of the guide pin has a slight taper. The larger end is facing out. I have thought if the taper was a little more pronounced it would not catch the slide like it did when it caused the FTF. I thought about hitting the end cap on the guide pin with a dremmel tool and rounding the inside corner of the cap on the end. My thought is it won't catch if it has no sharp corner. I still haven't put a lot of rounds though it but it did happen again the last time I had it out.

Here's a couple of pics to help illustrate what I was saying. I hope that helps ya. Good luck.