PDA

View Full Version : Buffalo Bore Vs. Remington GS 102 grain

wyntrout
12-15-2009, 04:43 PM
OOPS!! I moved this from the P380 Forum accidentally. I'll leave it here for info and put it back on the P380 Forum under Ammo.

Quote from: MadKap on Today at 05:06:01 AM:

"How does that buffalo bore compare to golden sabre in the p380?"

MadKap, I did a search on this site for the Buffalo Bore ammo, as well as the BB site. I don't know exactly what the Remington GS ballistics are, but if they are anything like most of the others from Reviews and testing the P380, GS are probably about 850-900 fps out of the P380 with around 200 ft-lbs energy. The BBs ought to be around 150-200 fps muzzle velocity higher and around 280 ft-lbs energy. BB test from a KelTec p3AT gave 1100 fps for the 90 grain JHP round that I chose. Its barrel is a tad longer, but not much difference in performance I would think.
Checkout 380 Auto +P Pistol & Handgun Ammunition (http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=129) . There is a lot of info there. From what I read Kahr finally said that the P380 could handle the BB since it was +P capable.
Cabelas has a sale on BB right now and a $20 coupon or free shipping on orders over $100. :D (The offers are on anything, not just the BB.)
I think that this is the stoutest ammo you can get for the P380. I had planned on using Hornady Critical Defense ammo, but may use the BB 90gr JHP for CC. I'll have to try both after I get my PP380 and break it in. My normal practice is to use standard velocity ammo with high performance bullets that match the ballistics of my practice ammo. If I go with the BB, that will be different. I won't be practicing much with +P ammo -- ballistic differences don't matter so much at close range. Performance or knock-down power matters, though!
I hope that helps a bit. Take care. :)
Wynn

Update: I checked the factory ballistics for the 102gr. GS and they list 940 fps and 200 ft-lbs at the muzzle. For the P380 that would probably equate to 800-850 fps and a bit less than 200 ft-lbs based on the drop for factory vs. P380 barrel that I've seen in tests and reviews. Check out the product reviews by magazine on Kahr's site:
Kahr Arms / .380 ACP Models / P380 Series (http://www.kahr.com/PA-1_380_p.html)
Several of them have test tables of ammo tried and accuracy -- very informative -- real tests. :53: That's my thoughts, anyhow.
Wynn

500KV
12-15-2009, 05:26 PM
I never have tried the BB ammo but that 115gr 9mm+P+ stuff is smokin' hot isn't it?

9mm Luger (+P+) 115 gr. Jacketed Hollow Point(1,400 fps/M.E. 500 ft.lbs.)

wyntrout
12-15-2009, 07:02 PM
Hi, 500KV.
Yes, I searched this and the P380 Forum on the BB ammo and it seems to be the most powerful stuff available. I certainly don't want to shoot much in practice at a about a buck a round AND the wear and tear on my little P380... when I get it! I ordered 6 boxes or 120 rounds and with the $20 off, it was just under $115 shipped. The BB was on sale, too, over $4 a box cheaper than the BB site. I like saving money -- hate retail.
I'm still kind of kicking myself for not going ahead and getting an LCP while Gander Mountain had thme on sale here for $299.99 a few weeks ago. It has been such a long wait for the night-sighted P380 -- ordered and paid fo 30 April! I'll probably take it to bed with me... Ha! Ha! I'll feel so much better when I'm carrying that instead of the .22 TPH.
Well, have to go entertain my wife during her two nights off -- watch recorded NCIS. My favorite character is Siva -- all business and competent!
Cheers!
Wynn

jocko
12-15-2009, 08:08 PM
Hi, 500KV.
Yes, I searched this and the P380 Forum on the BB ammo and it seems to be the most powerful stuff available. I certainly don't want to shoot much in practice at a about a buck a round AND the wear and tear on my little P380... when I get it! I ordered 6 boxes or 120 rounds and with the $20 off, it was just under $115 shipped. The BB was on sale, too, over $4 a box cheaper than the BB site. I like saving money -- hate retail.
I'm still kind of kicking myself for not going ahead and getting an LCP while Gander Mountain had thme on sale here for $299.99 a few weeks ago. It has been such a long wait for the night-sighted P380 -- ordered and paid fo 30 April! I'll probably take it to bed with me... Ha! Ha! I'll feel so much better when I'm carrying that instead of the .22 TPH.
Well, have to go entertain my wife during her two nights off -- watch recorded NCIS. My favorite character is Siva -- all business and competent!
Cheers!
Wynn

ought to see if they can just get you the P380 standard version and worry about the night sights later. It would speed ownership up alot faster. My bet is that as of today kahr has not shipped any P380's at all with night sights and it might still be awhile. Just my 2 cents worth. A bird i the hand is worth two in the bush..

wyntrout
12-15-2009, 08:39 PM
Hi, 500KV.
Cheers!
Wynn

wyntrout
12-15-2009, 08:53 PM
Hi, Jocko. Yes, I've thought about that a lot. I could have had one and had NS installed many months ago. And 500KV, that 1400 fps 9mm +P+ sounds more like the .357 mags I used to load -- pretty stout. That's a lot of punishment for much shooting, but should take a BG out.
I remember the guy that got me into reloading back in the 70's firing some full magnum loads using a 25# bag of lead shot for a rest. He blew everything off the concrete table but the bag... and it was on fire. I think those were a little too hot!
Reloading was fun and I was always very careful. I never had a squib or a "proof" round. I was checking everything and spot checking the powder measure drops. That was a very satisfying pastime. When I got here in Jacksonville, the only place I had to shoot -- an indoor range -- no picking up brass, so I sold most of my gear and use cheap practice bulk 9mm ammo or Wolf .45 ACP. Sticking to like ballistics keeps point of impact pretty close. I've been dying to go to the range, but was waiting for the P380.
I plan to shoot that "like I stole it", to quote someone here abouts.
Cheers for now. :)
Wynn